WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default zPacks Nero Padded Belt

Due to a generous gift toward gear I received for Christmas, I'm going to order a zPacks Nero for my upcoming Camino Frances hike. I'm uncertain regarding the padded belt with the hip pockets. Is this mainly a benefit for storage or does the padding significantly increase comfort? I wouldn't think that the belt transfers much if any load from shoulders to hip given that this is a frameless pack. I will typically have around 7 - 9 pounds in this pack during my hike so perhaps a hip belt is a non issue anyway. I don't really need the hip belt pockets for storage since I have zPacks shoulder pouches for things I need quick access to. Beyond the Camino, I might use this pack for short overnights, a function currently served by my ULA CDT which was what I was previously planning to take on the Camino but has more capacity than I require.

Thanks.

I have a arc blast, so I can't comment on the nero with certainty, so take this for the nothing that i's worth.....
    but I'd guess that the nero's strap is mainly there for stability....to keep it form flopping around
    and looking at the padded pouches, it looks to me as if that padding's primary function would be to give something for the pouches to attach to.... probably helps to "carry the load" in the pouches. Nothing more....

If packed well the belt does put some weight on the hips. I have a zero a zimmer built quickstep and CDT . I can live with a light belt with low weight. Would you use it with no belt ? If not a padded belt is nice. If you want to try one let me know

Thom

I think I'll just order it stock and add the padded pouches later if needed. Only reason to order now is really to get free shipping. My trip is in March so I'm going to do some shakedowns first, if only local day hikes.

That’s a good plan. Sounds like a great trip. Very Jealous.

thom

Just ordered in Azure Blue, I'm sure it is going to be great! Will post a review after I put some miles on it.

++ New Posts ++