WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    I have the Asolo boots and hiked with a broken ankle for 12 miles... I started the hike with the broken ankle. Boots are so supportive I never had an issue. I purchased some lighted boots that offer nearly the same support however they are goretex so I am not sure you wante em; I use then in summer and they breath quite well: La Sportiva Omega GTX Hiking Boots. My ankle is healed now and my experience with the lighter and "oh so comfortable" lasportivas led me to getting my new "go to" boots the synthesis mid... takes a while to get used to hiking with a boot without a midsole shank.

lol, I meant to say "lighter boots" not lighted

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    Moab mid ventilator? Bulky compared to a trail runner but supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The limp mesh in the Mids offered no support.
    Extra weight. Extra cost. Zero extra support.
    Full leather offers support.
    Beware of the Asolo 520s. The soles separated from the uppers on my pair.
    Sierra Trading Post has several over the ankle boots from LaSportiva, Alico, etc.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'll add in another plug for an ankle brace. I got a significant sprain a few years back, and went and got one of those simple braces from a drugstore (like CVS or Walgreens) that is basically just an elastic compression tube with a heel cutout. It worked great and allowed me to keep walking on the ankle until it healed up. The brace was also minimally intrusive when worn inside of a trail runner, which was nice because I wasn't sure if wearing a brace inside of a shoe might cause other issues.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

not that I am by any mans knowledgeable in this sort of thing....
    my 1st thought when reading was ankle brace instead of a boot.....I'm thinking not like something you'd get form walgreens, but something much better....maybe from an orthopedic doc.
    then I thought of KT tape. I recently was watching some youtube vids of how to use it for shoulder and neck pain and posture. Found a video by a physical therapist that was quite interesting. I have to think that it might be worth paying for a few PT visits, IF you could find a good one. Someone very knowledgeable re. the anatomy of your injury just might be able to show you two things... how to tape for support, and how to properly strengthen to support. No doubt you've likely already had PT for the injury....but I'm thinking that, like almost anything, not all therapists are equal....

Images

Lowa renegade hightop. You wont be disappointed. Usually available at REI.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    Lowa renegade hightop. You wont be disappointed. Usually available at REI.
    The Leather Lined Model. Not Gore-Tex.
    Wayne

Everyone is different, but my suggestion will surprise you. I also had weak ankles. I wore heavy leather boots that caught me when I turned my ankle. I thought the leather boots were protecting me from injury, but I still had some pain from the turned ankles. About 9 years ago, I switched to Vibram FiveFinger Shoes. I have not turned my ankle since. I discovered that the reason I was turning my ankles was the heavy boots. I couldn't really feel where I was stepping. With the Fivefinger Shoes, I feel the trail and don't turn my ankles.

They aren't for everyone, but it is worth a try. They worked for me.
    Shutterbug

I read a blog by a guy a few years back that had hiked the grand canyon several times. One time he wrote about hiking rim to rim along with his daughter in 5-fingers. he talked about every other time he hiked the canyon his "dogs" would be barking at the end of each day when he pulled his boots off to soak them in a stream. Not so with the 5 fingers.
    I've never tried them personally, but i think your suggestion seems very plausible, shutterbug

Personally, I'm considering getting a nice pair of hiking sandals. Similar idea.

My daughter wanted low top basketball shoes and I told her she should wear for high top for ankle support.

I did some research and what I found out there is little to no data to back up the statement that high tops add any significant ankle support (these are high tops. Not those boots that rise 6”-10” above the ankles)

However, wrapping ankles and plastic ankle supports will be more effective than high top boots. Volleyball players wear plastic ankle supports with low top shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I read a blog by a guy a few years back that had hiked the grand canyon several times. One time he wrote about hiking rim to rim along with his daughter in 5-fingers. he talked about every other time he hiked the canyon his "dogs" would be barking at the end of each day when he pulled his boots off to soak them in a stream. Not so with the 5 fingers.
    I've never tried them personally, but i think your suggestion seems very plausible, shutterbug

