WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: JMT Volcanos ?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default JMT Volcanos ?

I was looking at something in Google Earth today and noticed something interesting along the JMT.

As you climb out of Red's heading SOBO, you pass between to mountain tops that look like tiny volcano cones. Now this be just an interesting weathering pattern... after all if these were old dormant volcano cones, I would have expected that they would have been dormant long enough that they would be much more warn down. After all, there is a spot not far away named "Volcanic Knob" that doesn't look a thing like a volcano cone.

The only thing I could find with a quick Google search was a statement that the whole area around Mammoth is volcanic.

Curios if anyone else had any information on this interesting formation.
    The coordinates for one of the two formations is at 37º35'17.08"N 119º3'33.10"W.

Don't know about the mountain tops you reference, but the Devil's Postpile is nearby, definitely created by cooling volcanic basalt.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Well the town of Mammoth Lakes is build an active volcano. There are several hot springs just outside of town and at least one Hot Guizer. There is a hot reason why the boiling hot water is coming out of the ground!

Those are the "Red Cones". There are two of them and the JMT passes between them. It's said to be an easy cross country hike to the top of either, although I've never climbed up one.

Along the PCT you'll experience larger volcanoes including a larger cinder cone in Lassen NP not terribly far off the PCT. PCTers get a good shot of Mt St Helens too.

Hiked up one I think you're referring to off the JMT. It was rather loose cinders with a steep rise. Meh. The Minarets, YNP's Unicorn, etc are much nicer.

Images

When you hike along the edge of the Red Cone you definitely are aware of its volcanic origins. I actually found the hiking there rather tiring because the trail has a lot of sandy pumice along there, sort of like walking at the beach.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I wish I spent more time exploring the Red Cones, didn't know you could scale them. Next time!
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++