WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Down Pants as Sleep System supplement

As I get more experience backpacking, I'm trying to move more toward modular solutions that I can fine tune over a longer hike to suit the environment I'm passing through. I am considering down pants (probably the GooseFeet) as a means of supplementing my 30F EE Revelation quilt for an upcoming long PCT section this summer, hopefully finishing out the PCT.

My plan is to hike from Tuolumne northbound and make it to Canada, if I hike fast enough to do so within the time available. My planned start date is July 1 from Tuolumne. Normally in the Sierra Nevada, I use a warmer sleeping bag (my zPacks 10F) which weighs about 7 ounces more than my EE Revelation 30F. I'm thinking that if I couple the EE 30F with both down pants and the Montbell UL Down Parka (which I always carry) that I could push the serviceable temperature range for the EE down to at least the mid 20s which should be sufficient for the Sierra in July and August. My thinking is that I start with the down pants to supplement my system when leaving Tuolumne and then send them home somewhere north of Tahoe where the elevations get lower and it gets to be much warmer at night. Then, if needed, I can have them sent back to me when I make it to Washington state and encounter cooler weather. My Montbell parka would stay with me throughout.

I feel like this is a simpler way of doing things than the alternative - starting with the zPacks 10F, sending that home and having my EE 30F sent to me for the middle part of my hike, and then getting the zPacks 10F back toward the end. Although as I type this, maybe it isn't much simpler since I'm still having to have something send back and forth.

(My underlying assumption here is that the 30F EE Revelation may be inadequate for *parts* of a Tuolumne to Canada hike ranging from July 1 into early to mid September ... but maybe I'm wrong on that at it could work throughout, even without down pants. I do think it would be overkill and silly to take the 10F zPacks through NorCal and Oregon in mid summer).
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

-

on cold weather trips, I figure on cold/ wet feet while walking, but sleep a lot better if the feet are warm at night - tried down booties, and they work but are a one purpose item in an already heavy winter pack

the two ways I use now are insulated pants pulled down over the feet ( and the cuffs cinched tight) or zip off sleeves from the down jacket put on the feet for sleeping (with the remaining vest/ hood still worn)

my heavy and light insulated pants are both synthetic (I always figured pants get wet easy and avoided down) - but with the new water resistant down I may go for down pants

I have what I refer to as my down pajamas. Pants, jacket, hood and down booties.They usually stay in the pack but if temps are going to get close to the limit of my quilts on go the pajamas, call them an insurance policy.

I have had GooseFeet Gear down booties for the last four years and they are terrific. I still get cold feet from time to time but it's immeasurably better than before. That's one of the reasons I am thinking about their down pants.

I'm going to take the EE 30F on my trip through at AT in Shenandoah in early March to see how it performs. I will also have my zPacks 10F with me in case it is needed. I'm debating ordering the GooseFeet down pants as well just to test how different systems work. Some extra weight but good discovery for my PCT section, I hope. Early March is, of course, full winter conditions in SNP and should provide a variety of temps to test gear in

Images

What's the weight penalty: 30 degree quilt + down pants + down jacket vs. 10 degree bag? I wouldn't think you'd need to carry a down jacket through that part of the PCT. Certainly you wouldn't wear it while hiking. In camp, you've got the sleeping system to keep warm. I had a Marmot Dri-Clime Windshirt (actually a jacket) which once or twice I wore with a long sleeved smartwool 150 weight top and my eVent rain jacket. Even that was too much while hiking.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

T 20 f I used two different sleeping systems :
    1) 20f rated sleeping bag , liner socks merino long johns , Merino t and merino/possum down hat and gloves.
    2) 32f rated bags, the above plus down pants and thin down jacket.
    The result was the same as far as I could tell, but I preferred version 2 because it meant I went to bed with the clothes that I had on (I don't hike with those layers so they are clean and dry...) and that made it much easier to get out for a midnight look at the stars...
    The second version has almost exactly the same amount of down , it is a bit heavier but it has double duty so overall it is lighter in my pack.

T 20 f I used two different sleeping systems :
    1) 20f rated sleeping bag , liner socks merino long johns , Merino t and merino/possum down hat and gloves.
    What is your comfort level with 1)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    What is your comfort level with 1)?
    According to WM about 20f (Ultralite)
    The other one is the Summerlite.
    The point I was trying to make is that, for me, having about the same amount of down ended up with a similar result.

I've starting using a modular sleep system for spring/fall and rather like it - a wearable down quilt/serape paired with a down bag. Then just lighter weight clothing insulation matched for active day-time hiking and reserved for emergency back-up sleeping insulation for unusually cold weather.

During the shorter daylight hours in spring/fall, there's more non-sleeping time at the campsite where I want an extra layer (ponch/serape) to cover the temp drop of sun setting, and being relatively idle. And then again, another layer (down bag) for sleeping through the coldest part of the night.

I like the poncho/serape format for its 'mitten effect' - all limbs inside sitting cross-legged on a pad is about as warm as you can get for the weight. I can also use my alcohol stove as Palmer furnace candle for a luxurious deep heat soak before going to bed, and first thing in the AM, if I feel chilled.

As mentioned above, a modular system will weigh more than a equivalently rated single bag, but if it can negate the need for extra wearable campsite insulation, then perhaps overall weight/bulk will be lower. If I were in the OP's shoes, I could simply send the down bag home, and back out, for the colder portions.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    According to WM about 20f (Ultralite)
    The other one is the Summerlite.
    The point I was trying to make is that, for me, having about the same amount of down ended up with a similar result.
    What I meant was...will this setup allow you to be comfortable or to just make it thru the night?

I guess I should have asked...what's your comfort level with both setups.

++ New Posts ++