WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: To all ULers:

Default To all ULers:

What is the highest R value lowest wt 20-22" X about 65-72" CCF pad? Don't want 1/2" thickness. Want to be able to roll and fold the pad.

I have to find that out first before I can analyze it from a wt, bulk, and warmth perspective if it's worth it to supplement a NeoAir Xlite Woman's R 3.9 20"x67" with the CCF pad and a .7 oz mylar sheet or just go with an Xtherm purchase with the mylar.

Thx for your input.

Easily good down to at least -10°F for me, although I don't know the R value: Cut-down Xtherm Max 71"x25" (20.4oz) combined with a 3/8" CCF 71"x23" (7.5oz) on top of the Xtherm.

I tested with a GG thinlight (1/8" CCF) and it wasn't enough for me. A Ridgerest Sol was too much insulation for me, thankfully, way too bulky and weighs nearly a pound. Goldilocks hard a work.

However, in an extreme situation where I'm going to be out a long way from a trail head, the Ridgerest might be taken because it would get me through the night if the Xtherm sprang a leak.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-21-2017 at 08:20.

Images

Not that I'm a true ULer (more like a VLer), but I echo cmoulder on the 3/8" pad along with an xlite (I dont even need the higher R xtherm) is good down to negative temps on bare frozen ground. I've cut my 3/8 pad down to 60", don't seem to need that extra 12 down at the feet, though I might put an articla of clothing down there in frigid temps. I think the 3/8 thick 60" long pad is right about 5 ounces, good insurance against a failure of the blowup pad and still have some R and softness to sleep on. I cannot remember where I bought it, had it for 5-6 years or so. I also trim the corners up high around my head.

I do also carry a 3/16 (measured) inch thick pad in the summer, I think about 2.5 ounces, for protection of my blowup pad and also makes a nice nap-pad along the trail mid-day.

Just what I was looking for. THX to both of you. I wanted some confirmation on what I too was already thinking.

I have a beat up 1/8" CCF pad cut down for under a Neo Xlite but am having problems finding a new 3/8" to buy. The GG 1/4" CCF pad is double wide for hammocking. Don't want to drop $50+ for what amounts to two pads about 19.5" x 59.25". I hear you Rob but I'm tall at 6'4" and this is for supplementing NeoXlite Short(47" long w/ 3.2 R value) and the NeoXlite womans(67" long w/ a higher R Value at 3.9 which I switch to deeper into the shoulder seasons and fairer winter temps). I want a little longer than 59.25" for this reason at those times.

I still would like to see noted some CCF pad R values.

I like the two of you are from cold climes getting out in such conditions and note similar pad set ups. THX again.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Easily good down to at least -10°F for me, although I don't know the R value: Cut-down Xtherm Max 71"x25" (20.4oz) combined with a 3/8" CCF 71"x23" (7.5oz) on top of the Xtherm.

I tested with a GG thinlight (1/8" CCF) and it wasn't enough for me. A Ridgerest Sol was too much insulation for me, thankfully, way too bulky and weighs nearly a pound. Goldilocks hard a work.

However, in an extreme situation where I'm going to be out a long way from a trail head, the Ridgerest might be taken because it would get me through the night if the Xtherm sprang a leak.

You might try a cheapo mylar reflective ground cloth at about .5-.7 oz under a Xlite or Xtherm with a 1/8" foam on top. Might save some wt and get the warmth you need. That's what I do under an open tarp or inside a floorless MLD Solomid XL or DuoMid XL.

Garlic
    Images

Have you tried a piece of Reflectix? It only adds R1.1 per layer, but the mylar affects radiation as well.

Paired with a Z-rest, it works well for me in single F digits on both bare ground and snow. The price is right, and I've used the rest of the roll on the home heating projects for which it was intended. I use a full-length piece under my 3/4 length CCF.

++ New Posts ++