WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Low Tech Critter Protection

I've heard that dryer sheets and Vicks vapor rub keep the mice and other critters away..... Anybody have any experience with low tech critter protection that actually works?

Moth balls work too but then you got no frenz

I have slept in shelters where others have had dogs with them. Seems that having a dog in the shelter cuts down on mice and critter problems. Just my un-scientific observations.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I have slept in shelters where others have had dogs with them. Seems that having a dog in the shelter cuts down on mice and critter problems. Just my un-scientific observations.
    I would rather deal with the critters!��

Peppermint oil. I was having trouble with mice and was told about this oil. After using it I have not seen and signs of mice. I was wondering if it would work on my equipment while camping but have not tried yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    I've heard that dryer sheets and Vicks vapor rub keep the mice and other critters away..... Anybody have any experience with low tech critter protection that actually works?
    No but it will help cover up the hiker stink

+1 works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's common to use dryer sheets in boats and RVs when they go into winter storage to keep mice out. Many, myself included have had good success with them.

Journal Entries

I know that Vicks works for masking the smell of dead bodies during homicide investigations.
    Blackheart

Images

I have wondered if dog or cat hair carried in a small mesh bag would be effective to deter rodents. My pooch provides plenty.

Anything might work a little bit, but as soon as there are too many critters, so the pressure for food is too high, they will overcome whatever trick you provided.
    The max what you could achieve is, that they would first go for another pack instead of yours. But how would you know if your pack is protected best compared with others?

Keep in mind bears are very curious about smell. Peppermint oil might be just what they are seeking. That would suddenly make the mice no big deal.....

I heard from a trail worker that he takes firecrackers with him. He clears the shelter and drops one down a hole. Mice all gone for the night.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Fox and coyote urine.
    Catching them is tough enough, squeezing them for urine is where the fight usually starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Catching them is tough enough, squeezing them for urine is where the fight usually starts.
    Zelph has bin sniffing stove fumes. ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by tenlots View Post
    I heard from a trail worker that he takes firecrackers with him. He clears the shelter and drops one down a hole. Mice all gone for the night.
    That might be unethical.

Images

keep your light on and usually it keeps them away . i buy little cheap 1 headlamps at wally world specifically for this reason . as soon as the lights go out it is party time for the critters . if you set up a two light perimeter they stay away form you . Donald " grateful " ballard

Images

i just wanted to throw out there that drier sheets will throw off a smell that might attract bears . not saying it will but it might .

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    keep your light on and usually it keeps them away . i buy little cheap 1 headlamps at wally world specifically for this reason . as soon as the lights go out it is party time for the critters . if you set up a two light perimeter they stay away form you . Donald " grateful " ballard
    This has been my experience also. Maybe try those little tea light candles? Downside is that they may no be very safe and only burn for about 3 or 4 hours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++