WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Those pesky tourists! Why cant they stay home and just mail the money in?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Those pesky tourists! Why cant they stay home and just mail the money in?
    ...or print there own, gotta be a program on the net somewhere that looks official enough.

A wise man once told me that what others think of you is none of your damn business!! Could'nt agree more!!
    Its your hike so just go out and enjoy each and ever day of it and quit worry about labels etc

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Why do people insist on worrying about what other people think? You didn't take up hiking to be judged. If that's what you're looking for join some competitive sport, cycling or swimming. When you're out there hiking put all that nonsense out of your head! Hike your hike for you no one else! If you section hike back and forth till you accumulate enough miles to match the miles of the complete trail and want to consider yourself a thru hiker that's you business. Be true to yourself, the hell with everyone else!
    Last edited by tawa; 12-31-2017 at 20:25.

When you get out on the trail you will find that people who have the little rocker under the patch have done all sorts of stuff that doesn’t seem like walking.
    It is more a question of identity than of practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yea well, that's what makes it so difficult It's easier to just bag a summit as a day hike then hike between them. Plus I'd rather run over to Maine or Vermont and avoid the tourists hikers in NH. I don't need to add to overcrowding at campsites or deal with the AMC huts. Of course I've done some of the AT through NH, just not all of it.
    Same with me, I had 90% of the trail done but still had a bunch of short pieces nearby of trail that I missed while on weekend hikes. I spent one summer doing long hikes to pick up short sections. It was usually a day of hiking out and back to pick up a mile of trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    Silly hypothetical question. Do the 2190 miles have to be consecutive. I have no intention of doing this but what if someone walked 1100 miles Of the trail, decided they didn’t like it and turned around and walked back the entire path they just walked. Does this count? Is a through hike specifically point a to point b or is it the completion of 2200 miles of appalachian trail?
    The vertical distance from base camp (elev 17,958') to summit (elev 29,028') on Mt Everest is 11,070'.
    The vertical distance from base camp to Camp 1 (elev 19,685') is 1727'.
    So if I climb to Camp 1 seven times I will have covered 12,089' of vertical gain.
    So I have climbed Mt Everest.
    Um, NO.

Whoa folks. The OP seems to intentionally seek to be judged to qualify for "the completion of 2200 miles of appalachian trail", in context of qualifying for AT thru hiker completion status. What's wrong with judgment in this perspective?

If one wants to "officially" publicly qualify for that status from the ATC they need to abide by the ATC's qualifying conditions. The Elf clearly posted this highlighted qualifying conditions.

I wonder sometimes if the people who bristle at judgments related to themselves aren't some of the people quick to habitually engage in judgments about others and other things?

Want to qualify for a DL, bank loan, wed, job, career, friends, eat, hike, laugh, cry, go to war, make love .......it all involves making judgment calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Whoa folks. The OP seems to intentionally seek to be judged to qualify for "the completion of 2200 miles of appalachian trail", in context of qualifying for AT thru hiker completion status. What's wrong with judgment in this perspective?

If one wants to "officially" publicly qualify for that status from the ATC they need to abide by the ATC's qualifying conditions. The Elf clearly posted this highlighted qualifying conditions.

I wonder sometimes if the people who bristle at judgments related to themselves aren't some of the people quick to habitually engage in judgments about others and other things?

Want to qualify for a DL, bank loan, wed, job, career, friends, eat, hike, laugh, cry, go to war, make love .......it all involves making judgment calls.
    I didn't read the initial post in the same context as you. I saw nothing about official ATC certification in that post. A hike is a vacation. I think it's a bit silly to worry if you get a self reported merit badge for taking a vacation. Anyone who wants a badge can get one, just by requesting one.

We've had threads before about a purist thru hike vs. a "close enough" thru hike. In the end, the only opinion that matters is the hiker's.

I think you're reading way too much into the motivations of those who responded to the goofy question.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    And imagine the chagrin felt if, upon getting to the car, the hiker realized something was left behind at the turnaround point!

Is there a 4400 mile patch?
    Well not a patch exactly, but there is an interesting guy--PJ Wetzel (don't know what his trail name is) who "day hiked" the whole AT twice. Parked his car at various places and hiked back to it (including the 100 Mile Wilderness) and never stayed a night in a tent or shelter because he hates them. They gave him some sort of special recognition as no one has ever done this before.

Same here, I logged way over 2000 miles on the trail before I ever completed all the sections. Just liked certain parts so did them multiple times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++