WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Eagle Rock Loop, Arkansas New Years weekend?

Been wanting to do ERL near Langley, Arkansas. Was told this time of year is best due to number of river crossings and the water being lower.
    I was thinking the weekend of New Years, looking like mid to high 20s for the low and snow.. Was hoping for better conditions but I've got the gear and experience to where I still feel comfortable going. Plus still a good bit out that forecast may change.
    My main concern is river crossings, trying to think of the best way to go about it. Cold is fine, wet is fine...cold and wet is dangerous.
    I'm thinking pack 2 big contractor trash bags to use as make-shift waders for the crossings?

Mainly looking for ideas to help stay dry with crossings and also if there's any major oversight I may be making planning to still go with the cooler temps.

Thanks!
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Check the gauges. Call the rangers. The second major system in the last week to 10 days is dumping rain as I type.
    Be safe!
    Wayne

Just did ERL this past weekend. Was able to rock hop or use tree's on all but two crossings. Both of those were calf deep. I used trail runners and just rolled through and kept hiking. Some of the guys in our group switched to water shoes and put their dry socks and shoes back on after crossing. I did purposely set up the trip so that we didn't do the wet crossings until close to the end. Overall, they were a non issue.

Really enjoyed the trip overall, can't believe we waiting this long to get up there.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Just did ERL this past weekend. Was able to rock hop or use tree's on all but two crossings. Both of those were calf deep. I used trail runners and just rolled through and kept hiking. Some of the guys in our group switched to water shoes and put their dry socks and shoes back on after crossing. I did purposely set up the trip so that we didn't do the wet crossings until close to the end. Overall, they were a non issue.

Really enjoyed the trip overall, can't believe we waiting this long to get up there.
    Thanks! Trail runners and socks off then water shoes and dry off may be the ticket. Normally I'd do your method but looking to cold for that.
    Continuing to monitor, forecasted lows for temps have dropped for 2 of the days to 11 and 14... coldest I've done with my gear is 23 in the smokies,so if that remains I will have to hold off on this trip. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16

Check this link
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=07360200

The Rule of Thumb is, over 4.5 feet on the Gage Level chart, don't go. There are two wide crossings of the Little Mo that are the concern. One is usually wide and like calf deep. The other, is not as wide, so deeper and the water flows faster. There are lots of other crossings where the river isn't as wide. Plus lots of rock hops over the Viles Branch.
    Given the drought this area has been in, just watch the levels.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by jj dont play View Post
    Thanks! Trail runners and socks off then water shoes and dry off may be the ticket. Normally I'd do your method but looking to cold for that.
    Continuing to monitor, forecasted lows for temps have dropped for 2 of the days to 11 and 14... coldest I've done with my gear is 23 in the smokies,so if that remains I will have to hold off on this trip. Fingers crossed

Too cold for me! I'd definitely have dry clothing in reserve for below freezing.

Also, download Guthooks app to your smart phone. Then purchase the $4.99 online map of the ERL. Shows a lot more information about existing camping spots, distance to next whatever....
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Also, download Guthooks app to your smart phone. Then purchase the $4.99 online map of the ERL. Shows a lot more information about existing camping spots, distance to next whatever....
    Agreed. I used the guthook app and liked it. There were tons of campsites not shown on the app and the app also didn't show many of the water sources but overall its worth it for navigation and checking to see how much higher to the top of the f'in climb.

Will do! Used Guthook for my AT thru hike and loved it..didn't know the ERL was on there! Thanks!

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16

I'd check if the Albert Pike Rec Area is open.

Haven't done this entire loop but from what Ive heard and seen it's a great yr round option for a weekend or 3 dayer. So many states with so much great hiking opps beyond just the AT or east coast. Arkansas is one of those states!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'd check if the Albert Pike Rec Area is open.

Haven't done this entire loop but from what Ive heard and seen it's a great yr round option for a weekend or 3 dayer. So many states with so much great hiking opps beyond just the AT or east coast. Arkansas is one of those states!
    sort of depends on your definition of "open". It and the Little Mo are both Day-Use only, no overnight parking inside the gates. Gates locked at night. However you can park at about 5 other places around the loop. The restroom at Albert Pike (flush toilets, sinks, two showers in the men's room), I believe they shut and lock that from maybe October thru the spring. There are water outlets at those old camping areas, but I don't know if those are left on when they lock the building. There are only two other pit toilets. Little Mo Day use and the Winding stair parking area (not far from Albert Pike).

Thx. Might be heading through Arkansas this winter doing the loop as an extended 3 day lollipop. When I was in Mena doing the Ouachita and OHTrails this loop was recommended by locals including Tim Ernst.

sort of depends on your definition of "open". It and the Little Mo are both Day-Use only, no overnight parking inside the gates. Gates locked at night. However you can park at about 5 other places around the loop. The restroom at Albert Pike (flush toilets, sinks, two showers in the men's room), I believe they shut and lock that from maybe October thru the spring. There are water outlets at those old camping areas, but I don't know if those are left on when they lock the building. There are only two other pit toilets. Little Mo Day use and the Winding stair parking area (not far from Albert Pike).
    Albert Pike restrooms were locked last weekend...

Based on current radar (8:13 pm 12/22/17), there are no drought conditions in Arkansas at this time.
    Wayne

I just remembered this web page. Perhaps it will help.
    http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Eagle%20Rock.html
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Based on current radar (8:13 pm 12/22/17), there are no drought conditions in Arkansas at this time.
    Wayne
    Yeah, it rained nearly every day this week.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

++ New Posts ++