WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Virtual Frame" - ULA CDT vs zPacks Nero

On my ULA CDT, I have used my NeoAir inside the pack to create a sort of "virtual frame" and padding against my back. When minimally inflated and packed well, it seems like I am also getting some minimal load transfer to my hips in addition to comfort on my back. On hut-to-hut style trips where I am not carrying camping gear, I replace the NeoAir with a cut out blue foam pad to provided similar rigidity. This system has been good for me up to around 20 pounds. The majority of my miles with the CDT were actually in the Swiss Alps where I was going hut-to-hut and used the blue foam with a much lower total pack weight - perhaps 10-12 pounds. Very comfortable - love the pack but it is more volume than needed for hut to hut style walking.

I purchased a zPacks Nero and just got it yesterday and having some difficulty figuring out how I will pack it and whether a similar "virtual frame" is possible. The Nero, which looks like a very high quality well built pack, has a foam pad but it goes on the outside of the pack, not the inside. As a result, when I pack it, I don't seem to be able to replicate the "virtual frame" that I configure for the CDT because the pad itself doesn't provide any internal rigidity - it just sits on the outside of the pack. I could, of course, use an blue foam pad on the inside to kind of replicate what I have done with the CDT except the Nero doesn't have straps inside to keep a pad in place and, also, I have read reviews that if you don't retain some type of pad on the outside, the connection points will cause abrasion to clothing (see toward the middle of this article describing the potential abrasion issue on the pack when not using the foam sit pad on the outside: https://plugitinhikes.com/2017/12/11...smnp900miler2/). So if I rig the pack with some kind of internal "frame" to provide rigidity (either a partially inflated Neo Air or blue foam), I would *also* have to keep the exterior foam pad to prevent abrasion to my clothing - that's 1.5 ounces of extra weight.

The reason I purchased the Nero is two-fold: First, I obviously like the lighter weight (it saves me around 10 ounces vs. the CDT. Second, the CDT is too voluminous for my upcoming Camino Frances thru hike and I like the smaller volume of the Nero.

I cannot really field test the Nero with a full load on a walk outside if I want to be able to return it (per zPacks policy the packs should only be test packed and worn inside). So I'm trying to figure out if I should risk rigging up some type of virtual frame on the inside of the pack and take it for a spin or if I should just return it and either stick with the CDT (filling extra volume with my uncompressed quilt) or possibly buy ULA's smaller Photon pack (which weighs around the same as the CDT but is smaller in volume).

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I store my pad inside folded like on the CDT for padding on my back . It is nice to have a sit pad stored outside the pack .

thom

I used a Nero for 300+ miles on the PCT this summer without the pad (and after a few days....without the hip belt.) I had no problems with abrasion to clothing. Had 20 pounds a few times after resupply. You should be fine with the weight you'll be carrying.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know it didn't cause abrasion after 300 miles. Even if it did, that wouldn't necessarily be a show stopper for me, but rather more of an annoyance. I wish I could load up the pack and take it out for 5-10 miles without making it not returnable but I understand their policy. I'll play around with it a bit more at home before deciding what I'm going to do.

For me it takes a while to get used to a new pack. Your CDT is a very good pack . Good luck

thom

Quote Originally Posted by pafarmboy1 View Post
    I used a Nero for 300+ miles on the PCT this summer without the pad (and after a few days....without the hip belt.) I had no problems with abrasion to clothing. Had 20 pounds a few times after resupply. You should be fine with the weight you'll be carrying.
    I noticed that without the pad the shoulder strap attachment points rubbed me a little when the pick was only slightly packed. When it was full I had no issues.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    For me it takes a while to get used to a new pack. Your CDT is a very good pack . Good luck
    Certainly true - a very good pack. I find myself using it for general travel (not backpacking) much more than I thought I would too.

As a follow-up on this topic, I received the Nero and, as expected, it is great craftsmanship and a nice pack overall. I found that I preferred loading it with my pad on the inside rather than the outside to create more of a "frame" and didn't like the way the outside pad attached. For this reason and some others, I decided to exchange it for a 55L ArcBlast. Although larger than I want for the Camino, the ArcBlast is actually lighter than my CDT by around 4 ounces and I also intend to use the ArcBlast instead of my Circuit for a long PCT section this summer (hoping to finish the PCT). I do think that the Nero is a great pack for someone who likes the exterior pad attachment system. It is certainly light and well constructed but wasn't for me.

That’s a great choice. Bet it will carry well with your light kit.

thom

++ New Posts ++