Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
I have a thing for backpacking spoons. Titanium, bamboo, or some kind of food safe plastic. A spoon is something I use pretty much every day on the trail. I had a name brand long handled spoon laying around, so I decided to take it to the shop and make it my creation. I have always found great joy in making something my own, or maybe it's just that I can't help leaving good enough alone.

The spoon was long handled. I took about an inch off of it. Polished titanium is much more pleasant to eat from than the rougher finishes so I polished the whole spoon. I then took it to the wire wheel to give it a brushed finish. Took a small endmill and put a hole at the top. Tied up a small suede loop for aesthetics. Finally, I took it to the laser marker to add my initials.

So yeah... this is what I do in my spare time when I'm not out hiking.

Didn't do it to save weight. Just to make it my own.

Regards,
Fastfox

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Wow... this is really to my liking.. I love to make things my own and can't leave things as they are. I just find enjoyment it in. I also love trail spoons. I have various long handle spoons, Ti and Alu, GSI plastic spoons, Esbit folding Ti and a few others.

I wanted to try bamboo and like the shape of the GosGear spoon. The price? Not so much.

I still have the To Go bamboo spoons in my Amazon Wishlist but while browsing the cooking utensils in Walmart I found something else I want to try. This is a silicone bowled spoon that is attached to a bamboo handle. It comes in a set of five utensils...the spoon, two spatulas and two spreaders. Oddly,on one side of the aisle in Walmart the set was priced $4.79 and on the opposite side, it was priced $3.79 with the only difference being the more expensive set had a cardboard packaging.

The bowl is smaller than what I use now (GSI resin spoon from REI), but about the size of a standard long handled Ti spoon. Weight is right in line with the other spoons I have. The silicone bowl feels just fine, it doesn’t get hot and I imagine it won’t stain or be tainted by food taste. Time will tell.

The silicone is fairly flexible and performs well at getting into the bottom corners of bowls and pots.

Out of the box, the handle was a bit chunkier than I liked so off to the wood shop I went to contour it a bit more.. end result, after sanding and a coat of food safe cutting board oil... I like it. And I shaved 4g off the weight..

I added a diamond knot to the hole in the end so I can hang it.