WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Monson South to Rangely

I am hoping to be back on the trail June 2018, recovering from back surgery, other issues as well, only have 200 miles left to complete my section hike. (Wildcat Mtn to Monson then Katahdin)

HOW IS THE FOOT TREAD / TRAIL FROM MONSON TO RANGELY HIKING SOBO?

The elevation map is relatively flat, input please.

I think you may be looking at the wrong map profiles. The hike out of Monson is quite pleasant but eventually you start hitting mountains like Bald and Pleasant Pond. Then you have an easy stretch across the Arnold Ponds but once you cross Flagstaff Lake there are some significant profile changes. The climb up Little Bigleow/Bigelow is sustained significant climb and at some point the trail is basically paved with rocks. It pretty well stays that way until you come down off the ridge into Stratton. The hike up and over the Crockers is a bit less bony. The hike up from Caribou Valley road has some very steep stretches that gets rocky at the top. The run from Sugarloaf to Saddleback Junior is mostly woods walks but from there to RT 4 is sustained section of pretty much rock hopping until you come down from Saddleback.

Train maintainers really dont have a lot of options due to soils in Maine but pave the trails with rocks, in many areas its either that or mud.

Where did you get the idea thats its flat? Some of the steepest sections of the AT are between Rangely and Monson. Wildcat Mountain to Monson is the hardest, most difficult section of the AT. There are sections within that area that are relatively easy, but overall, its a brutal part of the trail to hike.

From Gorham to Gentian pond is fairly easy. From Gentian Pond to North of Flagstaff Lake is unrelenting ups and downs, rock scrambles, stream crossings and mud. Mud so black and gooey that its stains your feet for days. You will have rock slabs to climb so steep that standing is nearly impossible. You will need to use your legs, feet, arms and hands to pull you up to summit views so breathtakingly beautiful that it almost makes it worth it, or cold, rainy cloud covered summits that will make you hating life, cursing God, the mud, and the clouds of biting, swarming buzzing insects that will torment you so sleep is impossible.

It will be the time of your life. Enjoy

Images

I am looking at the AT Guide, it appears relatively flat from Monson south to a bump at Moxie Bald then Pleasant Pond, then Little Bigelow into the nasty zone. 60 Miles of 100 that from the profile map does not appear to be too up & down.

My issue is that I want to have a good next hike and not crush my spine, I know that Wildcat to Rangley will be painful, need to get this 100 miles behind me. Sure wish that I had completed this 200 miles 5+ years ago

Ironically, the hardest for last on this incredible journey - 2006 to 2018 through some really hard life experiences.

Images

Great feedback, just what I was after, thanks!

I have no option here, need to do Monson South next and see how my body responds. Wildcat North no-way for next jaunt into the woods

If you have to do it you definitely are doing it in the right direction. I would suggest a zero day at the Maine Huts and Trails hut on Flagstaff lake to get rested up prior to the Bigelows. Its not that far off the AT. I am not sure if you could send a bounce box to them but might be worth giving a call.

Moxie bald and Pleasant pond mountain are pretty serious bumps. All that relatively level trail you see in between is typically boggy with a lot of exposed roots. Thru hikers bitch about the roots in Maine almost as much as the rocks in PA. Don't under estimate this section.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

IMHO Pleasant Pond Mountain is underrated.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Moxie bald and Pleasant pond mountain are pretty serious bumps. All that relatively level trail you see in between is typically boggy with a lot of exposed roots. Thru hikers bitch about the roots in Maine almost as much as the rocks in PA. Don't under estimate this section.
    yet as far as Maine goes its as easy as it gets here...until you hit bigelow then its on.

Images

SOBO is the way to go - especially if you are recovering from back surgery. The footing has been summed-up quite nicely, but "up & down and roots & rocks" is the best way to describe the trail in this section. That little line through the page can be a bit misleading. It's not so much the elevation change, as it is the elevation change and the footing.

However, the good news is that it is still just "one foot in front of the other..." Build some extra time in your plans in case you find you need to take things at a slower pace. Maine is a gorgeous state, if you find you need to slow things down a bit.

Here’s a little flat trail south Monson
    to cheer you up. Actually quite a few miles like this until Moxie Bald Mtn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Here’s a little flat trail south Monson
    to cheer you up. Actually quite a few miles like this until Moxie Bald Mtn.

Thats about as good as it gets in ME. In the HMW, there is a long stretch like that following, I think, Rainbow River. It was heavenly. Moxie Bald is a nice little mountain. Pleasant Pond Mountain was a serious pain. Great views, though, a little bit of ledge and slab, but not too bad. From Caratunk to Flagstaff Lake, can be a lot of wet trail, depending on the rainfall. It was a river when I did that section this Summer, but it was after 5 inches of rain the night before, so it was expected. Floating bog bridges was a real treat to see.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Thats about as good as it gets in ME. In the HMW, there is a long stretch like that following, I think, Rainbow River. It was heavenly. Moxie Bald is a nice little mountain. Pleasant Pond Mountain was a serious pain. Great views, though, a little bit of ledge and slab, but not too bad. From Caratunk to Flagstaff Lake, can be a lot of wet trail, depending on the rainfall. It was a river when I did that section this Summer, but it was after 5 inches of rain the night before, so it was expected. Floating bog bridges was a real treat to see.
    Yes. Moxie Bald is a gorgeous mountain. In the HMW south of nahmakanta campsite to Cooper brook falls, real easy walking IMO. Enjoy it while you can

Images

Thanks for the pics, will hang them by the treadmill when I workout so as to have that positive image of the easy parts.........haha

I sure wish that I had completed this 200 mile stretch years ago, oh well.

BUGS?

Is June 21st too early, should I wait until mid July?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    I sure wish that I had completed this 200 mile stretch years ago, oh well.BUGS?Is June 21st too early, should I wait until mid July?
    Usually they are down to manageable numbers by late June. Or they can be at their peak. It really depends on the type of spring we have. We'll just have to wait and see. Winter might turn off as quick as it turned on this year. We'll have to see if that happens in April or May and how deep the snow pack is when it happens. If current patterns continue, it could be a really deep snow pack this season.

Mid July tends to be on the hot, humid and hazy side with a good chance of afternoon or evening thundershowers. Summits are often in the clouds as the cool rock condenses the moisture out of the air. Mid August is when things start to improve again.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If your goal is to avoid bugs and rain, Mid July to September is pretty good, although it’s on the warm side. Its also about the beginning of the nobo bubble, so shelter space will be at a premium, if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Thanks for the pics, will hang them by the treadmill when I workout so as to have that positive image of the easy parts.........haha

I sure wish that I had completed this 200 mile stretch years ago, oh well.

BUGS?

Is June 21st too early, should I wait until mid July?
    Yes positive images .

If I had a choice I would choose mid July.

Yup, too early wait until July

Images

Although I don't love hiking in the heat, also means lighter sleeping bag, clothes, etc. I am NOT real excited about battling nasty bugs, thanks for the intel, penciling in alternate dates for July

++ New Posts ++