WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default hip belt pocket zippers....

Are stuck shut. I use the pack for training, but haven't actually been backpacking for a couple of years. So, I haven't opened the pockets in a long time, and I guess the dust from all those training hikes has locked them up.
    Before I tried some wd-40, I wanted to check with you guys....

maybe try a few drops of some kind of light cooking oil or something first if the wd-40 seems like chemicals and stuff, and you could easily limit a few drops by hand.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Try rubbing a bar of hand soap on the zippers.

Some light machine oil, or gun oil, might work.

got it. used a little dab of Vaseline. was still very difficult to get it going.
    guess the lesson is to keep working those zippers

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Rather than soap, I'd suggest dragging a candle across the opened zipper teeth. More inert than soap.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

When I was young the trick was to rub the lead/graphite end of a pencil on it. Sideways, like drawing shades. One can also purchase powdered graphite to have a similar effect.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    When I was young the trick was to rub the lead/graphite end of a pencil on it. Sideways, like drawing shades. One can also purchase powdered graphite to have a similar effect.
    I'm sure this would work great. We use powdered graphite and oil mix to exercise gate valves.

I would not recommend any oils (natural or otherwise) unless you have exhausted all the simple tricks. Washing the pack can sometimes loosen accumulated zipper crud enough to keep wiggling at the zipper (some call it "worrying") and one. Soaking the pockets in warm water for a while can sometimes unlock them. I have gone as far as using pliers, one to securely hold the zippers "tape", the other to hold the slider handle and worry it open using a bit more force than fingers would provide. There could be something stuck in the zipper teeth so look carefully at each closed section for any evidence there is a bit of fabric locked into the zipper that could be the problem. I have used sewing needles to loosen up fabrics enough to allow the slider some movement, once that starts its a game of time. Good news is patience typically prevails in this endeavor. Good luck!

thanks for all the suggestions. I finally got em open with good ole vaseline

Silicone spray works.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    thanks for all the suggestions. I finally got em open with good ole vaseline
    Sometimes it's just salt residue from sweating and plain ol' water will work. I have a Nathan trail running pack and this happens very frequently.

++ New Posts ++