WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Why did you quit your AT thru-hike?

So many start the AT, but so few finish. I assume the 3 main reasons to quit are
    1. it was too hard
    2. I ran out of time
    3. I ran out of money

Does that pretty much sum it up, or is there more to it than that?

i was not havin' fun anymore

Mostly, it got boring. I never managed to find a group or friend to hike with for very long. I was 37 at the time -- too slow for the youngsters, too fast for the oldsters.

It had nothing to do with money or injury.

Torn rotator cuff at week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Torn rotator cuff at week 1.
    You walking on your hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emergency at home, son needed surgery and than the day before I was going back to the trail I got blood clots in my lungs. A lot of the hikers left the first week because it was just plain terrible hiking weather in rained for the first 8-10 days. I started April 12th, 2015 it was cold too some nights and I remember it hailing and snowing on Blood Mtn. while listing to rifles firing as the army ranger's assaulted the Mtn. doing training exercises. But they did leave plenty of water in gallon jugs before we made the climb up the hill. Army trail Angels are cool.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

I have MS which gives me fatigue and weakness problems especially later in the day. So one day I twisted my ankle then the next day i tore a ligament in my ankle. later in the day I just fell apart as core body temperature rose. I had to quit, I could not walk any more.

Getting sick - in my case, MRSA.

I think you can throw in a 4th and 5th category to your 3 based on the above responses. 4) Sick (either physically or just plain sick of hiking) or injury and 5) situation at home required getting off trail. Sometimes items 4 and 5 are used by hikers in lieu of item 1 but I think these 5 just about sum them up. i have thru hiked the AT but twice now have had to leave the BMT , which is obviously a much shorter trail,while attempting a thru hike due to item #5.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    I think you can throw in a 4th and 5th category to your 3 based on the above responses. 4) Sick (either physically or just plain sick of hiking) or injury and 5) situation at home required getting off trail. Sometimes items 4 and 5 are used by hikers in lieu of item 1 but I think these 5 just about sum them up. i have thru hiked the AT but twice now have had to leave the BMT , which is obviously a much shorter trail,while attempting a thru hike due to item #5.
    "used by" ... so you're suggesting that claims of sickness or injury sometimes less than honest?

If I were to add to the OP's list, I'd add "boring" or "not fun" or "not what I was expecting."

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post

If I were to add to the OP's list, I'd add "boring" or "not fun" or "not what I was expecting."
    yup.................

Images

I quit my thru attempt in the planning stages, 6 months before i started. Basically, i decided there was no way i wanted to hike thru the heat and humidity back there, so i decided to section in spring and fall over two years instead. Worked great! I stopped my first leg at 700 miles in may, as planned, sorta, had wanted to make 900, but too hot for this heat wimp. Got it all done though in cool springs and falls, basically never touched the AT in summer (except mid sept and on)

Journal Entries
    Images

Probably near the top is "psyched themselves out." Willpower just evaporated. It's on the individual - there are no right or wrong answers - to write his or her own narrative. My "why" is big enough to keep me on the trail once I depart the Hike Inn. I don't "think" that I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it. Maybe it will be "fun" and maybe it will be "boring" or maybe I'll get injured and have to spend a couple weeks reading my Kindle Paperwhite while something heals up. Maybe something will come up at home (It'll only be my wife and she'll be in an RV checking out antique stores in vicinity of the trail where I'm hiking) and I'll have to deal with it. But those are only contingencies. My "what" is Springer to Katahdin between Marcy and October of the year I thru-hike. I'd rather be bored in a green tunnel than sit in a cubicle writing plans.

Journal Entries

I suffered dehydration which made my A-fib much worse. My fault. I had fluids in my backpack pockets, but since my pack was wayyy heavy, I was reluctant to take it off to get a drink and then struggle heavily (pun intended) to put it back on. My piss poor prior planning. 2017 will be different.

Journal Entries

Let me add that what I hiked I enjoyed, and I met the greatest people.

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoc View Post
    I suffered dehydration which made my A-fib much worse. My fault. I had fluids in my backpack pockets, but since my pack was wayyy heavy, I was reluctant to take it off to get a drink and then struggle heavily (pun intended) to put it back on. My piss poor prior planning. 2017 will be different.
    What changes will you make in 2017 to improve your chances of making a successful thru hike?

You and Lone Wolf had similar reasons for getting off the trail. Would you attack the challenge differently if you were to try it again, or is the AT just not the right thing for you at this stage of your life?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Mostly, it got boring. I never managed to find a group or friend to hike with for very long. I was 37 at the time -- too slow for the youngsters, too fast for the oldsters.

It had nothing to do with money or injury.
    Let me try this post again...forgot to quote Rafe last time.

You and Lone Wolf had similar reasons for getting off the trail. Would you attack the challenge differently if you were to try it again, or is the AT just not the right thing for you at this stage of your life?

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoc View Post
    As someone with the forum name SFdoc, I expected more medical sense from you, unless your screen name doesnt mean Special Forces medic?

Journal Entries
    Images

In my estimation most folks quit a thru because it was not what they expected. A lot of thru-hikers, before they start, look at the positive things, the freedom, great views, meeting wonderful people, and enjoyable times around a camp fire. They soon find out that it's a hard life. A daily struggle of dealing with being dirty, being hungry, being worn out and wet. Getting up in the morning and having to put back on damp and dirty cloths and having to do it all over again. Being a thru-hiker was the hardest job I ever had.
    Grampie-N->2001

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++