this may be an odd question but here goes...I have often heard it said that a LD hiker burns roughly 5,000 - 6,000 calories a day and consumes maybe 2,000. I recall how much weight I lost on my thru hike and how I actually felt a bit weaker near the end of my thru hike. So, the question is for you medical experts....what is the limit of this calorie depletion? Would there be a point that one simply gets to weak and the hike would end due to illness or overall 'wearing down". Or can the body adapt to this in some way? (I don't understand how that would be possible but...) I guess what I am asking is would it be physically possible to be a "perpetual LD hiker"? Or is there a limit?

On reflecting back, I wasn't the most judicious shopper on my resupplies...I would just grab the usual hiker stuff (Knorrs, snickers, peanut butter, etc.) at whatever convenience store or Dollar General I happened into. Would one be able to maintain longer with "better" dietary choices acquired via maildrops? Some of the people I hiked with and/or have met on the trail over the years have certainly seemed more knowledgeable in the science of nutrition than myself As always, thanks in advance for any replies.