Default Angeles Fire, Campfire ans Stove Ban 2018

Looks like Angeles National Forest has banned all stoves for 2018.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd568359.pdf

I read this as banning all stoves and fires even in campgrounds.

I'd read "stove fire" as referring to wood burning stoves. This needs clarifying.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'd read "stove fire" as referring to wood burning stoves. This needs clarifying.
    Based on doing a Google Search, "stove fire" basically means nothing... other than a fire on your [kitchen] stove.
    So they've used a very poor choice of works as there's no way to know for sure what they mean.
    Given that they are prohibiting smoking (with some exceptions) and declaring that a California Campfire does not "except" (???) the prohibition, they might have intended to mean to prohibit the use of stoves.

I'm getting the feeling that this order was written either by a very inept government employee... or it is intentionally vague so they can say it means what ever they want it to mean.
    (I've been in a situation before were I've asked a park ranger if "xyz" was permitted... and they repeatedly indirectly answered the question in such a way to make you think "xyz" is not permitted.... but in reality it IS permitted and they just don't want you doing "xyz" for what ever reason.)

Considering what they just went through, you can understand why they are a bit skittish about open flames of any kind, anywhere in that state. Better stock up on PB+J for a hiking staple out there!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The attached explanation says campfires of wood and charcoal and stove fires including pressurized gas, liquid fuel, and petroleum jelly lanterns are prohibited.

Whether that explanation carries the same force as the published rule would be the question.

When in doubt do without.
    Proof reading is officially dead.
    How many PCT miles in the Angeles NF?
    Is carrying a stove through the NF prohibited? Bouncing the stove ahead and not carrying fuel for the stove would be prudent.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne

Journal Entries

It does leave open the use of heater bags, chemicals that get hot when exposed to water, Last I saw them they are available in REI.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    When in doubt do without.
    Proof reading is officially dead.
    How many PCT miles in the Angeles NF?
    Is carrying a stove through the NF prohibited? Bouncing the stove ahead and not carrying fuel for the stove would be prudent.
    Be safe Y’all!
    Wayne
    You are over thinking this. The order specifically mentions "fire", it does not say anything about possession of stoves or fuel.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    The attached explanation says campfires of wood and charcoal and stove fires including pressurized gas, liquid fuel, and petroleum jelly lanterns are prohibited.

Whether that explanation carries the same force as the published rule would be the question.
    The order explicitly says "stove" fires. The explanation simply clarifies the order. There is no question that it carries the same force as the published order.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

being that it is California, better to err on the side of caution and not carry anything. I'd rather eat cold food than find myself afoul of a law in that state.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    The attached explanation says campfires of wood and charcoal and stove fires including pressurized gas, liquid fuel, and petroleum jelly lanterns are prohibited...
    I failed to scroll to page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Is carrying a stove through the NF prohibited?
    Perhaps that's the reason for the choice of the otherwise meaningless phrase "stove fire"... to let PCT hikers know that it's OK to carry their stove thru ANF, just don't light it up while in ANF.

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed guy View Post
    ... I'd rather eat cold food than find myself afoul of a law in that state.
    Or afoul of a raging forest fire. We are finally getting some rain in southern California, but it's super dry in the mountains. Places that have always been dependable for water are dry. Not good.

Images

Here are some quotes from a thread at Backpackinglight.com

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...ge/6/#comments

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:36 pm #3487745 Reply | Report

Some interesting quotes from this thread concerning the safety of the Starlyte type burner/stove:

Original Message
    Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 6:09 PM
    To: FS-Public Affairs
    Subject: WWW Mail: alcohol stoves
    Can I please have some clarification about the definition of “portable stove?” I have a small spill-proof alcohol stove (it has carbon mesh over the top that does not allow liquid to escape) and is contained in a stable titanium cone the pot fits in securely. Anyway – Yosemite National Park tells me I am free to use this along the whole length of the JMT. Inyo and SEKI say the same thing; what are your regulations for such a stove?? Can I bring it or not?? Thanks! jen.

——————————————————————————————————————————–

Jennifer Mitol
    (Jenmitol) – M

Here is my email exchange from Sierra National Forest:

Dear Valued Member of the Public,

Thank you for your email, that is exactly what we are looking for, and that is more than okay with us for you to bring it along. Thank you for checking before you go and have a safe trip!

Sincerley,
    Sierra National Forest Public Affairs,
    1600 Tollhouse Rd,
    Clovis CA 93654
    (559) 297-0706
    [email protected]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:46 pm #3487750 Reply | Report
    Bob Moulder

@bobmny10562
    Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’d rather tip over a burning Starlyte than a burning BRS. ;^o

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:56 pm #3487752 Reply | Report

Gary Dunckel

That is good work, Bob. I admire your thoroughness and your artistry. Dan and I (and likely many others) are anxiously awaiting the results of your upcoming tests. Our thanks go out to Zelph, who has enabled these efforts.

That stove might be OK with the Sierra NF, but you still can't use it on the Angeles. At least not in 2018.

The trail is changing, and changing fast.

Based on the mudslides in recent days, the PCT may not even be passable in the foreseeable future.
    Based on the fractured nature of the announcement, I’m not sure that I would be comfortable carrying matches in a waterproof container or a BIC lighter.
    Wayne

The ban has been revised. It appears that stove fires will be legal at picnic areas and developed campgrounds. Which would include developed trail camps in the Angeles such as Little Jimmy and Cooper Canyon. I ASSume.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd569060.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    The ban has been revised. It appears that stove fires will be legal at picnic areas and developed campgrounds. Which would include developed trail camps in the Angeles such as Little Jimmy and Cooper Canyon. I ASSume.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd569060.pdf
    My read of the revised order is that cannister stoves will be legal everywhere (with a campfire permit). Sanity prevails!

++ New Posts ++