WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Garfield tent site

Looking for some info on Garfield tent site. Thinking about camping up there next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't tell you much about the site except bring a shovel if you want to find one of the platforms. There's a lot of snow up there. You will need snowshoes to get there for sure and pray somebody else broke trail recently. Plus it's gonna be wicked cold. They are calling for temps even lower then the ones this week. You can expect -10 to -20 degree air temps at night and wind chills off the chart if the wind is blowing - and it always is. I hope your geared up for extreme artic conditions - you will have them for sure.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks slogoen. Was hoping to hear from you. We were thinking of going up there for somewhere different but maybe we will stay lower around osgood tent site. I think the bluff to be more specific as we are formiliar with the area and forecasted temps.

Journal Entries
    Images

If you get “cold feet” on your drive up, or need a place to recover, this place is great:

http://notchhostel.com/

If you just want to FYBO, (freeze your butt off) the Rattle river shelter is a good place to go. Easy 2.5 mile snowshoe in and a fire pit in front of the shelter for something to do. You'll still need the shovel to find the fire pit. Bring some rope or strapping to bundle up wood and drag to the shelter. A small saw would help too. Plus the parking lot should be plowed out.

Personally, I'd wait a few weeks and hope it warms up some. This last week has been brutal and looks like it will stay that way for at least another week.

Valley Way Tentsite is an option, too. Not too far from treeline if you want to skip up to Madison Spring Hut to take in views.

I think valley way would be to high. Possibly going to wait, possibly won’t. Thinking the bluff might be best as we can get above treeline if time/weather permits or go into the wilderness for a bit and hike back.

Plus I think anything on the north side of the presidential range is going to be far worse with this cold coming from the north

Its going to be damn cold no matter which side of the mountain you are on.

Anyone been up here latley? Have any info on the area

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    You might get better info from Views from the top web site or other White Mt specific forums.

Up here by Adams and Madison, we just got a few inches of powder last night on top of the hard packed and icy trails. Your probably going to need both crampons and snowshoes. My driveway is still covered with ice, despite all the salt and sand I've put on it.

I can't imagine the conditions are any better in the Pemi, maybe worse. There might have been more snow down there from the coastal storm a few days ago which didn't make it up this way. Avalanche danger will be in places with new snow on top of the hard ice layer.

It's going to be another bitter cold weekend with sub zero air temps tonight and probably tomorrow too. Wind chill is already -20 in the valley here.

Some of the trails were chewed up during the thaw by people bare booting it and postholeing, which then froze in place. Not sure if enough snow has come since to fill in all the holes. It's been a bad year for winter hiking conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    I was in the Pemi friday and saturday. As slo' mentioned, a few inches of powder on top of a thin crust. At lower elevation, there was a good 1 to 1.5 ft of snow off trail. I bare booted friday night with the onset of frigied temps until off trail. Used snowshoes from then on until half way down the lincoln woods trail on way out. I would not plan on higher elevation/angle without crampons.

Town of Lincoln was pouring with skiers/tourists. I imagine conditions are good at the resorts if that is your thing.

Hopefully more snow soon to come

We had a good trip. Crampons would of helped on the Ridgeline but snowshoes did the trick.

Images

Garfield SOBO was one of my hardest miles on the AT. I hate that mountain. ☺

Yea man it’s steep up there

++ New Posts ++