WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    2Birds1Stone
    Welcome from another Long Islander.
    If your geared up for some cool/cold weather hiking, and want to meet a number of other Whiteblaze members, and are available this coming weekend then see this thread
    Oh man, that sounds like a really fun time! Unfortunately I am racing the 10 Mile Blue Point Brewery run on Saturday morning, so no hiking for me.

I've only done day hikes to this point, and my camping experience and gear is for car camping. large 3 person tent, 15lb sleeping bag, etc! I need to start gearing up and doing weekend trips asap. I need the fiance to make sure she enjoys this and can handle a few days of pooping in a dirt hole before we commit to a thru together.

To Everyone Else,

Thank you for the well thought out responses. I had a feeling that would be the general consensus. $$ for a new pack will not be a huge issue in 2 years, and I'll use this one on shorter hikes and maybe fore backpacking around europe next summer for a few weeks.

Would you say it's worth replacing the pack sooner and using it on 2-3 day hikes way in advance of a thru attempt?

Assuming I don't want to go UL, and will be carrying 60% of our combined load, could you folks recommend a solid pack that would be suitable for that? I know Osprey is very popular, but what size would you go for if you had to carry your own gear + a portion of your partners?

PS Sorry for all of the newbie questions =P

If you can get your (couple's) total load down, then most of the UL packs will work to carry your load plus some of your fiance's. Getting the total weight down is helped by shared gear (tent, stove, water filter, & c.) so that's not at all unreasonable. I'm happy with my Granite Gear Crown 2 with up to 30 lbs., and its capacity is 65 liters with the included lid (which weighs only an extra 2.6 ounces for that last 5 liters of useful storage). Since you've got time to wait for sales you can probably get that pack for $150.

Garlic
    Images

I now carry 60% or more of our gear in my Gossamer Gear G4 pack that weighs less than a pound. And I got it on sale for $80. I have no idea of the volume spec, since I've never come close to filling it up.

Try it out. From Long Island, Harriman State Park is easily accessible. If it suits you, fine. If not, you will learn enough to make a wise replacement decision. My son uses my old 5 1/2 pound external frame pack on tough treks and likes it. Of course, free counts in that case, too.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I would say try it out. my older brother (65) has an antique external frame he is using. He has also made much of his gear so it is not light. He would definitely benefit from less weight. But my 25 year old son uses a similar old external frame that a neighbor gave him and has no trouble doing 15 mile days with it. His other gear is not all light, but better than my brother's. So at your age you may find it works fine for trips while you are learning and you can look at something else once you have some experience.

If you’re worried about weight capacity, check out the ULA Catalyst. It’s the bigger brother of the Circuit, a very popular pack for long distance hikes.

Give them a call, they are super helpful and will chat away about packs and fit and such.
    You could also go to an REI and try on a few ospreys (exos if it fits, atoms otherwise).

Mountain Crossings, the famous outfitter at Neels Gap has a good selection of smaller brand lightweight packs like granite Gear and ULA; they’re very used to thru hikers coming in need to replace packs and Gear.

Worst case you make it there and decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also argue that doing a few 15 mile days in a pack isn’t the same as doing 15 to 20 mile days back to back for weeks and months at a time. That’s a whole ‘nother animal.

It’s worth it for you knees, man.

Won’t somebody think about the knees!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

"If you’re worried about weight capacity, check out the ULA Catalyst. It’s the bigger brother of the Circuit, a very popular pack for long distance hikes." Shrewd

I agree. Here's what my experiences have been.

I've done many short backpacking trips, over the years but with none exceeding two and half weeks duration. When I started backpacking in the early 1970s external frame backpacks weighing 5 to 5 1/2 lbs. were considered 'state of the art'. I still own several of those, including an orange Trailwise pack that was recommended by writer Colin Fletcher and also the Kelty pack (a Super Tioga perhaps) that my late father carried while sectioning the entire AT during the late 1980s. After his resupplies Dad typically carried total loads of about 30 lbs.using that pack. In other words he was a "light"" long distance hiker but not an "ultralight" one.

