Thread: Fire Safety

Default Fire Safety

Yesterday, fifteen, or more, people died in California as the result of a human caused fire.

Please, respect the no campfire regulations in effect in the Southern California mountains. Campfires are illegal outside of developed campgrounds. In the Angeles NF this year they are illegal everywhere.

I often hike the PCT in the San Bernardino and Angeles National Forests. There are always illegal fire rings in places where only a PCTer would camp. Fires are not cool out west.

Please be careful. As the Bear says, "Only you."
    Smokey3.jpg

When ever I come across an illegal or inappropriate fire ring I spend a few minutes to take it apart and disperse the charcoal and partially bunt up wood. Now when the next person comes by, they won't think it must be okay since someone else did or they have to spend time to build a ring.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    When ever I come across an illegal or inappropriate fire ring I spend a few minutes to take it apart and disperse the charcoal and partially bunt up wood. Now when the next person comes by, they won't think it must be okay since someone else did or they have to spend time to build a ring.
    And let me guess, nine times out of ten the illegal fire ring is built in the center of a flat tent spot. I take a few apart in Connecticut each year.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

This was one of my main missions actings as Caretaker in Maine a few years back - dispersal of bootleg sites and fire rings.

You fellows dismantling illegal fire rings are doing good work.

My planned section hike on the PCT last summer and my backup plan both got ditched due to wildfires. PLEASE! You do not need fires. Great care with stoves (even cold food sometimes) is also essential.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++