WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Western Mountaineering Caribou 35 for the JMT July/August SOBO

I have a new WM Caribou rated to 35*. I bought it with the JMT in mind. I'm usually a warm sleeper and have experience sleeping at higher elevations.

I know I can use my puffy to suppliment the bag if needed.

Is this bag enough?

Looking for input from those who sleep warm and have done the JMT in the summer.

Thanks!

Images

That is the exact bag I have used for late Aug, early Sept trips on the JMT. Never slept cold, perfectly adequate. Not saying that one will never experience an unseasonable storm, but that should be short-lived and not a major problem.

Images

Seems like enough bag, though I would say right on the edge for myself, a "medium" sleeper.

As always, the adequacy of a bag for a set of conditions is highly dependent on what tent you use.

Single wall tents tend to sleep a whole lot cooler than traditional tents, simply because single wall tents have much more ventilation. A small traditional tent (double wall) will sleep 5-7 degrees or so warmer. So, what tent are you using? If a single wall, you might have to pay more attention to where you camp along the JMT, like tending towards the lower elevations.

But overall, I think you'll be fine. Our first JMT was done in late July and I carried a MHW 32 bag, probably no warmer than a WM 35, but I used a traditional tent. Our final camp was very high at Guitar lake (we were SOBO), and slept fine. We did have spectacular weather the entire way, very typical for the Sierra.

"So, what tent are you using?"

Great question!

I'm shopping tents as well. Current tents that I have all seem to fall short in that they are too heavy (my 2014 BA CS3 UL) or too small (Black Diamond Firstlight).

My last sierra trip to the Emigrant I slept two people in the Firstlight and it was doable but tight.

I'm leaning towards a single wall from Tarp Tent or ZPacks or a double wall like the BA CS UL HV 2.

It's my daughter (14 yrs) and I who will be using it so I'm looking for room but also want to help keep our packs light. She's voting for the Duplex after seeing it so much in Dixie's videos. She has good but expensive taste it seems.

My concern with the Duplex is that the ground level winds and breezes will pass right through the tent. Creating a cooler sleeping environment like you mentioned above in your post. Not a problem unless your sleeping bag is on the lighter side like the WM Caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    That is the exact bag I have used for late Aug, early Sept trips on the JMT. Never slept cold, perfectly adequate. Not saying that one will never experience an unseasonable storm, but that should be short-lived and not a major problem.
    Thanks Lyle. I was hoping to hear that from a Caribou user.

As a med sleeper with extremity coldness issues(hands, feet) from past winter hunting experiences after now 5 JMT thru hikes I've been fine under a tarp(A Frame set up) but mostly preferring to cowboy camp using a WM Highlite 35* down bag on 4 of those late July to early Sept thrus. I did throw in a MLD Superlight bivy on two of those occasions. I have always went with just a med to light wt down or synthetic vest and med wt(250) LS Smartwool shirt. Doing one JMT and one SHR thru in early Oct I went with a 20* bag using the same tarp set up.

Colorado Rob offers a good pt in sharing sleeping elevation plays a valid role in sleep warmth. I'll add so does exposure. When cowboy camping I look for a more protected site like sandwiched between rock ledges, in evergreen groves, and out of the wind. This may mean not camping in the most obvious sometimes exposed beaten down sites adjacent to the JMT. FWIW, IMO the Sierra is so worth it scenically and for greater solitude to get off the JMT proper as much as a mile away to sleep.

Have a great hike.

Thanks Dogwood for sharing your experiences with a 35 bag. My confidence is growing.

As for getting off the JMT Super Highway to find a sweet bivy spot I am totally in to that. I just got my TH maps last night and have started studying. Darwin Bench is probably a better known but less crowded spot but I'm hoping to spend a night there as well.

Images

I will add, that my shelter consisted of a ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus tarp. On a few nights, when exposed to the wind, I would pitch it right to the ground.

I also routinely use a silk liner and just cover with the bag, using it as a quilt. As always, bring and use a knit or fleece hat. I never felt the need to zip into the bag. Used that set-up in 2013, 2015, and 2017.

Good stuff Lyle,

With pitching a Zpacks shelter right to the ground is it as simple as lowering the poles and staking the corners/sides down as close to the shelter as possible- i.e. not using the guy lines?

Images

Yes, you can either shorten the lines, or, as you say pitch the tarp itself right to the ground. Generally need to shorten the door side lines in order to keep the tension running in the proper line. The door side of the tarp will not pitch right down tight, so have to position the tarp properly. Another option I have used is to stack some of the MANY loose rocks around the perimeter at the bottom of the tarp to block the wind. Just be sure to return the rocks to where you got them in the spirit of LNT. Too many folks leave their windbreaks intact, I consider them blemishes on the landscape, like fire rings.

I like the Solo Plus because it allows more interior room for one (two in a real pinch), and lessens the concerns of wiggling your way out from under the tarp during the night.

I have the same bag and got by a couple nights in the teens with it, wouldn't do it again but I was fine in a pair of thermals and I threw a hand warmer down by feet the second night as my toes were a little cool the first. I wouldn't go out with it in those temps again or recommend that but I got by fine with a decent sleep, all closed up in the bag.

Hand warmers are a good idea for those higher camps. Thank you.

Just to be clear I never hiked the JMT, I reread my post and seen how I might have made it sound like that. I was just referring to using the same bag in cold temps. I was going to edit my post instead of posting again but didn't see an option to.

The Caribou is my go-to bag, I absolutely love it! I've had it down to, around, 40° and it was fine, however, I wouldn't take it any lower.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LL and RC your experience with the Caribou is appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

IMO, a Western Mountaineering 35 degree bag will be fine for the Sierra in July and August. I have a 20 degree WM bag that I use in the Sierra and rareky ever zip it up.

I have both an Enlightened Equipment 30F and a zPacks 10F and have, so far, felt that taking the zPacks in the High Sierra is worth the approximately 8 ounces of additional weight. I've compensated on recent hikes by optimizing my water strategy (carrying very little) as on my first JMT I carried way too much water. There are many people who use 30F bags in the High Sierra in summer. In 2016, I carried the zPacks and definitely did not need anything close to a 10F bag. I'm currently debating whether to take my 30F or 10F on a long PCT section heading NOBO out of Tuolumne next year starting mid August.

++ New Posts ++