Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    The other white meat
    Join Date
    01-20-2004
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Age
    49
    Posts
    103

    Default Dirt cheap flight to Atlanta from NJ

    I scored a flight from Trenton/Princeton airport to ATL for only $80 total via Frontier airlines. There were at least 4 seats left at this price for April 6 and my guess for other dates as well.
    This airport is easily accessible for those in the PA/NJ/NY tri-state area.

  2. #2
    illabelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-25-2012
    Location
    Lurkerville, East Tn
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,945
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    We got a similarly great deal from Allegiant Air last year from Knoxville nonstop to Newark. I don't remember the advertised price, something like 40 or 50 bucks. They had add-on fees for EVERYTHING. Carry-on, choosing your seat, printing your boarding pass, and some more that I don't remember, but the total cost was still somewhere in the $60-$70 range. They don't have a great reputation for customer service, but we had no problems. And their flight schedules don't give very many options. At that price, we'd certainly use them again.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    16,061

    Default

    You overpaid. First, and almost always the only site I use, is the ITA Matrix Software Search by Google. If you had been a bit flexible on your date of travel upon a quick search you could have nabbed an Apr 3, 10-11 or 17-18 flight from Trenton/Mercer AP(TTN) to Atlanta- Hartsfield Jackson AP(ATL) for $49 on Frontier. An Apr 5 or 9 flight on Frontier is $59. https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#cale...esearch=ACYATL


    ITA Software by Google is used by many airline companies in the commercial pedestrian flight category. You can easily use the matric software to find the lowest advertised price for any of these airlines. Once you find a fare you like, you can give the information from this site to your travel agent or airline when making a booking.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    16,061

    Default

    You went on a fri too a day when airfares are often bumped higher.

  6. #6
    The other white meat
    Join Date
    01-20-2004
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Age
    49
    Posts
    103

    Default

    My date is set in stone due to other commitments. For a Friday flight, I don't think I overpaid and Frontier has a good rep... at least with me.

  7. #7
    The other white meat
    Join Date
    01-20-2004
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Age
    49
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You overpaid. First, and almost always the only site I use, is the ITA Matrix Software Search by Google. If you had been a bit flexible on your date of travel upon a quick search you could have nabbed an Apr 3, 10-11 or 17-18 flight from Trenton/Mercer AP(TTN) to Atlanta- Hartsfield Jackson AP(ATL) for $49 on Frontier. An Apr 5 or 9 flight on Frontier is $59. https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#cale...esearch=ACYATL
    My actual airfare was only $39.20 the rest is fees and taxes. Either way, getting to Atlanta in 1.5 hours is preferable to the alternative of driving.
    On my first thru hike 27 years ago, my friends late mother drove us non-stop for 17 hours and I'd pay almost anything to avoid that hell again!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    16,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    My actual airfare was only $39.20 the rest is fees and taxes. Either way, getting to Atlanta in 1.5 hours is preferable to the alternative of driving.
    On my first thru hike 27 years ago, my friends late mother drove us non-stop for 17 hours and I'd pay almost anything to avoid that hell again!
    Wow. I feel your pain on both accounts.

  9. #9
    NJdreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-28-2015
    Location
    NJ - New Jersey
    Age
    61
    Posts
    138
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    I scored a flight from Trenton/Princeton airport to ATL for only $80 total via Frontier airlines. There were at least 4 seats left at this price for April 6 and my guess for other dates as well.
    This airport is easily accessible for those in the PA/NJ/NY tri-state area.
    I appreciate the information for when I am able to do a LASH in Georgia. I have also had good results flying with Frontier from Trenton, but did not realize they flew there. Re: fees, that seems to be the new way, and short of buying gear and food there (no thanks), you have to check luggage. Thanks.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 505 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    My actual airfare was only $39.20 the rest is fees and taxes. Either way, getting to Atlanta in 1.5 hours is preferable to the alternative of driving.
    On my first thru hike 27 years ago, my friends late mother drove us non-stop for 17 hours and I'd pay almost anything to avoid that hell again!
    +1 on TTN. My office is near TTN and the airport really is a nice alternative, now that Frontier and Allegiant are there. I've only used it for business aviation, but for personal travel I think I'd rather drive to TTN from pretty much anywhere in NJ than deal with EWR, JFK, or LGA. (Bonus points for not answering Dogwood's initial snarky tone with more snark.)

  11. #11
    The other white meat
    Join Date
    01-20-2004
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Age
    49
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    I appreciate the information for when I am able to do a LASH in Georgia. I have also had good results flying with Frontier from Trenton, but did not realize they flew there. Re: fees, that seems to be the new way, and short of buying gear and food there (no thanks), you have to check luggage. Thanks.
    You make a good point about the carry on and it would be good to check to see if your pack fits their criteria. Frontier's current policy is "All passengers are allowed one free personal item that will fit under the seat in front of you. It can be no larger than 14” tall, 8” wide, and 18” long (including handles, wheels, and straps). Think backpacks, purses, briefcases and computer bags… " Otherwise the carry on fee is $35. My pack is pretty small to begin with and should make the cut especially since I'll be wearing all jackets/spare clothes on the plane, have very little food for the start at Springer and mailing a few small gear items to Neel's Gap.
    In truth, it would be worth it for me if I had to pay a lot more just for the convenience of flying out so close to my home as opposed to Philadelphia or Newark. Trenton airport is very small, but is never crowded, so no long lines through security.

  12. #12
    NJdreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-28-2015
    Location
    NJ - New Jersey
    Age
    61
    Posts
    138
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    You make a good point about the carry on and it would be good to check to see if your pack fits their criteria. Frontier's current policy is "All passengers are allowed one free personal item that will fit under the seat in front of you. It can be no larger than 14” tall, 8” wide, and 18” long (including handles, wheels, and straps). Think backpacks, purses, briefcases and computer bags… " Otherwise the carry on fee is $35. My pack is pretty small to begin with and should make the cut especially since I'll be wearing all jackets/spare clothes on the plane, have very little food for the start at Springer and mailing a few small gear items to Neel's Gap.
    In truth, it would be worth it for me if I had to pay a lot more just for the convenience of flying out so close to my home as opposed to Philadelphia or Newark. Trenton airport is very small, but is never crowded, so no long lines through security.
    The only problem I have run into there is allow time to get through security since there is just one line.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 505 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-09-2007
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    51

    :banana

    Quote Originally Posted by show me the monkey View Post
    My actual airfare was only $39.20 the rest is fees and taxes. Either way, getting to Atlanta in 1.5 hours is preferable to the alternative of driving.
    On my first thru hike 27 years ago, my friends late mother drove us non-stop for 17 hours and I'd pay almost anything to avoid that hell again!
    In 2007 we took Greyhound from my parents in Maine to Gainesville. it was 27 hours of the best people watching I have ever witnessed, especially NYC during the witching hour! That being said, I'll never take the bus again!!!!
    "The best way to spend your life is to build something that will outlast it."

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •