WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The other white meat

Spare liner socks for temps above 30 deg F for me, otherwise any of the mitten suggestions above will do. I would not recommend leather mittens unless you're only using them to chop wood!

True, leather is no good in wet conditions.
    But on the other hand its invaluable to give knitted mittens perfect protection against wear when using walking poles (or skier poles, when doing backcountry skiing).

I must admit, I really like windproof fleece mittens with rubber palms. Unfortunately the only place I could find them was a firm in Homer Alaska https://nomaralaska.com/collections/...ndbloc-mittens. Not cheap but real warm.

I find the best prices for mittens around presidents weekend sales, when orders for spring lines begin to take shape.

I caught the flu and still down. I live in GA. I am looking for a pair i can grab my trekking pole with around 20-40 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I must admit, I really like windproof fleece mittens with rubber palms. Unfortunately the only place I could find them was a firm in Homer Alaska https://nomaralaska.com/collections/...ndbloc-mittens. Not cheap but real warm.
    $25 isn't bad for serious mittens.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Boiled wool Dachstein mitts are great but only for very cold -- too warm for most of the New England winter:
    http://www.sweatersintl.com/woolmittens.html (on sale now for $27.45 + 2.50 shipping, a great price).
    I got my Sweaters international Dachstein mitts today. They are pretty good, but seem not quite as thick and not quite as dense as my old Ortovox Dachsteins. Today is cold and windy (4F, winds to 37mph), and if I go back out I'll wear the Sweaters International Dachsteins (but I'm becoming a wimp in my old age so I may not go back out). Today is definitely Dachstein or overmitt weather.

I would shovel, but the wind just blows the snow right back.

good choice

i need a pair

the old ones were much better

Images

I did go back out into fairly extreme weather (below 0F, wind up to 30mph). I put a http://www.sweatersintl.com/woolmittens.html Dachstein mitt on my left hand and my old Ortovox Dachstein on my right. There wasn't a noticeable difference in warmth. What is clear is that I am not as tough as I was when I was younger; both hands were a bit too cold when the wind was howling. When I was younger I would have been fine. That day I really needed windproof overmitts. Perhaps the 20+ year old Ortovox have gotten a little worn over the years, though they don't look it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++