WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default I need boot recommendation...read why

In Sept I rolled my ankle. This injury is a result of a weak ankle from an injury that I got in the military. It was bad this time. But I am not a quitter.
    Anyways. I have been doing my training hikes in Altria LP 3.0 and love them. But there is no way I can start the trail in them.
    I just finished 45 miles on the Foothills Trail wearing my Asolo 520’s because I still need the support. These boots are super supportive, but also very heavy.
    Recommend me some supportive boots, not goretex, with wide toe box, AND good grip on wet trail.
    Thanks, Hootyhoo.

Light and supportive might be hard to come by as added material helps stability. Have you looked at the mid-height version of the LP 3?

See if you can get the VA to help you out on this, financially. It is their job.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I did look at the Altra middies, but it is too hot. The fit is great on them as well, but not much support. I might go back to Keen or try the Merrill’s. But both of those boots have proved “slippery” to me in the past. Although, I
    loved the fit of the keens, and they were very durable.
    I really have not been in the boot shopping business for a long time.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I'd suggest getting a decent ankle brace instead and continuing to use the shoes that otherwise work for you.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I second what elf said. I have the same problem with my left ankle. Then again my experience with the brace is it hurts too. I'll probably take brace and wear it on the more difficult parts.

Images

Or instead of the brace, try wrapping the ankle with some self adhering tape. With proper application, I find that it provides some extra support.

Ditto on the ankle brace. I sprained my ankle in 2016 as I approached the Fontana shelter. It swelled up and hurt like crazy. I tried wrapping it (actually another hiker did it for me). The wrap was fine for awhile, but eventually my circulation was restricted. You really have to know what you are doing when you wrap an ankle. I took off the tape and used only an an ankle brace, and it helped immensely. I still had periods of swelling and pain, but the brace helped me push through it.

When I finished my hike (a LASH - 532 miles), I went to the VA and they sent me to a private therapist. The therapist had me do a bunch of ankle exercises that strengthened my ankle. I was told you don't "heal" a sprain, but you can strengthen the ankle. in 2017 I continued my LASH (another 750 miles) and I had no problems. I wore the ankle brace for awhile, but eventually took it off towards the end of the hike.

Moral of the story - strengthen the ankle (most important) and wear a brace.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

By the way, I forgot to mention that I wear Columbia Newton Ridge Plus II boots. Very comfortable and light. They didn't prevent my sprain, but made the going a little easier.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

I really like the Vivo Tracker FG. I really like the whole "barefoot sole" thing. Super lightweight, supportive, waterproof, and surprisingly good traction... not to mention they look great... not that it matter too much.

Unfortunately they are pretty spendy.. but you can get them for a little bit cheaper on amazon

Moab mid ventilator? Bulky compared to a trail runner but supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merrell just brought out a Moab mid tactical boot that I got. So far I like it a lot. A little warm for summer, but for now until June I think it will be just fine. Fairly light for the size boot it is, and it still has the same Moab tried pattern.

There are also some good lightweight tactical boots out there I can point you towards if you need a taller boot.

Merrell just brought out a Moab mid tactical boot that I got. So far I like it a lot. A little warm for summer, but for now until June I think it will be just fine. Fairly light for the size boot it is, and it still has the same Moab tried pattern.

There are also some good lightweight tactical boots out there I can point you towards if you need a taller boot.

Images

I like the look of the Vivo boots. Sweet. Moab’s - I will try those and whatever Keen has that resembles the old Targhee
    Thanks everyone.
    My injury is not classed as a sprain it is a grade 2 tear. From the ankle bone and 8” up the outside of the calf. I have a protrusion that sticks out the front of the ankle bone as well. But it is a lot better than it was 2 months ago. I never gave it a chance to “set-up” on me. I kept moving it as much as possible until I could put a little weight on it. My biggest day since Sept was 9.7 miles from Sassafrass Mt to Table Rock State Park...and it’s low miles, but I am proud of it with what I am working with.
    Thanks for all the support. WB community rocks the support.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVogel View Post
    I really like the Vivo Tracker FG. I really like the whole "barefoot sole" thing...
    Funny thing, to name a boot "barefoot".

I once had a bunch of torn tendons around the ankle, and it took a long time to heal up to a level that I can live with it. PT would have been great, but all I did was pressing through the issue myself.
    What finally helped to really clear out the issue was walking barefoot (really barefoot). It was just a few km apiece at the beginning, and after 2-3yrs I was ready to perform whole hikes barefoot and I still do this occassionally, but I aways carry some light shoes or flipflops as backup.
    Walking barefoot strengthens the ankle and all muscles and tendons around it enourmously, after years I could finally see how thick the ankle had become (thick by strength, not by being swollen).
    One very positive thing about walking barefoot is, that you hardly ever can overdo it at the beginning. The pain on the soles will tell you when to stop.

Merrell makes their Moab 2 mid boots in wide width. I had a pair of them for a while but they just weren't wide enough for my 4E feet. They might be worth looking into.
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-2-...th/27936M.html

They are available in mid or low, goretex or non.

Keen, Lowa, and many others also make boots in wide widths, but they are only available in goretex versions.

Check on tactical Boots, There are several out there that are under 16oz. You can find them in 6" or 8" 'water prof or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Funny thing, to name a boot "barefoot".

I once had a bunch of torn tendons around the ankle, and it took a long time to heal up to a level that I can live with it. PT would have been great, but all I did was pressing through the issue myself.
    What finally helped to really clear out the issue was walking barefoot (really barefoot). It was just a few km apiece at the beginning, and after 2-3yrs I was ready to perform whole hikes barefoot and I still do this occasionally, but I always carry some light shoes or flipflops as backup.
    Walking barefoot strengthens the ankle and all muscles and tendons around it enormously, after years I could finally see how thick the ankle had become (thick by strength, not by being swollen).
    One very positive thing about walking barefoot is, that you hardly ever can overdo it at the beginning. The pain on the soles will tell you when to stop.
    That's what I thought too when I first saw them. I prefer their trail runners to give more of the benefits of going "barefoot". But the Trackers are a very good compromise for cold weather hiking to keep your feet warm.

I would agree that after spending a few years going completely barefoot whenever I could It really help improve the strength and endurance of my feet and ankles. But the Vivos do a very good job at giving you the benefits of going barefoot without exposing your feet to cuts, sharp rocks, etc.

Since then I started working as a carrier for the postal service and required to wear overly supportive shoes. I have noticed a drastic increase in fatigue and foot pain after long distances. Now that I have quit I will have to build up the strength in my feet again.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

A lot of your ankle support actually comes from the sole and heel cup rather than from the boot. I know that my ankle and knee problems were helped a lot by custom-fitted orthoses, much more than by any change of boot that I tried.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I have the Asolo boots and hiked with a broken ankle for 12 miles... I started the hike with the broken ankle. Boots are so supportive I never had an issue. I purchased some lighted boots that offer nearly the same support however they are goretex so I am not sure you wante em; I use then in summer and they breath quite well: La Sportiva Omega GTX Hiking Boots. My ankle is healed now and my experience with the lighter and "oh so comfortable" lasportivas led me to getting my new "go to" boots the synthesis mid... takes a while to get used to hiking with a boot without a midsole shank.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++