WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gear list

Default Gear list

Hey y'all, thought I'd post my gear list for some feedback. Feeling pretty good about it. Thinking base weight will be 16-17lb after the rest of my uncalculated weights are added. Anything I'm missing or should change? Slap me silly! Anything with '??' I'm still on the fence about. Thanks!

Backpack:
    Osprey Atmos AG 50 {4lb 5oz}
    https://www.backcountry.com/osprey-p...800-3200-cu-in

Shelter:
    ENO Doublenest {1lb 3oz}
    whoopie slings suspension system {4.5oz}
    HammockGear Quest Hex Tarp {13oz}
    100ft dyneema z-line 2mm {3.4oz} (extra line to be used for bear bagging)
    6 Lineloc3 guy line tensioners {0.5oz total}
    4 MSR Groundhog stakes {2oz total}
    ENO bug net {1lb} (too heavy i know but borrowing from a friend to save a lil $$)

Cooking:
    Jetboil (will also serve as a bowl for food) {11oz}

Water filtration:
    Sawyer Mini w/ 2 Sawyer 1000ml reservoir bags {2oz total}

Sleeping bag:
    Big Agnes 15* down {2lb 7oz} (ive slept in it every night for the past 1.5 years-- has a couple tears and some compression. I consider it a 25*)

https://www.rei.com/product/845211/b...l-sleeping-bag

Cocoon microfiber liner {8oz}
    https://www.rei.com/product/850235/c...er-mummy-liner

Pad:
    Thermarest NeoAir xLite - regular {12oz)

Clothing:
    Frogg toggs rain suit {10.4oz}
    1 polyester shirt
    1 zip off pants
    2 pairs socks -- Wigwam Outdoor Pro
    https://www.wigwam.com/products/p-hi...productid=2386
    1 fleece
    1 Columbia floppy hat
    1 Smartwool 150 base layer bottoms (5.6oz)
    Gloves??
    Beanie??
    Base layer top??

**Shoes:
    Trail runners (thinking I will need 4 pairs to get through the trail)
    ** I currently have older versions of these:**
    - new balance minimus
    - Asics gt 2000
    -(trail runners)?? - looking for affordable suggestions
    -(trail runners)?? - " "

Tevas sandals w/ EVA bottoms ( 13.2oz)
    https://www.sierratradingpost.com/te...prod-prod6871H

Water bottle:
    1L Smartwater bottle (x2)

1.5L Nalgene?? {7.5oz}

Dry bags:
    ZPack slim dry bag (x2-- one for sleeping bag, one for clothes)
    ZPack food dry bag
    ZPack Phablet Zip Pouch (for phone, charger, wallet)

Total dry bag weight: 3.37oz

Micellaneous:
    -Headlamp and 2 extra AA batteries
    -Biodegradable soap
    -Spork
    -First aid kit (alcohol swabs, gauze, Band-Aids, super glue, duct tape/electrical tape, vaseline)
    -Pack cover
    -cell phone, charger, wallet
    - journal
    - Kindle??
    -toothbrush n paste {ZPack Ultralight toothbrush pack-- 0.71oz}
    - multitool
    - 2 Lightload ultralight towels {1oz total}

Total weight of itemized weights: 14lb 10oz

The weight savings isn't worth it when it comes to the Sawyer Squeeze vs the Mini. I have used both and carry the Mini for a back-up if I'm hiking alone. I'd never use it as my main filter. The slightly larger Squeeze is much better.

Also, consider buying the Evernew bags vs the squeeze bags that come with the Sawyer filters. They are better quality and more reliable...just make sure to hold the neck when tightening caps and filters or it will develop a leak.

Dang ok. I saw the squeeze advertised but didn't think much of it. I did Maine on a 3 week section hike and the Mini treated me well, so I thought 'screw it, its cheap, light, worked well in the past, and z-packs had a pretty good deal on bags so I can break a couple (3 pack of 1L Sawyer's for $10)'.

Is ZPacks good with returns? For the extra $10-20, it'll probably be nice to have the squeeze and 2L evernew rather than what I've got now

+1 on the full size Sawyer. It flows with much less resistance so not only do you get water faster, the risk of exploding the squeeze bag is much less. I have yet to have a failure after extensive use. But the filter will eventually get clogged, so it's worth also carrying the backwash syringe.

Your sleep system (old sleeping bag/neoair mat) really isn't hammock compatible. It's definitely not cold weather compatible. Hope your not planning an early start and if you haven't actually tested this set up in the field, you should before committing to it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Ok cool I'll get myself the squeeze. I have always had a hammock and have done most of my backpacking with it, so I thought I'd stick with it, explore hammockforums.net, and figure out a modest setup without getting too techy. I wanted a pad rather than an UQ/TQ since there will be times I may stay in a shelter.

My thinking (maybe I'm wrong) is that: 25* bag + mediocre liner that will add 5* + NeoAir should be tolerable. I have a Smartwool baselayer bottom and could get a top too as some extra assurance during those first ~6 weeks of cold. Ill admit i have not field tested it yet and am planning to do so when I'm back home in a couple weeks. Hoping for an early March start.

