WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

����!

[Required 10 letters. ��]

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Bear View Post
    ����!

[Required 10 letters. ��]
    Bwa ha ha that didn’t work.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldr162 View Post
    Also, two short videos I took on my last day. The first is up on the ridge heading to the bunion and the second is at the bunion.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k-L...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1srb...ew?usp=sharing
    Really enjoyed the 1st video.
    Reminds me of a hike I did along Alum to Arch Rock in one foot of virgin snow. We were the 1st people on the trail after the road opened.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Really enjoyed the 1st video.
    Reminds me of a hike I did along Alum to Arch Rock in one foot of virgin snow. We were the 1st people on the trail after the road opened.
    Sounds very peaceful. That's the way I'd describe this hike. I had it all to myself besides seeing a couple people once I got close to my car at the parking lot. I did follow some animal tracks about a quarter of the way to the bunion. I couldn't place the ones that resembled small dog prints.. maybe a fox? But otherwise just a few deer tracks mixed in.

I visited some family friends on Wednesday out on Tobes Creek Rd and drove the Old Cataloochee Turnpike afterwards just because I had some time and was playing with the idea of a quick hike up to Mt Sterling Tower from the gap and I saw some elk down the hill from some houses.

No bears this trip though luckily. A coworker went the week before me and saw several while driving through the park. When I got to Cades Cove the other morning to hike Rocky Top it was snowing already and I pulled up beside a ranger to ask him about opening the gate to the campground and we talked a bit and he had told me they were having bear activity, even in the freezing weather we had last week. I'm still a little on edge from my trip in August to see the solar eclipse when I got bluff charged.. It's a little scary being out in the backcountry by yourself and that happening to you.

sheesh, I've had one hair-raising bear experience, but never been charged. good for you for staring him down.

glad you had a fun trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    sheesh, I've had one hair-raising bear experience, but never been charged. good for you for staring him down.

glad you had a fun trip.
    Old sugarlands trail by the visitor center. I was walking on the gravel road toward bull head and put my head down for a second just to look at my footing and when I looked up something caught my eye in the trees in front of me. I saw two black blobs moving up trees. I then realized they were cubs and saw an even bigger black blob staring me down. As soon as I realized that I was looking at a bear, she was charging me. I didn't even know what to do because it all happened so quick. I thought I was a goner but luckily she stopped about 10 feet from me. I slowly backed away and she watched me all the way down the trail until I was out of sight. I got the hell out of there and walked my happy self back to my car and called hiking done for the day. Since then I've been pretty on edge and looking for hiking partners instead of just running out and going solo. Scared the holy mess out of me to say the least

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

No bears this trip though luckily. ... I'm still a little on edge from my trip in August to see the solar eclipse when I got bluff charged.. It's a little scary being out in the backcountry by yourself and that happening to you.
    I always consider it lucky when I DO see a bear. But then again, I've never been bluff charged.

But I can understand the scary factor... I had taken my 7yo on his 1st camping trip in GSMNP. On the way to our campsite, we encountered several hikers reporting they had recently seen a bear. The last group we passed for the day specifically reported bears at the campsite, and we were the only ones at the campsite that evening. Alone with a 7yo child in the woods didn't exactly "scare" me... but I was hyper vigilante... so much so that that night I had the MOST lucid dream I've ever had in my life. I can distinctly remember dreaming that I was walking into a house for a party. But as I entered the door, I was saying to myself, "I'm not really at this party. I'm currently sleeping in the middle of the GSMNP". I also recall that at this party, there were some water balloons. As I threw the water balloons, I could control them such that each one landed square in the middle of the head of my intended target.

Awesome pics!

What brand and model of spikes do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    Awesome pics!

