WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gear list

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Is your traveler an 11 footer? I’ve found that to be pretty important, being 6’3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I went with the 11' traveler. I'm on the cusp at 6' and everyone seems comfier with a bigger hammock. Hell, the thing is only 12oz so I didn't feel too bad about the extra oz or two. Happy to have a dutch summer sock too. Seems like a versatile piece; I'm excited to put her to the test!

Quote Originally Posted by Singerdinger View Post
    Well I just "caved" and did what I probably should've done a couple months back when I decided to commit to the hammock....

Now the proud owner of (when it arrives):
    HG Econ Burrow 20 w/ 55" width and snaps
    HG Econ Incubator 20
    WB Traveler XL w/ whoopie sling ridgeline
    Dutch Summer Sock w/ zipper

Will most likely cut my thermarest Sol in half and bring it as a sit pad/emergency sleeping pad.

And will be returning the NeoAir to REI.

Let the fun begin!

Note: I still have dreams about being a Wiggys guy
    I think that you'll be really happy with that set up. The summer sock is a bit of a pain getting in and out of but it definitely keeps the wind and rain out of your UQ, which is worth the 8 oz. I also carry a thermarest sol sit pad myself and use it to prevent cold butt syndrome in addition to sitting on during the day.

Right on! Yeah I like multi-purpose items (like most people here...) and the summer sock does it. And I am definitely a little hesitant about having numerous down pieces, but at least it has a dwr coating, and after the season, I can recoat it. Do most people recoat their TQs and UQs each year? The internet seems to have mixed opinions about the longevity of dwr coatings. And I'd rather be paranoid and meticulous about general care rather than experience a wet-out down the road

I have never recoated the DWR on my quilts, although the process doesn't look too hard. My mindset is that I don't ever want to rely on DWR so I go to lengths to make sure that they stay dry and the DWR is a bonus against unexpected drips and splashes. If you're using a summer sock, you may want to recoat that periodically (or just replace it if your budget allows - they are very light weight and susceptible to wear and tear.)

My underquilts have treated down.

They frequently got wet in bad rain storms and never was the warmth compromised.

You’ll be fine

You are missing an ultralight cathole trowel. Just sayin . . .
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    You are missing an ultralight cathole trowel. Just sayin . . .
    Yupp! Im digging this push for everyone to carry a trowel. Nope, not essential and you can use other methods. But it promotes good hiking practices. It is constructive and positive to the trail. Thanks QiWiz, your little trowels have made a lasting impact.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Images

mountain crossing here in ga has a huge sale going on for trail runners . i think they 50 percent off . they are last years but who cares ... Donald " grateful " ballard

Lots of ppl say they’ll just use a stake or stick...man dig through that rooty soil a few times and you’ll find it can even be difficult WITH a trowel.

I actually carried QiWiz’s big dig the whole way.

Lots of ppl say they’ll just use a stake or stick...man dig through that rooty soil a few times and you’ll find it can even be difficult WITH a trowel.

I actually carried QiWiz’s big dig the whole way.

There are definitely high alpine mountain hikes in Wyoming that my Big Dig had issues getting deep enough...ground was so hard and filled with roots...got there though, just a lot of work so I can't imagine digging a deep enough hole with a stick or a heel.

Likewise.
    I confess a few times, due to....time constraints I ended up walking a few yards away to dig a hole just for the TP.

There just wasn’t enough time!

Likewise.
    I confess a few times, due to....time constraints I ended up walking a few yards away to dig a hole just for the TP.

There just wasn’t enough time!

That's when you dig a hole post business and push it in with a stick...time constraints are not an excuse to not bury it.

You have a solid gear list, and you've gotten some great responses. Really covered the "sleeping" & hammock gear very nicely, as well as the Sawyer Mini, and needs no further input. All I would tell you is what I saw last year, which does not make your choices right or wrong.... Nalgene- great product, but almost no one carries it... Smart Water & Gator-Ade. Teva Sandles- not so much, when you consider weight of other camp shoes. I loved my Vivo Barefoot, w/o the sock... Frogg Toggs- can't recall ever seeing a FT set on a thru and for sure no rain pants. Rain Gear is all over the place, considering weight, cost and need. Just know that nothing short of a top line $$$ jacket will really work. Wind, warmth, yes, but for rain most are just filtering the water a little longer. Trail Runners are King. It's all about the fit for you, but I did the entire hike in Hokas. 6 pair, although I could have made it on 4 or 5 if I pushed it. Not one single blister or even a hot spot. It was worth the few extra dollars to be so comfortable.

Start out with your very best choices and be flexible to changes as you go, and you'll do just fine.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    You have a solid gear list, and you've gotten some great responses. Really covered the "sleeping" & hammock gear very nicely, as well as the Sawyer Mini, and needs no further input. All I would tell you is what I saw last year, which does not make your choices right or wrong.... Nalgene- great product, but almost no one carries it... Smart Water & Gator-Ade. Teva Sandles- not so much, when you consider weight of other camp shoes. I loved my Vivo Barefoot, w/o the sock... Frogg Toggs- can't recall ever seeing a FT set on a thru and for sure no rain pants. Rain Gear is all over the place, considering weight, cost and need. Just know that nothing short of a top line $$$ jacket will really work. Wind, warmth, yes, but for rain most are just filtering the water a little longer. Trail Runners are King. It's all about the fit for you, but I did the entire hike in Hokas. 6 pair, although I could have made it on 4 or 5 if I pushed it. Not one single blister or even a hot spot. It was worth the few extra dollars to be so comfortable.

Start out with your very best choices and be flexible to changes as you go, and you'll do just fine.

Awesome info thanks. Looking at the Hoka Mafate Speed 2s right now. They look bad ass. Going to give the frogg toggs a shot, and once they fall apart, hopefully I'll come across a good town or put in an order for mail drop.

I'm trying to figure out what my best options are for trail runner sock set ups early on the trail-- best ways for dealing with rain, snow, ice, muck, drying out (if possible) time. In worst scenarios, I was thinking: hiking socks, then bread bag, then polypropylene liner, then shoes. But ideally, I won't use the bread bag unless I'm in dire straits.

Also just got a $25 coupon for a new pair of darn tough socks after sending my tattered, 4 year old ones back to them. My new Wigwam Outdoor Pros are comfy and seem durable but are shorter than mid calf and are not as warm as a heavy wool sock-- they will be great for summer, but will need the liner at minimum to be a good cold weather sock.

Just picked up a S2S trowel at 3oz. Sorry QiWiz, for not supporting the cottage industry I will be thinking of yall on that first post- lunch duke-dropping sesh when that trowel will be very handy.

Quick comment on the Hokas. I don't know anything about the Mafate Speed, could be perfect. I have the Hoka Challenger, which is still in production. I wear 9.5 Hoka running shoes, and got the Challenger @ 10.5. I also swapped out the Hoka insert for a Sole insert. Altogether, a perfect fit with tons of comfort and good stability. I would finally note that I carried 3 pair of socks. 1 Injingi toe socks, 2 Darn Tough. I kept one pair of DT clean/dry for camp & sleeping, and swapped out the other two every few days. Worked for me.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++