100% don't get the mini, unless you want to train your arms and such

but a good idea, try make a lighterpack with your gear, much easier to see all with weight and stuff

mine is here just to get an idea how it looks https://lighterpack.com/r/9y14f8

Quote Originally Posted by Singerdinger View Post
    Ok cool I'll get myself the squeeze. I have always had a hammock and have done most of my backpacking with it, so I thought I'd stick with it, explore hammockforums.net, and figure out a modest setup without getting too techy. I wanted a pad rather than an UQ/TQ since there will be times I may stay in a shelter.

My thinking (maybe I'm wrong) is that: 25* bag + mediocre liner that will add 5* + NeoAir should be tolerable. I have a Smartwool baselayer bottom and could get a top too as some extra assurance during those first ~6 weeks of cold. Ill admit i have not field tested it yet and am planning to do so when I'm back home in a couple weeks. Hoping for an early March start.
    Well, good luck. I suspect you will freeze your butt off. The NeoAir doesn't give you a whole lot of insulation and is marginal in March even when used on the ground. Since liners are feet first entry, getting in and out of it in a hammock will be a real challenge.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I am leaving mid March and also am a Hammocker. Here is my gear list: http://lighterpack.com/r/5osqvs if interested. I also have vlogged my gear and clothing on my YouTube Channel. It has been created from years on Whiteblaze and Hammockforums.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

You need a 25° top quilt and under quilt.
    Keep the liner.

It would probably help to give the winter list. Lol. http://lighterpack.com/r/oqvwj.
    I also struggle with warmth in a Hammock and will never go back to a Pad. I am debating what to do about the Smokies and currently have the Thermarest Z-Lite that could be carried or shipped to Fontana. However, I am currently working on a DIY “Barco Lounger” that looks even more promising to possibly use the whole way. Hope this helps.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    I am leaving mid March and also am a Hammocker. Here is my gear list: http://lighterpack.com/r/5osqvs if interested. I also have vlogged my gear and clothing on my YouTube Channel. It has been created from years on Whiteblaze and Hammockforums.
    Good reference for a hammock setup. Mine is very similar.

Awesome, thanks for the gear lists. I am still biting my tongue on whether to throw down for the TQ/UQ set up. I know it would make my life a lot easier. And I already have a short thermarest z-lite fold up pad which could be carried for feet/leg insulation and a sitting pad. Im just stubborn... Lol

anyone looked into making an SPE (segmented pad extender) to bolster a pad-in-hammock setup? There's good diy advice out there from Sgt Rock and Just Jeffs, just interested to hear if anyones got some experience and how helpful it really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Singerdinger View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the gear lists. I am still biting my tongue on whether to throw down for the TQ/UQ set up. I know it would make my life a lot easier. And I already have a short thermarest z-lite fold up pad which could be carried for feet/leg insulation and a sitting pad. Im just stubborn... Lol
    anyone looked into making an SPE (segmented pad extender) to bolster a pad-in-hammock setup? There's good diy advice out there from Sgt Rock and Just Jeffs, just interested to hear if anyones got some experience and how helpful it really was.
    Most of that DIY advice came from the late 90’s to Early 2005. With the Cottage Industry Explosion and increase production of TQ and UQ’s, the use of Pad Extenders and Pads themselves have decreased. Most individuals, once they use an UQ, will not go back to a Pad. I had one hypothermic experience with a Pad in 58* night time temperature and I rushed to buy an UQ. I would suggest a 3/4, since you already know about the use of a Z-Lite Pad as a foot pad.

However, if someone insist on using a pad and extenders, please check out “Shugs” You Tube Channel for detailed insightful knowledge.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

DIY “Barco Lounger” that's sounds interesting. .but Googled it.... recline leather arm chair. .. are you really carrying one?

Me too Hammock and Underquilt
    Thermarest Z-Lite cut up in 3-4 sections and put it in length ways in the hammock.. I'm tying elastic to rejoin when on the floor. Might say good bye to it.. when warmer and out the whites. Also have a small metal drink flask. Warm sleeping bag and drinkable water in the morning..

Quote Originally Posted by Goingforalittlewalk View Post
    DIY “Barco Lounger” that's sounds interesting. .but Googled it.... recline leather arm chair. .. are you really carrying one?
    I thought about it, but was worried that I would lose my official ultralight Hiker card; so I am leaving it at home for some “arm chair hiking” or “Monday morning Second Guessing” of future thru’s! Jk

Here is probably the only You Tube DIY Vid so make sure you like his channel!:

https://youtu.be/W5SJ7wYjLZY
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

I always wince a bit when I see an ENO in a thruhiker Gear list, but if it works for you, rock on.

Ditch the mini, brother. Ive heard it said that giardia roulette is preferable to the flow rate of the mini. Shoot I was frustrated with the full size by the end. Almost everyone who starts with the mini upgrades to the full size.

