WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

"The only thing I noticed was that none of my carefully-tested "Knorrs" meals worked on the trail because they boiled at a much lower temperature and therefore never reached a high enough temp to soften the pasta or rice in a reasonable amount of time -- particularly the rice versions.

I switched to Mountain House at the earliest opportunity and never had another problem. They seem to be designed for high altitude cooking."

Harrison--I also make Knorrs/Lipton meals frequently. At what elevations did you have difficulty cooking them? I've experienced that frustration (greatly extended cooking times for pasta or rice) up at 8,000 t0 9,000 feet elevation several times in the West but I have not yet had similar difficulties occur anywhere on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    "Thanks for the answers. I figure that a 20 hour train ride and a day in Gainsville might be helpful to sort out any minor issues. When i worked the Canyon it took about 4-5 days before all was normal again. In terms of physical effort, the work i did would have been much the same as what i'm planning for the first two days, the Approach trail and Hawks Mountain Shelter. The plus part now is that i can pause whenever i want rather than the full bore nonstop workplace."

If you want to spend a full day in Gainesville recovering from the lengthy train ride, by all means go ahead and do so. But don't kid yourself into believing that such a stop will be needed for altitude acclimation. Gainesville's elevation is just 1,205 feet. From Amicalola Falls State Park (729 feet elevation) you'll hike up slightly more than 3,000 vertical feet to reach the top of Springer Mountain at 3,783. It may be prudent for people to hike up there slowly for other reasons, but that ascent should not require altitude acclimation by anyone in reasonably good health.

By the time you reach Clingman's Dome in the Smokies, 167 miles beyond Springer Mountain, your body will have had considerable time to adjust both the strains of hiking day after day with a pack (your main concern) and also altitudes in the 3,000 to 5,000 foot range.
    Well, going slow is the overall plan. I've always figured to be moving before the crack of dawn, weather providing anyways since i'm not any kind of speed demon. Believe it or not i actually found a video on youtube where the guy describes having problems with altitude (amongst other things) since he was going for big miles right off the bat on a GA section hike from Springer. That's what got me to post since i never once have ever heard of anyone in my research mentioning any kind of real problem.

Just another half assed worry out of the way.

Garlic
    Images

Yeah, nothing to worry about. You may notice something, but it won't be debilitating.

I lived in flagstaff AZ before moving to Maine. I really noticed it living there. Exercise was much harder for the first month. In Maine I dont even notice any effect when I climb Mt K (5267’)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    Just a little something that has been at the back of my mind for the past week or so and i figured i would ask here....
    I quoted you because I hope after this time you still read this as I had elevation issues on my AT thru.

Historically I had issues at even lower elevations, such as Killington Peak (VT) at 4000 ft, and a felt like dieing at 11,000 Ft. And lived my entire life near sea level (most of it sea level + 10 feet). My ability to withstand higher altitudes have since improved.

My for my thru, when I went through the Smokies, while I was OK at the 5000-6000 elevations including nights, I didn't feel like sleep was restorative. It was like I awoke like I never have slept (though without the sleepyness- just the lack of recovery). So each day was a additional drain. after a stop at Gatlingburn at the apx 1/2 way point at lower elevation helped and tge stop at the end (standing Bear ) restored everything.

Short story made shorter, if you are highly susceptible, yes you will feel effects, but will make it through. Don't be afraid to take a night (or 2 if needed) at the 1/2 way point, and all will be well once you exit the smokies. Also just to add everything should be fine once you reach NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I quoted you because I hope after this time you still read this as I had elevation issues on my AT thru.

Historically I had issues at even lower elevations, such as Killington Peak (VT) at 4000 ft, and a felt like dieing at 11,000 Ft. And lived my entire life near sea level (most of it sea level + 10 feet). My ability to withstand higher altitudes have since improved.

My for my thru, when I went through the Smokies, while I was OK at the 5000-6000 elevations including nights, I didn't feel like sleep was restorative. It was like I awoke like I never have slept (though without the sleepyness- just the lack of recovery). So each day was a additional drain. after a stop at Gatlingburn at the apx 1/2 way point at lower elevation helped and tge stop at the end (standing Bear ) restored everything.

Short story made shorter, if you are highly susceptible, yes you will feel effects, but will make it through. Don't be afraid to take a night (or 2 if needed) at the 1/2 way point, and all will be well once you exit the smokies. Also just to add everything should be fine once you reach NH.
    All in all i figure things will be fine if i stick to taking it really easy out the gate. By the time i get to Low Gap things ought to be just right.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    "The only thing I noticed was that none of my carefully-tested "Knorrs" meals worked on the trail because they boiled at a much lower temperature and therefore never reached a high enough temp to soften the pasta or rice in a reasonable amount of time -- particularly the rice versions.

I switched to Mountain House at the earliest opportunity and never had another problem. They seem to be designed for high altitude cooking."

Harrison--I also make Knorrs/Lipton meals frequently. At what elevations did you have difficulty cooking them? I've experienced that frustration (greatly extended cooking times for pasta or rice) up at 8,000 t0 9,000 feet elevation several times in the West but I have not yet had similar difficulties occur anywhere on the AT.
    I couldn't get them to work anywhere between Springer and Hiawassee, which is where I switched to Mountainhouse. I'd have to check, but I imagine most of the shelters in that stretch are around 4,000 ft. I was using a Jetboil. They worked great when I tested them at home (sea level -- Houston area). But on the trail -- crunchy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++