What brand and model of spikes do you use?
    Thanks! The brand is Kahtoola. I use their nanospikes and microspikes

I visited some family friends on Wednesday out on Tobes Creek Rd and drove the Old Cataloochee Turnpike
    my grandma was born and grew up near there, just downhill from Davenport Gap on the Tennessee side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    my grandma was born and grew up near there, just downhill from Davenport Gap on the Tennessee side.
    I love the area. Wished I lived up there but gotta stay at this job a little longer. Maybe one day. Funny to me you wouldn't think the walk to davenport gap from big creek is that long until you drive it in a car and you're thinking damn was I seriously about to walk this just to get to the trailhead?? Lol luckily the time I hiked davenport to white rock I found someone to shuttle me to Davenport Gap from the ranger station at big creek

I love the area. Wished I lived up there but gotta stay at this job a little longer. Maybe one day. Funny to me you wouldn't think the walk to davenport gap from big creek is that long until you drive it in a car and you're thinking damn was I seriously about to walk this just to get to the trailhead?? Lol luckily the time I hiked davenport to white rock I found someone to shuttle me to Davenport Gap from the ranger station at big creek
    I have made that walk twice lol it is so much fun after walking the AT thru the smokies
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Funny to me you wouldn't think the walk to davenport gap from big creek is that long until you drive it in a car and you're thinking damn was I seriously about to walk this just to get to the trailhead??
    It just seems really long in a car because you have to travel it slow.
    The distance from Big Creek Ranger Station to the AT at the GSMNP boarder at Davenport Gap is only 1.5 miles.

There's several places within GSMNP where I've road-walked as much as 3 miles to complete a loop (that would be the road to Tremont between West Prong & Middle Prong Trails).
    Actually, one time I was going to walk more than 4 miles to get from Smokemont campground to Kephart Prong Trailhead. But about half way up the road someone at a pull-out offered me a ride the rest of the way.

Rocky Top, TN
    According to Wikipedia, the city was founded as "Coal Creek", renamed to "Lake City" in 1936, and then "Rocky Top" in 2014.
    We also have a Rocky Top mt on State Line Ridge along the BMT between Sandy Gap and Sled Runner Gap---and it's one of my favorite places . . . because there's no telephone bills!!

TRIP 104 051-L.jpg
    Ye Olde Rocky Top---below Beaverdam Bald in TN.

And to the OP---This is winter ridge hiking at its best. I bring my microspikes and snow shovel to dig out tent spots on such overnight trips.

Images

Thanks for the pictures. A friend at church showed me a picture that his daughter took at Ramsey's Cascade on Saturday. Frozen solid. Wish I could share.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. A friend at church showed me a picture that his daughter took at Ramsey's Cascade on Saturday. Frozen solid. Wish I could share.
    I have been looking at hashtags on instagram for the smokies like #gsmnp just to see pictures while I sit at my desk missing the mountains (lol) and a lot of people have posted pictures of spruce flats falls, which is completely frozen, and it looks extremely cool. Makes me wish I had taken a day to hike there or to ramsey cascades while I was in TN.

Images

I have been looking at hashtags on instagram for the smokies like #gsmnp just to see pictures while I sit at my desk missing the mountains (lol) and a lot of people have posted pictures of spruce flats falls, which is completely frozen, and it looks extremely cool. Makes me wish I had taken a day to hike there or to ramsey cascades while I was in TN.

yeah.....bunches of waterfalls froze up last week...

bald river falls down in the cherokee national forest was a zoo of people----because it sits right off the side of the road............

and linville falls froze as well and there have been some people climbing them (ropes and what not---not just going up with sneakers)

Default Hiking next week GSMNP partner

Should I hike in my hiking boots and change to Korkers for fishing or just hike and fish in the Korkers?

??? Rocky Top ???
    I thought that was an alternate name for Thunder Head Mountain along the AT just outside of Cades Cove.
    I'm familiar with 'Arch Rock', 'Eye of the Needle', 'Inspiration Point', 'The Bluffs', 'Gracie's Pulpit', 'Cliff Tops', 'High Top', 'Myrtle Point', 'The Jump Off', 'Charlie's Bunion', and 'The REAL Charlie's Bunion' in that area you descript. But I'm not familiar with anything called 'Rocky Top'.
    Since this thread has bean brought back up, and I know HooKoo is still around....I have to ask what is the REAL Charlie's Bunion? I didn't realize there were two.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DSPeabody View Post
    Since this thread has bean brought back up, and I know HooKoo is still around....I have to ask what is the REAL Charlie's Bunion? I didn't realize there were two.

Its about a quarter (maybe a touch longer or shorter) mile from what's now know as the "tourist bunion".......

small trail going through the brush, at least ten years ago when I was last up that way...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++