WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

how did you like it? Sounds like you stayed warm??
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Compared to my EE quillt it is extremely resistant to getting wet from condensation, snow, Ice which gives me much greater confidence on trips in below freezing weather in my solomid.

I've finally had a chance to be in my tent and sleeping bags, one at a time, on chilly nights lately. Mornings in the teens. Sleeping bag touching the coated bathtub floor. "The Horror!" Balaclava damp around my mouth. No frost or worse.
    Am I just lucky? Or are the horror stories greatly exaggerated?
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I've had moderate issues with frozen condensation on my solomid getting on the footbox of my quilt but that was at temps below about 25 when I don't ever plan on using it. the water repellency/shell on my nemo bag isn't even comparable, it's like 10x better.

I won’t tempt fate. No worries at all.
    Thanks. Enjoy the new bag.
    Wayne

Images

Concerning Feathered Friends winter sleeping bags, about 18 or 20 years ago I bought a Widgeon -10 degree bag. The bag has been awesome for very cold winter trips and has held up well. It is well made, but expensive. If you get out a lot in the winter, you may want to consider a better bag. It's nice if you have the space to have different bags for the seasons. I found that I got out a lot more in the winter once I had a better cold weather bag. I always felt like I was at a nice hotel in the wilderness in the Widgeon. However, one can easily still get out using two bags, one inside the other in very cold weather. It's just a little more weight.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wperrott92 View Post
    Cold front is hitting the OHT this weekend and I imagine after the initial sleet tommorow at least one of the trailheads on a main road will be treated for ice or at least a less hilly drive doable for a 4 wheel drive vehicle or a trailhead on gravel/dirt road that wont ice over too bad so test coming soon. would like to get out on hare mountain saturday/Sunday. May make this into a multi day affair by keeping extra gear in the car to be safe to experiment with different setups.

Found out I will be at ft benning after i graduate for infantry training and ranger so good practice for winter weekends on Georgia AT.
    Travel light and freeze at night. Good luck with the Ranger Course. I was class 9-76. RLTW!
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I've finally had a chance to be in my tent and sleeping bags, one at a time, on chilly nights lately. Mornings in the teens. Sleeping bag touching the coated bathtub floor. "The Horror!" Balaclava damp around my mouth. No frost or worse.
    Am I just lucky? Or are the horror stories greatly exaggerated?
    Wayne
    I know when I first started winter camping, actually the very first night I went I was over bundled and my top synthetic bag was a sheet of ice, tent was all ice. Tent floor was soaked. Didn’t sleep. Didn’t vent properly. Spilt my coffee on my self inflating mattress and watched it disappear. And I wondered how anyone could deal with all these things for two nights. Or two weeks. It just comes with time learning not to worry about things you can’t control and enjoying the trip. Just stay warm and keep your puffy dry. If you do that I think everything else should fall into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++