WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Osprey backpacks

I wonder if Ospreys will finally have a solution to their very noisy Backpacks for 2018.

I hardly hear it, but there is a little squeaking. If I think about it I hear it, but it does not bother me that much. I wonder if others hear it? I have backpacked with my brother who is 65. Not sure his hearing is any better than mine so perhaps that is why he has not said anything. I do have ear plugs for use at night with other noises and no one has asked for a set while hiking nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post
    I wonder if Ospreys will finally have a solution to their very noisy Backpacks for 2018.
    Which models are you talking about?
    I spent several days on the trail in September with a person who had an Atmos I think. Definitely an Osprey pack. No noise that I recall.
    Wayne

I had a 2016 atmos ag65 and the squeeking was awful, tried everything recommended and couldn’t get rid of it. Lots of feedback that this is a common issue. Returned mine to REI and got a lighter and quiter pack.

The pack my friend had was the Atmos. Not the AG version.
    Wayne

Images

I've owned seven Osprey backpacks (two Aethers, 65 and 85 liter, something like that, 1 atmos, 1 exos, 2 hornets) , and my wife almost that many, collectively thousands of hiker-miles on them, and I believe the only one that squeaks, barely audible, is the Exos when it's overloaded. Sounds like user error to me (overloading).

Interesting, I have an Exos 58 and have no noise from it, perhaps it is/was a weight issue...are you at the upper limit of the bag? I am intentionally heavy, around 30lbs, as I prep for my thru-hike, but I think 35-40lbs would begin to push it.
    Please view YouTube channel “Thru-hiking with Scars” for updates on my 2018 Charity AT Thru-hike, supporting the Cancer Research Institute

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I've owned seven Osprey backpacks (two Aethers, 65 and 85 liter, something like that, 1 atmos, 1 exos, 2 hornets) , and my wife almost that many, collectively thousands of hiker-miles on them, and I believe the only one that squeaks, barely audible, is the Exos when it's overloaded. Sounds like user error to me (overloading).
    Nope. Well documented issue experienced by many people. Mine was always loaded less than 30 lbs. It's the frame stays rubbing on the pack material.

I had an Osprey Exos and it squeaked on occasion. My pack weight ranged from 20-30 pounds. The frame stays also rubbed holes in the webbing material that is supposed to keep the back off your back and ended up digging into my hips. Osprey says the load range for the Exos is 20-40 lbs. My Atmos65 has no squeak problem.
    P7300288.JPG
    More walking, less talking.

Default Osprey backpacks

I had been looking at the Volt. Anyone have any thoughts about it? It seems to me that it doesn't matter what brand of pack it is thay all can make noise at times. I have noticed that you can minimize that by how you load, weight, and pack adjustment.

Real world problems

I have the Volt 60. Took it on a 55 loop hike this summer in the Adirondacks loaded with 4 days of food. Carried well and no squeaky noises.

That being said I wouldn't buy it again. I would go up to an Atmos if I was looking for a 4 pound pack. The Volt has the 4lb weight but without the better suspension, it's harder to pack due to a very narrow top opening, top lid is not easily removable and my bear can (BV500) won't fit horizontally. The Amtmos is a little bit heavier and more $ but a much better choice in my opinion.

I only really noticed the noise when I was two months in and already a bit ill tempered.
    I plan to hike the Benton Mackaye Trail in the next decade or so, to make up for what I missed while cranky in the Smokies.

I have an Aether AG that I use if I am packing a little heavy...I haven't heard any squeeking......

I'll be upset if my old Exos58 squeaks or wears through, I don't want them replacing it with one of the new fancy ones.

I've got a Manta day pack that had a little squeak at first and an Atmos that appears to be silent. My son also has an Atmos, haven't asked him about noise.

Default Osprey backpacks

I like my pack noisy. Scares away the bears
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

-

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Real world problems
    first world problem

I brought a redesigned new Aether AG 70 last summer from REI. I was carrying around 30 lb and the pack was squeaky all the time. It's just as terrible as my Exos 58.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

My Exos 48 bought in 2015 is still squeak free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++