Personally, I'm considering getting a nice pair of hiking sandals. Similar idea.
    About 9 years ago, I was hiking in the Grand Canyon coming back from Clear Creek. I was wearing some very expensive hiking boots and my feet were killing me. I had a pair of fivefingers in my pack to use as camp shoes. My feet were hurting so bad that I was limping. I took off the boots and put on the fivefingers. I have never gone back to boots. I have worn the fivefingers on trails all around the world. The only times I have wished I had boots have been in crossing snow fields. If I walk more than 1/4 mile in snow, my feet get cold.
    Shutterbug

My orthopedic surgeon told me (after my third ankle break) that the most important thing in footwear for ankle stability is a good heel cup. Also, after the last time I broke my ankle and had surgery to put me back together again, it took me about two years to regain my strength and that was finally because I moved from the city where I had been working and always walking on flat surfaces, to living in a horse farm where I was doing weight bearing work on uneven ground. Use it or lose it. Or I should say, use it or it will never strengthen up again. I had stepped on a crack in the sidewalk and went down due to instability in my ankle. I just thought my ankle was toast even after PT. Nope. It just needed to be used under all sorts of conditions. Every day.

Images

Thanks for all the replies to this thread.

The joints in your body alternate between stability joints and mobility joints. Ankles are a mobility joint. They are meant to flexible with the terrain. I've they don't flex, that tension is passed to the next joint in line, which is a stability joint, the knee. It's designed to flex in direction only, front to back. Next joint up is your hips, a mobility joint, moves in multiple directions. Then your lower back, a stability joint. Upper back and neck are mobility joints. It's a complete system. When part of that system is restricted, it causes stress elsewhere. Inflexible ankles or hips causes problems with your knees or your lower back. Don't restrict your mobility joints, and it won't cause problems with your stability joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

Wayne
    I hear ya brother---my Asolos on an 18 day Cohutta trip---

All the talk now is about wearing next to nothing footwear but I'm a believer in the full leather boot. Most definitely especially in the winter. My faves (and 520 replacements) are a pair of Zamberlan Vioz's which come in wide sizes. Heavy sure but there when you need them and awesome when heading down a snowy nutbusting trail with a 75 lb pack---

TRIP 171 154-XL.jpg
    Zams in action.

P1000250-XL.jpg
    And they're waterproof for those tricky 1 inch to 6 inch creek crossings.

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

Sierra Trading Post has several over the ankle boots from LaSportiva, Alico, etc.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    I really like my Moab Mid Vents... and I disagree with your statement that they don’t add any additional support over a trail runner. Certainly more support around the ankle although yes, less than a full leather boot.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidlifeHiker View Post
    I really like my Moab Mid Vents... and I disagree with your statement that they don’t add any additional support over a trail runner. Certainly more support around the ankle although yes, less than a full leather boot.

Chris
    I had a different experience with the Moab Mids.
    Glad you liked them.
    Wayne

I had a different experience with the Moab Mids.
    Glad you liked them.
    Wayne
    It’s why there’s so many boot companies - different preferences! Happy hiking.

Don’t I know! I’ve tried more than a few.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidlifeHiker View Post

Chris
    Nope.
    No such thing as any significant ankle support.
    At least not without a full boot laced tight enough to be clunky for walking.

Think figure skates. Thats support. Even then its not enough for me to even skate in figure skates, my ankles flop around. I need hard hockey skates.

Dont confuse support with sensory feedback and a cozy feeling. Its a sales buzzword to bamboozle consumers.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-16-2018 at 04:49.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Nope.
    No such thing as any significant ankle support.
    At least not without a full boot laced tight enough to be clunky for walking.

Think figure skates. Thats support. Even then its not enough for me to even skate in figure skates, my ankles flop around. I need hard hockey skates.

Dont confuse support with sensory feedback and a cozy feeling. Its a sales buzzword to bamboozle consumers.
    Surely there are degrees... to claim that support only exists as a rigid structure that prevents your ankle from bending at all isn’t accurate. Why do high-top sneakers exist? Why would you wear a sleeve on your knee or elbow? Both examples provide support but allow the joint to move. Just my opinion.

Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++