WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

A section in NH or ME, or maybe Wawayanda to Pawling, or maybe my last 75 mile piece down south. Did 350 miles in 2017 but it has gotten a little trickier since I went back to work last fall. 604 miles to go.

no plans to section the whole trail in a year.....but I'm loosely thinking of doing my 1st ever section sometime this summer....June or July maybe.
    I'm from FL, so logically it'll be GA..... Amicalola to Neels? or Springer to Neels? .....depends I guess if any of my kids come along & I'll only have a week give or take, but that includes travel....

If all goes well, I hope to complete the AT this year. What I've got left is from Kent to Wentworth, and from Caratunk to Katahdin. It seems like both, so long ago & only yesterday, that I met our own Gambit McCrae down in GA on my first "long distance" section (Amicalola Falls SP to Winding Stair Gap). That was Memorial Day weekend/week 2015. I think I've only met one other White Blazer on trail so far, that being Birthday Girl. New Years Eve and Day 2017, up on Priest Mountain. I just went up for the new years sunrise, but she was doing a section - with a broken toe! Talk about a tough gal!
    Man! It's been one heck of an amazing time so far! And I look forward Very Much, to A Whole Lot More!
    It was 'ole Gambit that taught me, "ten by ten", which I started doing more or less immediately, upon hearing such simple brilliance. Later that same year, while doing another "long" section in VA, I added to "ten by ten", with 'twenty by two'. I'd kind of already been doing it for a while without realizing it, when it dawned on me. It made sense to me, and is 'more or less' just keeping that same 10x10 pace. It has worked pretty well for me over the years now. I don't always get twenty by two, it is a 'rough' goal. I sometimes beat it, and sometimes not - terrain, weather, if I 'sleep in', resupply/town days/nights, all come in to play. As I said, it's just a 'rough' goal when I hike, that works pretty well for me. It all started as simple info being passed among hikers on trail. Thanks again Gambit! It has served me well over the years!

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    If all goes well, I hope to complete the AT this year. What I've got left is from Kent to Wentworth, and from Caratunk to Katahdin. It seems like both, so long ago & only yesterday, that I met our own Gambit McCrae down in GA on my first "long distance" section (Amicalola Falls SP to Winding Stair Gap). That was Memorial Day weekend/week 2015. I think I've only met one other White Blazer on trail so far, that being Birthday Girl. New Years Eve and Day 2017, up on Priest Mountain. I just went up for the new years sunrise, but she was doing a section - with a broken toe! Talk about a tough gal!
    Man! It's been one heck of an amazing time so far! And I look forward Very Much, to A Whole Lot More!
    It was 'ole Gambit that taught me, "ten by ten", which I started doing more or less immediately, upon hearing such simple brilliance. Later that same year, while doing another "long" section in VA, I added to "ten by ten", with 'twenty by two'. I'd kind of already been doing it for a while without realizing it, when it dawned on me. It made sense to me, and is 'more or less' just keeping that same 10x10 pace. It has worked pretty well for me over the years now. I don't always get twenty by two, it is a 'rough' goal. I sometimes beat it, and sometimes not - terrain, weather, if I 'sleep in', resupply/town days/nights, all come in to play. As I said, it's just a 'rough' goal when I hike, that works pretty well for me. It all started as simple info being passed among hikers on trail. Thanks again Gambit! It has served me well over the years!

u.w.
    u.w. Hope to run into you this summer. But if you are doing 20 by 2pm in NH and ME, it will probably just be that one time. Definitely a faster pace than mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I’m doing around 36 miles near Pearisburg, VA in late June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    lol this is a weird thread. why would i care what OTHER people are hiking :P
    Why are you involved in a forum if you don’t care about others opinions? That’s weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I'm hoping to do the stretch around Roan Highlands in mid March. Would like to go stay at the Mountain Harbour Hostel to finish/ shuttle out of for the hike. Looking forward to that section solo and another trip in late June! Should be a a fun season of backpacking trips.

ok, sidetrack.....but expain....10 by 10, 20 by 2....I get it get 10 miles in my 10AM or 20 miles in by 2PM....but why? brilliance?

