WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Route Drawing App?

Not sure this is completely related but perhaps someone here knows of a good (iPhone) app that will allow you to draw routes on maps (esp Google maps) with unlimited points (Google maps allows something like 8) and print out or save. Being able to draw on it and write notes would definitely be a plus.
    Been trying to do a search but not sure I am actually getting what I want in my search.

You probably need something like Garmin's "base camp" program for Desktop PCs. It allows you to draw a route and generate the waypoint list. I think doing that on a phone with it's small screen would be a real pain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You probably need something like Garmin's "base camp" program for Desktop PCs. It allows you to draw a route and generate the waypoint list. I think doing that on a phone with it's small screen would be a real pain.
    Good point re: the phone, the iPad might work well though. I'll take a look at this one though.

For hiking, I like Gaia. There’s also Maps 3D, but I’m not sure you can print from it.
    Another one I’ve used is View Ranger, but their payment system is a little squirrelly.

Wanted to say, I had a chance to download/check out "Basecamp". It looks really good, exactly what I was looking for. And yes, totally agree that drawing on a map is really not something I want to do on an iPhone.

yeah, something google should work on for sure....
    I was playing around with some what ifs a while back, and their walking maps are close but not quite ready for prime time. In addition to the lack of sufficient way points, it would often choose routes along trail but then for what seemed like no reason would flip to road walking that wasn't necessarily short cuts.

I use Gaia and Caltopo, but I think you need to create the maps on a desktop and then use them on a mobile. I also have Basecamp, but prefer Gaia and Caltopo. Gaia is easy to use, but I find the folder organization to be non-intuitive, but that's just me. The learning curve on Caltopo is steeper, but its a powerful app. The nicest thing about Caltopo is that it can create georeferenced PDF maps with routes and waypoints that can be loaded into Avenza Maps on an iPhone or Android. Avenza will show real-time position and can record tracks and waypoints. The free version of Avenza allows something like 3 personal (e.g., not purchased from the Avenza map store) maps. There is also a $30/yr option that allows unlimited personal maps (not to be confused with the $130 Avenza Pro), but you can avoid this by keeping your Caltopo maps in Dropbox and just pull them into Avenza and as you need them.

I do all my routes on CalTopo and print. However you can Export to a .kml file and then import to Google Maps or something similar.

I realize this is not an app but if you have access to a laptop/desktop I think it is the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    yeah, something google should work on for sure....
    I was playing around with some what ifs a while back, and their walking maps are close but not quite ready for prime time. In addition to the lack of sufficient way points, it would often choose routes along trail but then for what seemed like no reason would flip to road walking that wasn't necessarily short cuts.

Seems to be an easy enough solution if they wanted to do it. Eliminate the 8 points and allow the user to select the route. Then allow there to be print option. (I can easily print using a screen shot but it saves to gif not jpg.) There would be other options to make it more user friendly but perhaps they have no "road warriors" or hikers as developers?

Re: Caltopo, looks like something I should look at. Thanks for all the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    Re: Caltopo, looks like something I should look at. Thanks for all the comments.
    It has a bit of a learning curve but they do give good tutorials. They have made some good improvements since I started using it, especially if using already mapped trails...quick and easy line adding.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've kinda been wantign to play around with this stuff but didn't know where to start.

I need to look around more at Caltopo. Doesn't look quite as helpful for me, but as you say learning curve is high. Also I am, right now, wanting to write up a complicated road trip type map, so think the Basecamp one is more applicable.

++ New Posts ++