WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We don't have many natural disasters in NM (Fire, but not likely to happen in Albuquerque). I imagine I could put together quite a few meals, if I needed to. I only day hike. I usually carry a Probar in the bottom of my pack, should I be delayed and need a pick me up. When I lived in Chicago, I kept a box of granola bars in the car. I had to stay overnight once because there was a ice storm and I couldn't get up the hill. Lucky for me there was a diner at the bottom of the hill!

I don't believe in the whole "zombie apocalypse" style survivalist type thinking. Seems like they watch too many bad movies.

Life boat rations they last for years and are packed small

I carry one extra day's worth of food both to allow for contingencies (sit out a day of blowing rain in my tent), and to provide for more variety in what I eat. What I end up with at the end of a typical section tends to be both bland and light for the calories (Ramen noodles, extra olive oil, energy bars). So if I had some significant multi-day emergency I'd have some extra food, and if I'm hunkering down I'd also have less of a calorie requirement. It'd be OK; just not the memory-making experience I'd looked forward to.

Images

There have been some areas affected that might be of a concern to carry a day or two of extra essentials

The inland U.S. state of New Mexico has experienced impacts from 81 known tropical cyclones and their remnants. There have been 68 known tropical cyclones from the Eastern Pacific that affected the state, compared to only 13 such Atlantic hurricanes. The biggest threat from such storms in the state is their associated rainfall and flooding. The wettest storm was from the remnants of an Atlantic storm in 1941 that produced 11.33 in (288 mm) of precipitation. Since 1950, the highest rainfall total recorded was 9.8 in (250 mm) in Canton, also associated with an Atlantic storm in 1954. The rains in 1954 resulted in flooding in six towns that killed at least four people. Other deadly rainfall events from tropical cyclone remnants include Hurricane Dolly in 2008 and Tropical Storm Georgette in 2010. The former swept away a person along the Rio Ruidoso and caused $25 million in damage (2008 USD), which was the most damaging storm event. The floods damaged 500 buildings and destroyed 13 bridges. The latter caused heavy rains that resulted in one death in the Rio Grande.

Flash flooding can be serious in the desert. I've been in a couple where the amount of water was really crazy. People do get washed away and drown. Especially people foolish enough to walk around in arroyos during storms. No idea why they do it. That said I have several gallons of water and enough Kind bars to get sick of them (along with stuff in the freezer, refrigerator, and cupboard). Also batteries and that type of thing.

Images

Keep a couple cans of this bread on hand

brpwn bread.JPG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++