WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    This has been my experience also. Maybe try those little tea light candles? Downside is that they may no be very safe and only burn for about 3 or 4 hours.
    You can buy cheapo battery operated tea light candles at Dollar Tree. That might work.

On the Long Trail I was sleeping in a TarpTent and during the night I had critters chewing on the cork handles of my trekking poles - which obviously were being used as tent supports. After that I sprinkled a pinch of Cayenne pepper on the ground around each pole every night. No problems since then - both out west on the Colorado trail as well as here in NH. We also use it at home in the flower and veggie gardens to keep chipmunks and other rodents away from where they're not wanted. Seems to work.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    This has been my experience also. Maybe try those little tea light candles? Downside is that they may no be very safe and only burn for about 3 or 4 hours.
    this would definitely work but like you were saying it is too much of a risk . the headlamps works for sure . it has failed me one time but i think this was a special mouse . that little mouse worked all night on a nest . he stole a bunch of toilet paper from my girlfriends pack and the next day when we were ready to go to use the woods it was discovered that lil guy had stolen our toilet paper . lucky for me that my girl likes to squirrel toilet paper away and had enough to get through until we could find some . Donald " grateful " ballard

Hike with a cat?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    Hike with a cat?
    To my great wonder, that is a thing:
    http://www.adventurecats.org/backcou...ts-trail-tips/

I would love to bring my Beagle/Bassett along however I fear his nose would dictate the direction and duration of my hike whether I like it or not....
    In other words he would hike his own hike and would also be hiking his hike. Anybody that owns a hound knows what I'm talking about, this probably also applies to other particularly stubborn cats and dogs as well.

On the plus side it would be pretty effective low tech critter protection and a side benefit is I could have my fill of moles and field mice so I would save a ton of $$ and ounces on food.

I stayed at an AT shelter a few years ago and we saw mice running around while it was still daylight. While discussing the situation, one hiker said not to worry about mice because he had a solution. He sprinkled cracker crumbs all across the front of the shelter and nobody suffered any mice encounters that night, no packs disturbed, etc. (and the shelter was packed full). He said that the mice will eat the crackers and head straight for the water source, swell up and feel full. Not sure if that is exactly what happened but the crackers were gone the next morning. He said he had seen it work numerous times. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Catching them is tough enough, squeezing them for urine is where the fight usually starts.
    This is the best post I've seen i a long time on whiteblaze.

I used to carry mousetraps, until someone gave me **** about it.
    Didn't want to harm the poor little critters.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    To my great wonder, that is a thing:
    http://www.adventurecats.org/backcou...ts-trail-tips/
    I'm on a private forum. A handful of folks hike (even backpack) with their cats. Thanks for the link.

Why I hike with a jrt....
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...14_634x435.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't hesitate hiking with my cat if only he would let me lead the way!

Eliminate the source of the vast majority of critter problems like rodents. Stay away from humans. Avoid beaten down CS's and AT lean-to's. And, if possible avoid anywhere humans have camped. Seriously, it's most often not a critter problem you're contending with. It is a human behavior generated problem. Most critter problems are the consequences of humaN behavior.

Famished pet attack rat snake also helps

In one of the trail journals i read of some guy scattering granola around his tent one night and having zero critter problems, though i figured he probably got lucky. The cracker trick seems pretty good. Saltines might even add to the effect.

Feeding wildlife on any level will increase human/animal contact in the long run. This type of habituation is even seen with thru hikers and the roadside feeds.

I've heard cinnamon oil can repel snakes...

Images

leaving food out for the mice is not the answer you are only making it worse .

Low tech To repel snakes

Much research has led to the discovery that cinnamon oil, clove oil and eugenol, (which is actually derived from clove oil ) have proved to be very effective at repelling snakes. For best results, the snakes have to be sprayed directly with the oil or immediately in the vicinity. Essential oils are made of tiny molecules that can quickly penetrate the skin and spread through the body. Such strong oils can cause extremely uncomfortable effects in the snake, which makes them flee.

Snakes have a unique organ called the "Jacobson's organ." This, as well as their smell receptors, make them very sensitive to the strong odors of cinnamon and clove essential oils. While the oils are also transdermal, seep into the skin quickly and cause discomfort, the oil's main power lies in its strong odor and the snakes' way of picking up scent.
    Using a common spray bottle, combine .08 oz. of the active ingredient, whether it be cinnamon, clove or eugenol, .08 oz. of the sodium lauryl sulfate and 7.84 oz. of water to make one cup. To be effective, spray the snake directly on the head or face. This will trigger the snake's escape behavior and make it flee.

You can also discourage snakes with a vapor fumigate application. Soak a piece of fabric in one of the oils and place it in an enclosed room. This will draw snakes out of the treated room and out of the enclosed space.

Snakes aren’t a concern....reason we have so many damn rodents....to few snakes....Just my $.02....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=saltysack;2189172]Snakes aren’t a concern....reason we have so many damn rodents....to few snakes....Just my $.02....

You are spot on my friend I couldn't agree with you more.... However for those out there afraid of snakes they may sleep a little easier with a little cinnamon oil at their side.

Ophidiophobia, or the fear of snakes, is one of the most common phobias in the United States. More than 54 percent of people carry some type of snake fear. Research from the University of Virginia indicates that the fear is innate, a fear that kept our ancestors alive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++