I’d recommend shorts over long pants but that’s a personal call. Def a lightweight beanie, unless your fleece has a hood. Gloves I’m iffy on but I used a pair for a bit in the south on some real cold days. You can always use socks but if it’s raining.... I’ve heard the all weather gloves from Serius are nice.
    I actually used the Patagonia thermal weight hoodie as a mid layer instead of a base layer in the cold. Coupled with the a windbreaker (luxury item) in real cold.
    But I like that you’re starting minimal on clothes; this is an area where almost everyone overpacks.

I’ve heard New Balance fresh foam Hierros are good and affordable, but I’ve never tried em. Reach out to Altra and see if they’ll give you a thru hiker discount, just in case. (I met a few guys who did this with good results).

Avoid the nalgene, unless you do the hot water in the footbox thing. Or maybe use it as a foam roller.

Zip locks are your friend

The soap you’ll probably get rid of. I carried Dr Bronners for weeks and never took the woods bath I thought I would. Once you get used to being dirty you kinda stop caring. That’s what town is for.
    Spoons rule and sporks drool (I hope it’s a long handled one, just cause it’s niccccce)

Kindle is a luxury item; that’s up to you. Is there an app for you phone you can use instead? Lots of ppl say not to bother because you’ll pass our right away, but I actually carried a paperback a few times, and watched Netflix on my phone a bit as well.

The zpacks toothbrush is garbage, mine broke on the third or fourth day.

Multi tool is probably overkill but hey, I carried a light fixed blade so I’m a hypocrite

Two towels? Two..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you must use a pad, check out Klymit. They make some hammock specific models that are interesting. Of course for a few sheckles more you can get an UQ

Hammockgear makes an Econ model that’s a great value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrewd, I appreciate it! Thank you.

1) yeah I already had the Eno Doublenest and it seems like most hammock insulation setups can work with it, so I didn't bother going too deep into research, since there were already enough other things to figure out :-P

I'm working on creating a viable, but cringeworthy hammock insulation set up. Any true hammocker is scolding me at this point. Any thoughts on the using: NeoAir in an ENO hotspot with a dutchware winter sock? Might get winter sock regardless, and try out the hotspot and return it if it's complete garbage (which it might definitely be). Not sure why I'm so outwardly jaded against using the TQ/UQ setup (probably would get a HG Burrow 20 w/ Econ UQ or a 3/4s UQ w/ my thermarest Sol as leg protection), but I feel like it would be nice to explore my options before settling for it. I'll check the klymit pads for sure.

At some point, i realize I'm spending the same money as I would on an UQ, but on different things (winter sock, extra base layer, etc) so why not just get the UQ... I'm gettin there.

2) the serius all weather gloves look sweet. Looks like a nice compromise btwn bulkiness and material.
    I have a Columbia 100% poly balaclava I may also bring just for sleep gear during those first few cold weeks, but a lightweight beanie would be nice on the trail during March.
    Those NB look good too. I'll have to read up but thats definitely the price range I'd like for trail runners. I need something sturdy and reliable, but at the same time, they could be ruined in a month.
    And im going to pick up a Squeeze and return the mini ASAP. I used a mini on a 3 wk section hike, so i had some confidence in it, but 3 weeks is different than 4-5 months. Probably will get a 2L Evernew bag to go with it.

3) I think you're right that the Nalgene is overkill. And the extra 8oz I'm taking off my total weight gives me room to spare for either more clothing, shelter insulation, or luxury. Two 1L plastic bottles will do just fine.

4) probably right about the Kindle... I'll be passing out or journaling if I'm not with other people.

And I'm already on the 1x/wk shower grind, so I should stop lying to myself about soap ... :-D

I found an old Swiss that I'm gonna bring as my knife. I like a multitool , cause in this case, the scissors could be handy for any possible flappers.

As an old towel I used to know said, "don't forget to bring a towel," and so i thought it wouldn't be so crazy to bring an extra 12x24" Lightload towel. An extra 0.5-1oz won't kill me... Yet. But now that you mention it I can't really justify what i would do with the second towel...

Note to self definitely no go on the hotspot. The klymit hammock v insulated looks promising but doesn't seem to be reliable down to 30* temps since the reviews vary. Maybe the klymit hammock v insulated pad + Dutch winter sock + 20* mummy bag (since mummy bags may do better w/ klymit pads than TQ do b/c the pads width and pad design allows space for bag to sink in) + Smartwool 150 base layer top and bottoms... = Success?

But, at that point, I'm spending $130 on the pad and $70 on the sock. I'm not too far off from what I'd spend on a decent UQ and TQ.

I'd love a PeaPod but unsure of how it would perform during summer... Probably much too hot. I love the one piece simplicity of it though.

I want simplicity in my design and can compromise a little bit of comfort, but do not want to worry about receiving mail drops to get summer shelter insulation, because I set up with colder gear that won't translate well into summer climate. All I can do is buy some stuff and try it and decide my path...

The thing about UQs...they seem to have a larger temp range...more so than TQs.

My partial UQ Jacks 'r' Better Greylock 3 (+1 oz) has taken me from 60°-10°

In the past few days I have switched between 3 different temp rated TQs keeping the Greylock 3 as an UQ in each instance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++