WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Studies show hiking in nature is good for your mental health

Interesting article. I have been walking 3-5 miles every day in the woods and have not gone crazy yet, so it must be true.

https://medium.com/@jameshorrox/the-...g-53e8260ab46d
    More walking, less talking.

Journal Entries

Thanks for posting this!

I hear good things about fishin’ too.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.84)]Also click on "Nomadology" at the bottom.

"the transition from nomadic tribes to more settled societies in the ‘Neolithic revolution’ as “the worst mistake in the history of the human race”.
    It seems that the reason people like long distance hiking so much is that our brains are wired to be nomads. It's the reason for the strange calmness that we feel on the trail.
    [/COLOR]

I grew up hunting and fishing.
    Moved away to college and got busy. Ever since then through my "professional" life I've only really dabbled in the outdoors. Occasional Day hiking, car camping, got into flat water kayaking heavily for a few years, scuba pretty heavy for a while, a little bit of snow skiing in college and a few years after.... stuff like that.

I've OFTEN missed though, the regular sitting in the woods I used to do. I don't miss the hunting and the actual fishing really, but sitting there in the cold for sometimes hours...as still as possible.... watching the animals, the bugs, the clouds.... seeing owls glide silently through the trees, trees swaying in the breeze.....or in the summer quietly fishing the lilly pads.....I miss that stuff all the time. Yep, it's good for the soul and office life and life in the "matrix" as I've seen some call it....isn't conducive for good mental health.

And why I'm going crazy in an area not known for its trees...and few hiking trails.

https://qz.com/804022/health-benefit...orest-bathing/ shinrin-yoku - forest bathing

Read these two books by Richard Louv; they contain many cited studies acclaiming the benefits of nature on human health:

Last Child in the Woods https://www.amazon.com/Last-Child-Wo...NSBAX89Y5STB8M

The Nature Principle https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Princi...SNRDSMP2SMP17G

I just have one question.
    How many taxpayer dollars were spent on these “scientific studies”?
    Hey.
    Why is it that common sense requires scientific study?
    Wayne

yeah, I reccon a lot of these are busy work dreamed up for grad students just so that they can have a "study" that can be reported justifying further grants

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    And why I'm going crazy in an area not known for its trees...and few hiking trails.
    Thought I was going to lose my mind when I was stuck in Kansas for two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I just have one question.
    How many taxpayer dollars were spent on these “scientific studies”?
    Hey.
    Why is it that common sense requires scientific study?
    Wayne
    That's two questions.
    More walking, less talking.

Did you arrive at that conclusion after a scientific study?
    Grinning.
    Wayne

If it doesn't have a scientific double blind peer reviewed third party independently conducted stamp of approval it is not authentic knowledge. Add scientific as an adjective to anything and all of a sudden it's assumed that thing offers fact and reason. It's often employed to make claims "true." Adding the adjective scientific or claiming
    "it's based on/in science" makes that thing meaningful often to the exclusion of any other world view, faith, or philosophy. This attitude/belief/world view is a philosophy in itself labeled as Scientism - a growing body of "believers." Most adherents of this philosophy staunchly deny or ignore they are embracing a philosophy or this world view is based on other philosophies. It's a philosophy on the rise and rooted in the philosophies of Empiricism and Positivism, that empirical knowledge - or truth - only comes through the known senses and can be physically measured; it is the ONLY knowledge that is real. It's closely aligned with Materialism. Adherents of Scientism often get agitated and angry if this is pointed out and attempt to avoid considering it.

I'm a scientist and philosopher but not a follower of Scientism.

http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_scientism.html

Too bad much of “The sky is falling” climate hysteria doesn’t meet your criteria.
    Never allow facts to interfere with your agenda.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Thought I was going to lose my mind when I was stuck in Kansas for two months.
    At least Kansas has grass! I'd even take that right now. I picked a bad part of Arizona to winter in...I know there are prettier places than here, south-east of Vegas.

++ New Posts ++