WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My Gregory Baltoro started squeaking on my last trip. Wasn't a load issue, only 26 lbs when I left but on day two, something on the left side was squeaking and I couldn't get it to do it with the pack off.

Brand new 2017 Exos 58 medium, started squeaking while I put it on....it does settle in after a bit but far from as quiet as either my old Stratos or new Levity. This was with me comparing them with identical loads, placed the same way for the Levity/Exos...the Stratos requires hanging several items outside due to its small volume.

I just section hiked with my new 2017 Exos size 58 Large with 28 pounds with food and water. It had an extremely annoying squeak. I thought it was coming from the upper part of the pack frame stays and spent a day and 1/2 of my hike, walking, adjusting, tightening etc and couldn't get it to go away. In fact it got louder on uphills and quieter on downhills, made no sense. I finally figured out it was coming from the bottom end of the frame stays. Compressing, curving the pack stays that run across the bottom at the belt line eliminated the squeak completely. Now I walk in silence, so I can sneak up on the Hodags.

Sorry, but what do you think about solar backpacks (for instance, https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-solar-backpacks/), are there better?

Seems like its just extra weight that, once integrated into the pack, it becomes something you can't leave behind even if you wanted to. I think there are a few portable solar panels that are lighter. Unless your going to be out a very long time or acclimating at Everest base camp where there is no electricity, this is really just extra weight.

I would opt for an extra 10000 mAh battery and judicious use of Airplane mode.

My Osprey Ariel did not squeak, but my Aura AG does. It doesn’t squeak continuously, or very loud, but I do hear it sometimes.

My Aura doesn't squeak. I hear an occasional squeak-like sound but I don't think it's the Aura or it would do it more often or consistently. I have no idea about my Exos as I haven't used it...it is my back-up pack and I bought the 2017 model before it wasn't available anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Now I walk in silence, so I can sneak up on the Hodags.
    Hodags! What a great blast from the past!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    I just section hiked with my new 2017 Exos size 58 Large with 28 pounds with food and water. It had an extremely annoying squeak. I thought it was coming from the upper part of the pack frame stays and spent a day and 1/2 of my hike, walking, adjusting, tightening etc and couldn't get it to go away. In fact it got louder on uphills and quieter on downhills, made no sense. I finally figured out it was coming from the bottom end of the frame stays. Compressing, curving the pack stays that run across the bottom at the belt line eliminated the squeak completely. Now I walk in silence, so I can sneak up on the Hodags.
    Neat. That explains why I've never heard the squeak.

Quote Originally Posted by walkinmyshoes View Post
    Sorry, but what do you think about solar backpacks (for instance, https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-solar-backpacks/), are there better?
    The key phrase there is "open sky," which there isn't a whole bunch of on the AT.

Images

I finally sprayed silicon spray at every conceivable place I could find that might squeek. No discoloration and... no more squeeking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++