WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default cold weather gear

Could anyone who has started in March at Springer tell me what gear and clothes they took with them.

Quote Originally Posted by R M View Post
    Could anyone who has started in March at Springer tell me what gear and clothes they took with them.
    It's important to understand that it can be a pretty harsh climate in March at springer. Most experienced hikers have told me to hold onto "cold weather" gear till about May.

After talking with many experienced hikers, I'm upping my packweight for the beginning and end of the AT.

Rain jacket, rain pants, and rain gloves are coming along.

I'll have an OR Helium II (which is pretty light for the conditions one could face)

I'm thinking about picking up the matching pants and a pair of MLD rain mitts

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R M View Post
    Same gear as started with on Mar 12 2017 except I had an extra set of thermal bottoms which I'm not taking this year as I'm starting 3 weeks later and 318 miles from Springer. But will throw them in if the weather dictates I must. https://lighterpack.com/r/czb3eu
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I didn’t start in March because I am going to start this March. However, here is my layering system I have used for training and am taking to Springer:

https://youtu.be/pgw0GILjvDw
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Woke up May 21st just outside of Pearisburg, VA to find it snowing.

Outer windproof/waterproof layer - Precip top/bottom Zpack cuben mitten shells
    100 wt fleece top and bottom
    Balacava and fleece mittens
    silk wt polypro top and bottoms
    30 degree WM down bag

This will work down to the teens if you are willing to sleep in everything and spending a cold night or two. Keep you winter stuff 'til you pass Grayson highlands.

Polypropylene Glove and Mitten Liners?
    Years ago I had poly liners. They were very thin, just like the thin poly liner socks. But I have not seen them for sale in years. There must be some obvious sources I'm not thinking of. Suggestions?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slow John View Post
    Polypropylene Glove and Mitten Liners?
    Years ago I had poly liners. They were very thin, just like the thin poly liner socks. But I have not seen them for sale in years. There must be some obvious sources I'm not thinking of. Suggestions?
    $6/pair at http://www.theunderwearguys.com/poly...ers-p-226.html These look like the ones you want; I've ordered a pair and will soon see. I want very thin and stretchy poly liners. They are invaluable in really cold weather underneath warm mittens; when you need dexterity you don't have to use your bare hands. theunderwearguys.com have cheap long underwear and other fleece stuff.

Something that I like is a fleece scarf; it can give you a lot of control and flexibility in warmth.

Go to walmart right now and buy several pairs of $7 fleece gloves---so you don't have to pay $30 for a pair of unneeded North Face fleece liners.

I bring my full winter kit in March---because we had the Blizzard of '93 on March 13/14. Even my microspikes and snow shovel.

Here's a surprise snowstorm from May 7 of last year on a NC mountaintop at 5,300 feet---and close to the AT---

Images

I got the $6 polypro liner gloves from the underwearguys today. They are exactly what I want: thin, stretchy, perfect for when you want liner gloves for fine manipulations. Possibly someone with large hands might find them too tight, but they are perfect for me. Tipiwalter's suggestion of $7 fleece gloves at Walmart sounds good to me. I'm a fan of carrying more than one pair of gloves/mitts in snow; they get wet or lost and a backup is always good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    $6/pair at http://www.theunderwearguys.com/poly...ers-p-226.html These look like the ones you want; I've ordered a pair and will soon see. I want very thin and stretchy poly liners. They are invaluable in really cold weather underneath warm mittens; when you need dexterity you don't have to use your bare hands. theunderwearguys.com have cheap long underwear and other fleece stuff.

Something that I like is a fleece scarf; it can give you a lot of control and flexibility in warmth.

A pack of nitrile first aid gloves comes in pretty handy. Light, multi-purpose, waterproof, inexpensive. Not terribly long lasting but used as liner should do OK.

++ New Posts ++