Partly for nostalgic reasons, I continued to use my ancient 5 1/2 lb. Trailways pack regularly until a year and half ago. At that point I decided to get a lighter pack as part of an ongoing weight reduction effort. I did so recognizing that as others have pointed out there is a trade off between a pack's weight and both its load carrying ability and its potential comfort. I anticipated that I would typically be using my pack on four day trips here in Kentucky carrying 22 to 24 lbs. total weight (base weight, including a 3 lb. pack; +food; +water). But, I also anticipated making some longer trips to places such as California, carrying food for up to six nights there along with my 2 1/2 lb. bear canister. (Bear canisters are required in the Sierra Nevada.) In other words, I wanted to get a lighter pack, but one that could enable my aging muscles to comfortably handle loads of up to about 32 lbs., when necessary.

During the fall of 2016 I purchased a ULA Catalyst and have subsequently taken about a half dozen trips with it. Weighing three pounds my Catalyst is is not the lightest pack available but it has nonetheless met my expectations very well.

Conventional wisdom is to first obtain all of your other gear and then shop for a pack. But, the best way learn what specific stuff you will want to carry is to experiment by taking some overnight hikes. That can't be done without using some sort of pack.

So, if you don't return your holiday gift pack for a refund, it could at least get you started backpacking. Closer to the date of your prospective multi-month hike you will have a better idea of exactly what gear you'll be carrying and also what your AT hike's starting 'base weight' and 'total pack weight' will be. Then purchase a Catalyst or some other pack that weighs considerably less than 6 1/2 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    "If you’re worried about weight capacity, check out the ULA Catalyst. It’s the bigger brother of the Circuit, a very popular pack for long distance hikes." Shrewd

I agree. Here's what my experiences have been.

I've done many short backpacking trips, over the years but with none exceeding two and half weeks duration. When I started backpacking in the early 1970s external frame backpacks weighing 5 to 5 1/2 lbs. were considered 'state of the art'. I still own several of those, including an orange Trailwise pack that was recommended by writer Colin Fletcher and also the Kelty pack (a Super Tioga perhaps) that my late father carried while sectioning the entire AT during the late 1980s. After his resupplies Dad typically carried total loads of about 30 lbs.using that pack. In other words he was a "light"" long distance hiker but not an "ultralight" one.

Partly for nostalgic reasons, I continued to use my ancient 5 1/2 lb. Trailways pack regularly until a year and half ago. At that point I decided to get a lighter pack as part of an ongoing weight reduction effort. I did so recognizing that as others have pointed out there is a trade off between a pack's weight and both its load carrying ability and its potential comfort. I anticipated that I would typically be using my pack on four day trips here in Kentucky carrying 22 to 24 lbs. total weight (base weight, including a 3 lb. pack; +food; +water). But, I also anticipated making some longer trips to places such as California, carrying food for up to six nights there along with my 2 1/2 lb. bear canister. (Bear canisters are required in the Sierra Nevada.) In other words, I wanted to get a lighter pack, but one that could enable my aging muscles to comfortably handle loads of up to about 32 lbs., when necessary.

During the fall of 2016 I purchased a ULA Catalyst and have subsequently taken about a half dozen trips with it. Weighing three pounds my Catalyst is is not the lightest pack available but it has nonetheless met my expectations very well.

Conventional wisdom is to first obtain all of your other gear and then shop for a pack. But, the best way learn what specific stuff you will want to carry is to experiment by taking some overnight hikes. That can't be done without using some sort of pack.

So, if you don't return your holiday gift pack for a refund, it could at least get you started backpacking. Closer to the date of your prospective multi-month hike you will have a better idea of exactly what gear you'll be carrying and also what your AT hike's starting 'base weight' and 'total pack weight' will be. Then purchase a Catalyst or some other pack that weighs considerably less than 6 1/2 lbs.
    Great advice.

The pack while in new condition was acquired second hand by the person who gifted it to me, so I will be keeping it for now, as it's resale value is unlikely to depreciate at this point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++