WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for suggestions/thoughts re: winter mittens designed for extreme cold?

My very old ski gloves from when I was a kid need to be replaced and I've been thinking that a pair of mittens designed for the extreme cold might be the way to go. I don't currently do any NH winter peak-bagging but I'd like them to be appropriate for that level of extreme cold if I ever decided to give that a try. I also occasionally ski and I'd like them to be appropriate for that if that factors into your thoughts. Basically when I shovel snow or go for a nice winter day hike I'd like to have some mittens that will keep my fingers warm and dry. I'd prefer synthetic and I think I'd like some sort of water proof outside layer.

Can anyone link the type of mitten you'd consider given this description? I'd suppose waiting to February/March to purchase them might give me a chance to get them on sale - any thoughts on that? I was looking at REI and the over $100 price tags makes me want to make sure I get this purchase correct. Do people generally wear a thin glove inside these mittens? I saw that some of them come with that. Do those that prefer lobster claws instead of mitten care to chime in why I should consider those over mittens? How key are the zippered pockets for putting in hand warmers or venting? How important are long gauntlet cuffs or wrist cinches?

Thank you in advance for any links or insights!
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

NH winter peak-bagging vs shoveling snow with one mitten? You don’t ask for much!

I personally have a mitten/glove system that I can use in 4 seasons, including winter camping in the Adirondacks at -20. Basically, think of layering for your hands. Liner gloves, thick synthetic fleece mittens, and a set of oversized WPB nylon mitten shells on top. All three together is a super warm and waterproof combo for deep cold, and I can use just the liner gloves when I have to tie knots or adjust cookware. In spring and fall, I’ll leave the fleece layer at home but use the shells and gloves in case of a cold windy rain, etc.

Personally I dont want to depend on hand warmers. One set of fleece mittens I bought at REI had fingerless gloves covered by a mitten top that you could fold back. It looked great. But it had a magnetic clasp sewn into the palm to secure it which made me unable to use my compass!

Glogg

Images

These mitts have served me well on some very high, cold mountain climbs all over the world, including some extended -25 deg F temps (with wind probably -60F or so):

https://www.marmot.com/expedition-mitt/16380.html

"Only" $115. When I bought mine maybe 15 years ago, they were more like $60. I think these are the same mitts, sure look like mine. I do use a liner glove inside.

The best mitten/shell combo I had were designed for ice climbers. I've worn them out, but in their prime the shells were waterproof and wind proof. The mittens were very thick fleece and usually too warm. I wore these in double digit negative wind chills above tree line.

For more "moderate" conditions I have a lighter pair of fleece mittens and a pair of heavy wool mittens. Shells are very important for wind protection. I often wear light glove liners inside the mittens so I can use my fingers to work zippers and buckles without them instantly becoming frost bitten.

My current pair of mittens and shells were made by a local outfit - Ragged Mountain. Unfortunately, they don't have a very good web site set up for on line sales.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

These https://www.amazon.com/Dachstein-Woo.../dp/B0152EHMJ0 and these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Su...-/322046216914
    This is what I used back when I did winter trips in the Whites and Adirondacks. Your hands will be warm.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

OR Altimitts. I usually just use the liner, but the shells are insulated, too. Kinda pricey, though.

Not mittens, but I was given a tip by a former railroad worker from NY. The only thing she could work in that kept her fingers warm was neoprene diving gloves... Around $30 for the pair I bought. I thought that was expensive, but seeing some of these other options, they're down right cheap by comparison. Maybe worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    OR Altimitts. I usually just use the liner, but the shells are insulated, too. Kinda pricey, though.
    I second this. I have a pair and have used them in some pretty crappy conditions around the world from S. America to Nepal. If you shop around you can find them on close-out reasonably priced for what you are getting. There's also a few climbing websites that they frequently pop up for sale on. Guys buy them for 1 trip and then sell them.

here's a pair I found on close-out. Still more expensive than shopping the forums, but not too bad

https://www.sunnysports.com/p-orsamm...-mitts-for-men

here's a used pair of Alti Mitts. Don't know if they sold yet or not. Might be worth a shot. http://www.mountainproject.com/forum...-or-alti-mitts

Images

Years ago I needed some very warm mittens for a winter camping trip to northern Minnesota.
    I wound up with mittens from Out Door Research that consisted of a removable outer mitten that is wind and water proof that had a separate inner mitt of fleece.
    I wore them over thin glove liners so I'd have a glove with fingers when I took the mittens off.
    That combo was more than enough for the -25 degree temperatures.

I've had a pair of these I used for work. They work fine but do make you swet and are hard to put on and take off. for sub 0 weather they are perfict and block all wind. (175 psi. tested myself)

Recently went through the same process. Decided on a pair of Black Diamond Mercury Mitts. At $110 fir mittens, they better last my whole life and then some.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

A few years ago I stumbled on a pair of Dakine Titan mittens for about ten bucks at Marshall's of all places. They work well enough. They have touchscreen-compatible fleece liner gloves, a Gore-Tex membrane, hand warmer pockets, nose wipe pads, and idiot cords. (I've heard them called 'safety cords' but I'm more a lineman than a safety, so I'm happy with 'idiot'.) They have a goggle scraper on one thumb, but that's really a gimmick and doesn't work all that well.

Some folks complain that they're not warm. They may have issues with build quality. I might have just got lucky with my pair.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++