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    ok, sidetrack.....but expain....10 by 10, 20 by 2....I get it get 10 miles in my 10AM or 20 miles in by 2PM....but why? brilliance?
    If you want to knock out a lot of miles it is easier if you start early in the day, especially if hiking in the summer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    Why? I enjoy it.
    Mid twenty to mid thirty mile days are not uncommon for me. Not for everyone of course, but I do enjoy it. Plus, as Astro says, it can be handy when it starts getting hot/humid. When the temps go into the nineties or the hundreds, starting early can be pretty nice.
    That said, I don't always hike that way, I usually do - but not always. If I'm hiking with someone (pretty rare) I have slowed my roll if needed, and for the various reasons I wrote of above.

"Brilliance" as in it's just a simple thing, it's a catchy way of saying something, and I'd never heard at that time but it totally suited me, and my hiking. Twenty by two is just a continuation of it. In the eye of the beholder perhaps, as with other things. "simple brilliance": just a nice way to talk of something too.

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    u.w. Hope to run into you this summer. But if you are doing 20 by 2pm in NH and ME, it will probably just be that one time. Definitely a faster pace than mine.
    Definitely! Hopefully our paths will cross out there. That'd be way cool! I'm planning on knocking out half-ish of the southern section CT, MA, VT starting toward the end of May.

Oh and I remembered too... Another person I've not just met, but also hiked with, who's a WhiteBlazer. Johnspenn. We did a hike down in GA last February. Definitely enjoyed that hike with he and his nephew a lot.

u.w.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Yeah, you guys must be some seriously fast hikers. If I wanted to do 10 by 10, I'd have to start on the trail at 5 a.m! Then I might be able to pull 20 by 2, but only if a bear started chasing me.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post

u.w.

Hey Ol' U.W.! Man you are really wrapping this AT thing up aren't ya!? Good on you! I have since slowed my pace to 20 by....dark lol PM me for some Mid Atlantic talk, Ill be stumbling around up there in Mass/ VT this September 1st for 2 weeks

Still haven't hit over 30 in a day. Its on the to do list when I complete PA this july 4th week
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Did Springer to Deep Gap NC last year, so the plan this year is to start in March, hopefully a little ahead of the bubble, and work towards Fontana. Then maybe skip the Smokies and work on southern VA over the summer. Might come back to the Smokies in the fall.

Images

Finish MA (about 24 miles left) and NJ (about 63 miles left)... agree reading these in the depths of winter gets me stoked for the upcoming season! That's why I'm here reading this site
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Looking for a good time to do Clingmans dome to Hot springs. Any time is good except winter, BRRRR. And they have water.......

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Yeah, you guys must be some seriously fast hikers. If I wanted to do 10 by 10, I'd have to start on the trail at 5 a.m! Then I might be able to pull 20 by 2, but only if a bear started chasing me.
    Yeah, me too. I'm kinda more of a 5 by 12 and 15 by 5 kind of guy. It doesn't have so much to do with my pace, but more with not wanting to leave at the arse crack of dawn.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Generally no. It's still winter. There may still be snow in places and where there isn't it will be mud. Best to stay away from these trails at least well into May to let them dry out. That's why I head south that time of year. It's too messy anywhere in New England.
    Thanks for the advice Slo-go'en. My wife is a teacher, and the first week of April is Spring break. She could watch our kids that are also out of school that week. However, a voluntary week in the mud may have to wait for another time. Everything has a time and a place. I've done all of the South but the last few miles to Springer, which I am saving. New AT miles are coming hard at this point. I will keep it local for now. Enjoy!

Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry in mid May.

I'm planning on doing the Maryland section northbound at the end of April if I can get logistics figured out. I am wanting to park at Pen Mar area and shuttle to Harper's Ferry to start. Just need to figure out shuttle options.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++