WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Last year, I hike from Springer to Fontana Damm. This May I am planning Fontana Damm to Irwin, NC.

Not sure if Vlogging is for me but Im gunna give it a go this year I believe.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Did our first ever section of the AT last year going from Iron Mountain Gap to Clyde Smith(day 1) to Roan High Knob(day 2) to Overmountain(day 3) to US 19E(day 4). Extremely challenging for us but we loved it. Not many places to prepare for it in the suburbs of Chicago!

This year we are looking at doing a 5 day hike SOBO from Fox Creek to Damascus. Just started planning so if anyone has any input I would love to hear from you. A little worried about that first day up Pine Mountain but it seems less than what we had last year. Have heard going SOBO in this area is a bit easier.

Images

The good Lord willing, our 32nd annual section hike this fall will include the ~50 mile stretch between Lyme-Dorchester Road and Franconia Notch in NH, which would leave us with ~375 miles to completion.

close to securing a 50 mile section hike with my son sobo from whiskey springs road to PenMar just following the Labor Day weekend for four nights. That’d be his longest hike to date.

Starting at Ma. 2[Williamstown] and heading north soon after the 4th. of July.

Journal Entries
    Images

Every other weekend I do a little more... Probably will be out and about this weekend.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Every other weekend I do a little more... Probably will be out and about this weekend.
    Just watched your cold weather camp vid and curious who made your red hoodie. Quite a bit of cover for yu

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Just watched your cold weather camp vid and curious who made your red hoodie. Quite a bit of cover for yu
    Disregard homey. I saw your reply on the other read!

Journal Entries
    Images

I just replaced the red hood with a blue one that has a little cross piece over the nose. I like it because it's removable and when I warm up and can put it away.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Disregard homey. I saw your reply on the other read!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I'm planning a SOBO section from Rockfish Gap to Daleville in April. This will be my third section starting from Harper's Ferry.

Images

I was going to be hiking north from Stratton, Maine but I'll be starting a new job in March and don't know if I'll be able to get time off.

Default Section Hiking AT in May Starting at Hot Springs, NC; Seeking Hiking Friend.

I have been section hiking each year since 2014. This May, 2018, I would like to hike from Hot Springs, NC to Pearisburg, VA (Approx. 363 miles). I am a Vietnam Veteran, and if possible I would like to find a friend, Veteran or not, but preferably age in 60s as I am not a fast hiker that can join me. My wife would feel most comfortable if I found such a hiking friend. Unfortunately, my wife has MS and can not hike. I do not know if there is a special forum on WhiteBlaze to place such a request. Last year, I hiked with a female friend (and her friend), and she had the perfect hiking pace. Thanks, Del

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Starting at Hot Springs and going NOBO for ~120 miles is the current plan.
    Plans have changed. Filling in the section from Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana Dam that we skipped last year due to the fires. Now if the BMT goes down this fall, will have the 500 mile loop completion.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

We are headed out of Manassas Gap VA and hiking 7 days to Caledonia State park (Rocky mt shelter) PA. 80 miles. Leaving this Saturday afternoon and landing in PA on Friday. Snow and rain for the week but don't care, we're back on the AT!!
    "There's no cryin in Baseball"

Just finished my first section hike of the year. Went from Newfound Gap to I-40. Left Newfound Gap on a very cold morning last Thursday (3-15). A Park Ranger met us, looked at our permits and asked if we had appropriate traction (ie, metal spikes of some kind). We did not, but she let us go anyway, mentioned there had been some broken bones by Icewater Spring Shelter, and gave us a number to call in case of emergency. It was cold all day with ice and snow on the trail all the way to Pecks Corner shelter. Spent a cold night at Pecks Corner with a great group of thru-hikers and some hikers who were doing a loop hike. The next day we hiked 13+ miles to Cosby Knob. Although it was still chilly, the weather started moderating some. On the last day as we hiked out of the park it actually got warm as we descended to Davenport Gap.

Met thru-hikers WanderingDad, Underdog, Tractor, and a bunch of others.

We got picked up by a shuttle from A Walk in the Woods. They did a great job and, when I called them and told them we arrived early, they sent the shuttle right away.

I'm planning my next section hike for the end of April where I will pick up at I-40 where I left off and hike to Hot Springs, NC.

Journal Entries

Did HF to Port Clinton last year, this year PC to the Bear Mountain area in NY, leaving later in May so the thru hikers will be around

Images

My wife and I started from Springer in July 2017, YES it was HOT! LOL We went from Springer to Woody Gap.
    This year we have gone from Woody Gap to Addis Gap on one section hike and a few day hikes. Our next trip will get us into NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    My next section is the NOC to Fontana. Then I plan to do some other sections after that as I’m not sure about moving into GSMNP. Probably skip further North, though I may decide to move on into the Smokies.
    I did this exact section last year. It was great. I am going into the Smokies this year and I am very excited!

Smokies...have some questions though...posting a new thread.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++