WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Georgia Non-Shelter Camping advise for first time on AT

Hello everyone! I am an avid camper, hunter, fisherman who is more equipped to be outdoors than indoors.......but this is my first trip to the AT. Really excited! We are just doing a small trip to start. I have read what I can but I just rather have expert advise from the WhiteBlaze community. If my group starts at Hogpen on 348 late one evening can we go several hundred yards down the trail and set up camp? I think the rules are to camp 100 yards away from main trail... Then somewhere between Neels Gap and Blood Mtn. we would like to off trail camp... then somewhere around Woody off trail camp... We very well may enjoy camping at one of the shelters for some good community conversation but our group is going just to relax and slow walk and have fun hanging out. Im a little confused on camp fires but from what Ive read I think they are Banned in this area...Correct? Many Thanks for any advise!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Good place to start for info

http://getawaytips.azcentral.com/ten...rgia-1151.html

> Im a little confused on camp fires
    Leave No Trace principles would mean using ONLY established fire pits. Better still would be to not build a fire at all, and cook your food with fuel that you carry.
    The Georgia section of the A.T. is one of the most heavily over-used part of The Trail, and LNT camping would help reduce the horrendous damage done by more campers than nature can handle.

How big is your group? Going south from Hogpen Gap you climb up to Wildcat Mtn (maybe 1/4 mile)and there are a couple small places to camp there, maybe 2-3 tents each place or you can go to the left down to the Whitley Gap shelter; Not sure about camping places between Neel Gap and Blood, although there is a good spot on top of Blood or just down the south side of it; right before you get to Woody Gap there is a good place on top of Big Cedar Mtn. Hope this helps some.

Fires are banned from Neel Gap south to (I think) Lance Creek. Definitely banned on Blood though.

If you do make a fire, please follow LNT guidelines. Not worth the trouble to me but I understand the whole camping requires a campfire thing.

You won't have any problem finding a place to camp. 2 tenths of mile South of the road you will see the side trail that goes to Whitley Shelter. There is good camping here near this intersection either left or right of the AT. That shelter is way to heck down there. Don't continue too far past here because you will start a big downhill to Tesneatee Gap with no good flat spots for about 2 miles clear on the other ridge after the gap. Between Blood and Neels about 1.4 miles South is Flatrock Gap with water and great camping places. Don't start up Blood unless you intend to camp at the top.

There is a trail which leads to water and a stealth campsite just south of Hogpen Gap along the AT. It's a quick, steep climb out of the gap to the Whitley shelter side trail (then 1.4 miles down hill to the shelter. No one goes there by choice). I don't remember seeing any tenting in that area, but I wasn't looking for any. The next marked campsite is at Baggs Creek gap, some 3 miles south of Hogpen.

Tent sites are generally located in the gaps, since the ground approaches level there. Water is sometimes available down the in the holler, .1 miles down the hill, if you can find the trail. The down side of camping in the gaps is it can be very windy there, as they act as a wind tunnel and are typically not a good choice for camping.

There is no where to camp between Neel and Blood Mt. The trail is very steep through there, with a number of switch backs.

Realistically, your better off planning to stay at shelter sites. They offer tenting areas, along with reliable water near-by, a privy, a picnic table and a fire ring. It's a much better location to hang around with a group.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;2177028]

There is no where to camp between Neel and Blood Mt. The trail is very steep through there, with a number of switch backs.
    QUOTE]

How long does it take to go from Neel to Blood Mt. top trekking at a normal non hustle pace? Thanks.

[QUOTE=Brownnatep;2177034]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

QUOTE]

How long does it take to go from Neel to Blood Mt. top trekking at a normal non hustle pace? Thanks.
    From Blood to Neel Gap, downhill, in the pouring rain I did it in 45 minutes? Uphill would be longer.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

2-3 hours would be a good plan if you are in no hurry.

It's like 2.4 miles from Neel to the top of Blood Mt and a good climb. At least a 2 hour climb for the average hiker.

Blood Mountain is also a poor place to spend the night. The stone building is very cold and no water near-by. If it's raining or snowing it blows in the open windows. There is a tenting area down the south side of the mountain a little ways. Well worth going there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's like 2.4 miles from Neel to the top of Blood Mt and a good climb. At least a 2 hour climb for the average hiker.

Blood Mountain is also a poor place to spend the night. The stone building is very cold and no water near-by. If it's raining or snowing it blows in the open windows. There is a tenting area down the south side of the mountain a little ways. Well worth going there.
    My wife and I camped there and it was great.

First night for us was simply finding a reasonably clear spot in the woods then setting up camp. One hammock, one tent. It wasn't bad at all.

++ New Posts ++