WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm just as unimpressed with the gratuitous broadbrush biased comments about an entire group of Americans as I am with the OP's very first post to WB.
    Yep. A whole lot of whining by some bitter old (and old at heart) men.

How does a thread get shut down or removed?

Its interesting that a certain number of posts are needed to sell gear but you can sell nothing in your first post and never contribute again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Yep. A whole lot of whining by some bitter old (and old at heart) men.
    Putting the OP’s particular campaign aside, the link to people requesting donations for their own 2018 hikes was eye-opening.

Hard to fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    OP must have really believed all that "nonsense" about "the trail will provide". My advice is work a second job and save more money. Learn some lessons about discipline and commitment before you take the first step. Good luck.
    I was serious in my earlier reply - the OP should work a few more months and hike SOBO. He only needs $1,500 based on his gofundme request.

Hilarity regarding millennial antics aside, I've met some great young people on long distance hikes. They're doing what I wish I had done at their age.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlazin View Post
    https://www.gofundme.com/Thruhike2018

I plan on heading to springer mt somewhere inbetween march 15th and april 1st
    anything will be extremely appreciated! even some words of encouragement! xD
    I'm going to Spain in July. I'll chip in a dollar for every dollar you contribute to my vacation - deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    That organization is called the Army, established long ago! This young man could learn a few things about the outdoors, and life, if he were to join up.
    Yep. Camping / backpacking in exotic places...and you get paid for it.

Lol, go to work n save, you'll appreciate it more. I raised 4 kids and delayed my dream for 30 yrs so I could live w the love of my life. March 2018 I'm planning a thruhike on the AT w my 19 yr old son. I've outfitted both of us for approx $700 off of eBay over the last yr. all I need now is shoes n food on the way. DONT BE A LEECH! Get a job save

I'm 30, have 4 kids and 3 dogs.... You wouldn't catch me dead asking anyone for money, let a lone a vacation. Grow up. If you want to hike all day, then be able to afford it. I'll never understand my generations want for free stuff handed to them.

How does a thread get shut down or removed?
    Its interesting that a certain number of posts are needed to sell gear but you can sell nothing in your first post and never contribute again.
    Excellent point.
    Putting the OP’s particular campaign aside, the link to people requesting donations for their own 2018 hikes was eye-opening.
    Hard to fathom.
    An eye-opener.
    A whole lot of whining by some bitter old (and old at heart) men.
    Get off my lawn.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post

Get off my lawn.
    Yep, I always thank the land owners and abide by their rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm just as unimpressed with the gratuitous broadbrush biased comments about an entire group of Americans as I am with the OP's very first post to WB.
    Lighten up. The “broadbrush biased comments about an entire group of Americans” were made in jest, and the fact that enough of that generation (e.g. the OP) fit the characterization is what makes it funny.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlazin View Post
    https://www.gofundme.com/Thruhike2018
    even some words of encouragement! xD
    Good luck with that here.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Good luck with that here.
    Even funnier was someone asking for contributions on the 2018 PCT thru hiker Facebook page. I can think of no worse group to try mooching off of then a bunch of folks saving up for their own hike.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Eye opening for sure. Who gives these people money? Here is an idea, instead of having a go fund me account stand on a street corner with this sign and see what happens.
    WillWorkForMoney.png
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Ok, I've a big was of dough to send you, but first you must send me a good faith security deposit of $500. ��

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Ok, I've a big was of dough to send you, but first you must send me a good faith security deposit of $500. ��
    Are you in Nigeria and trying to disperse the estate of your late spouse, the former assistant to the Head of State?

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    Anyone else conside Gofundme and similar sites as something akin to begging?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm woefully underfunded compared to the usual thru-hiker. Nothing I can do about it so might as well head up trail and deal with the hassles as they come about. But if I'm 100% broke down to the bottom I sure as hell would try to arrange for loans rather than beg.
    Well I've known people with cancer to use such sites. Not sure it is the best way to do this, but I have donated to friends who have used them in this way. I thought the post re: who all was using it to fund AT hikes. But some of them seemed to be trying to fund charities and the like. I don't actually know how effective that is. Give to the charity directly, I'd guess dollar for dollar it would be more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    Well I've known people with cancer to use such sites. Not sure it is the best way to do this, but I have donated to friends who have used them in this way. I thought the post re: who all was using it to fund AT hikes. But some of them seemed to be trying to fund charities and the like. I don't actually know how effective that is. Give to the charity directly, I'd guess dollar for dollar it would be more efficient.
    There are a lot of people who are deserving of charity. It just frosts me when people who want to walk in the woods for 6 months suck up money that could be donated to people who are really in need like your friends with cancer.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

OP should just buy some bitcoin with the money he has saved up.
    It will, more than likely, be enough for a thru-hike by the time he starts the hike.

Too much bitterness on this thread IMO.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Why would anyone want to fund you? Hint: you are not a unique snowflake.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++