WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: sleeping bags

Default sleeping bags

I'm planning a 2019 SOBO attempt ASAP when the Mt. opens and still working on finalizing gear. I am looking at Outdoor Vitals OV-Light or Mountain Hardware's Bozeman or Hotbed. All three are in the 0° to 15°F range. I do plan on using a Thermo liner. I know there are better pics out there but these are in my price range and around 3lbs w/out liner. Thay also compress to half the size I'm using now and 1-2lbs lighter. Also think I can get rid of my poncho liner by switching to the better bag. Does anyone have an opinion or used either bag? Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Also if on a tight budget you might want to check this out

http://frugalhiker.blogspot.com/sear...%20%2410%20USD

By the time the mountain opens, all you'll need is a 30 degree bag. After all, it will be the end of May or the beginning of June, but never sooner then May 15th.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    Also if on a tight budget you might want to check this out

http://frugalhiker.blogspot.com/sear...%20%2410%20USD
    Thanks for the info no some other bags. I was hopping to stay away from down due to moisture on the trail. I can live with a 3lb bag if you think weigth is the problem. Should cut my cold weather sleeping system by almost half, my present bag really sucks.

Thanks, I have considered that. My thought was that I'm a cold sleeper and most temp. ratings are off by about 10-15deg. off. In that a 0 or 15deg bag would work a both ends with a thrmo liner. I had planed to use the liner and poncho liner when it worms up. I am open to suggestions, I cant afford to buy new gear latter on the trail unless its to replace a broken stove, pole, ect.

A 0 or 15 bag will be serious overkill. It will also be big and heavy if you insist on synthetic. I had good luck with a 30 degree Mont Bell #3 spiral hugger synthetic bag. It wasn't overly heavy or bulky. With a liner and base layer, you'll be fine. I've since moved onto using down bags and haven't looked back. Like you I was concerned with moisture but found it really isn't a problem, but it does take some care.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Two more miles View Post
    Thanks for the info no some other bags. I was hopping to stay away from down due to moisture on the trail. I can live with a 3lb bag if you think weigth is the problem. Should cut my cold weather sleeping system by almost half, my present bag really sucks.
    I can tell you from experience I actually have the Gold Aegismax sleeping bag that is on the Frugal Hiker website, bought it on amazon. I took it on the AT in October and it rained quite a bit, the bag performance was stellar. It's 28 oz and got pretty lofty after a quick wash and some dryer time with a few tennis balls. If you're worried about moisture you can always treat the down for cheap $$. Enjoy

++ New Posts ++