WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Summer beanie for large head

I need a lightweight beanie for warm weather hiking.

I prefer Merino wool to fleece.

Looking for something less than an ounce.

Truth is it's going to ride in my pack most of the time. I like to keep a beanie in my pack no matter how hot it gets but I don't need my 2.5oz Woolrich watch cap.

However, I've got a large head. And the running type beanies I have found in store are too tight. They'll give me a headache.

Anyone recommend a brand or particular beanie that's looser fitting.

Green and gray are my favorite colors as well

Fast fox

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It's not merino but try something like "Headsweats". I use these both for hiking and cycling; when I'm in the heat these help keep the sweat outa my eyes.

I refer to those as "man-sized" hats/caps. I wear a 7 7/8 or an 8, depending upon manufacturer, so does my son.

One size does NOT fit all.

Black rock gear has a new wool beanie. Pricey but comes in sizes....sold out at the moment.
    I really like my BRG down beanie.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I need a lightweight beanie for warm weather hiking.

I prefer Merino wool to fleece.

Looking for something less than an ounce.

Truth is it's going to ride in my pack most of the time. I like to keep a beanie in my pack no matter how hot it gets but I don't need my 2.5oz Woolrich watch cap.

However, I've got a large head. And the running type beanies I have found in store are too tight. They'll give me a headache.

Anyone recommend a brand or particular beanie that's looser fitting.

Green and gray are my favorite colors as well

Fast fox

A UL/LW Buff can work in those conditions. I like combining it with an UL/LW visor in summer. Add shades into the mix I'm good to go. Buff can be a bandanna, beanie, face mask for beach/desert hiking, and switched to trap or release more heat in the head area depening on changing conditions. I filter water with mine as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    A UL/LW Buff can work in those conditions. I like combining it with an UL/LW visor in summer. Add shades into the mix I'm good to go. Buff can be a bandanna, beanie, face mask for beach/desert hiking, and switched to trap or release more heat in the head area depening on changing conditions. I filter water with mine as well.

Hmm... I've got a lw merino buff floating around. I haven't experimented with buffs enough. I'll have to give that a shot. Does seem like it would be multipurpose for hiking in in warm weather and then provide a little insulation for the head if it gets a little cold at night.

I always kinda was skeptical of buffs. The whole "wear it 20 different ways thing"

But now that you bring up some real hiking applications, I can see it being useful.

Any problems hiking in one all day then using it as a cap at night?

Quote Originally Posted by LAF View Post
    It's not merino but try something like "Headsweats". I use these both for hiking and cycling; when I'm in the heat these help keep the sweat outa my eyes.
    I'm looking for something to keep in the pack as insulation at night. Just in case the temps dip a little bit. Not necessarily for hiking in.

I second Dogwood on the buff. You may not be able to wear it 20 different ways effectively, but I regularly wear them about 4 ways effectively. For a beanie, turn inside out, double over, throw in a twist. Works great I do it all the time.

Hmm... I've got a lw merino buff floating around. I haven't experimented with buffs enough. I'll have to give that a shot. Does seem like it would be multipurpose for hiking in in warm weather and then provide a little insulation for the head if it gets a little cold at night.

I always kinda was skeptical of buffs. The whole "wear it 20 different ways thing"

But now that you bring up some real hiking applications, I can see it being useful.

Any problems hiking in one all day then using it as a cap at night?

I thought the same. Buffs were a passing fad or for "girls." Now I have two. One heavier wt and longer for winter where it can be used like a face mask, neck gaiter, and combined with other accessories or apparel features (hoods, beanies,etc) and a summer one.

Like I said in summer I might use the summer wt Buff with a visor. Visor has a inside band for absorbing some sweat too. On hot hikes or where dust and sand are being blown around much prefer the mix and match diversity of the visor, Buff, and shades. Look like I'm about to rob the Wells Fargo though.

I like large brained better .

I have a Minus 33 Ridge cuff beanie I really like. It's kinda loose fitting on my head, so probably fit yours just fine.

RE: Buffs. I agree with the posts above, much like Crocs, I made fun of my buddies that wore Crocs and thought the "headband" buffs were for the ladies. I regularly use both now and use a buff, or mostly the knockoff Salt Armor ones in warm and cold weather when fishing, hiking, driving the Land Cruiser topless, etc. They are very versatile and the wife and kids use them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I have a Minus 33 Ridge cuff beanie I really like. It's kinda loose fitting on my head, so probably fit yours just fine.
    I was looking at those. Listed weight is 2.7ounces though. Doesn't seem accurate.

Input?

As soon as I find it again, I’ll weigh it. Its what I sleep in in the Summer. Keeps my Noggin warm enough without being too hot. 2.7 ounces seems about right.

Images

The wool Buff is pretty sweet.

If you know someone who knits, they could make you a watch cap or a beanie from really nice superwash wool sock yarn in whatever color you like. I have several and they are great. Plenty of free patterns online and it can be made to fit. Or this might be the time to learn to knit...
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I was looking at those. Listed weight is 2.7ounces though. Doesn't seem accurate.

Input?

I found it. Weighs 2.08 ounces. Its plenty stretchy even after being washed and dried several times

++ New Posts ++