Default Oregon Scenic Trail, PCT Alternate

I am looking to hike part of Oregon and all of Washington in 2018. It has been suggested to hike the Oregon Scenic Trail around the worst sections of volcanic rock (Three Sisters?) since I will have my dogs. Can anyone offer any advice about the best place to leave and rejoin the PCT south and north of the volcanic rock section. I can't seem to find any information on the OST except on Wikipedia which isn't super helpful, and no maps at all

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I am looking to hike part of Oregon and all of Washington in 2018. It has been suggested to hike the Oregon Scenic Trail around the worst sections of volcanic rock (Three Sisters?) since I will have my dogs. Can anyone offer any advice about the best place to leave and rejoin the PCT south and north of the volcanic rock section. I can't seem to find any information on the OST except on Wikipedia which isn't super helpful, and no maps at all
    Have you checked halfmiles maps. I believe they have included the OST as an alternative.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

You'll want to avoid the volcanic rock areas just south and north of McKenzie Pass to help the dog's paws.

It's kind of a shame though because the lava fields are part of the diversity of the "PCT Experience."

Not that any dog owner particularly desires to hear this but the PCT is in general IMHO much harder, certainly logistically, on a dog(and dog owners), than the AT.

FWIW, the rocky volcanic tread can be experienced elsewhere but nowhere to the degree than around McKenzie/Santiam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You'll want to avoid the volcanic rock areas just south and north of McKenzie Pass to help the dog's paws.
    It's kind of a shame though because the lava fields are part of the diversity of the "PCT Experience."
    Not that any dog owner particularly desires to hear this but the PCT is in general IMHO much harder, certainly logistically, on a dog(and dog owners), than the AT.
    FWIW, the rocky volcanic tread can be experienced elsewhere but nowhere to the degree than around McKenzie/Santiam.

Thank you for this info. I have spent much time in lava fields before so know how rough they are...still have a scar on my ankle from a mis-step.
    I am looking into dog boots but won't order them until closer to the time, in case plans change, but those would allow me to do the tough section you mention.

I understand the tough logistics, but the trail itself is probably easier than some we've done since it is designed for horses too. My dogs are very trail experienced and bred for endurance so I know they can handle a lot of miles. I am also planning on a long hiking window (July 1st to August 31st, starting at Diamond Lake Lodge) so we can get away with less miles per day and rest more. I am also planning on mail drops/dropping off boxes exclusively due to dog food needs, except for Cascade Locks (the location I have chosen to decide if the dogs are in good shape to continue), to places that are basically all right on the trail, with a couple of exception.

Thank you for this info. I have spent much time in lava fields before so know how rough they are...still have a scar on my ankle from a mis-step.
    I am looking into dog boots but won't order them until closer to the time, in case plans change, but those would allow me to do the tough section you mention.

I understand the tough logistics, but the trail itself is probably easier than some we've done since it is designed for horses too. My dogs are very trail experienced and bred for endurance so I know they can handle a lot of miles. I am also planning on a long hiking window (July 1st to August 31st, starting at Diamond Lake Lodge) so we can get away with less miles per day and rest more. I am also planning on mail drops/dropping off boxes exclusively due to dog food needs, except for Cascade Locks (the location I have chosen to decide if the dogs are in good shape to continue), to places that are basically all right on the trail, with a couple of exception.
    You know how rough lava can be. It comes in different forms with Hawaiians having many different names for it including pahoehoe which has a relatively smooth often ropey texture. The aa at McKenzie is very rough course larger cinders. When aa forms a rough crust and you break through it's similar to breaking through glass or ice on a lake...very ankle unfriendly for humans. A dog's wt isn't always enough to break through.

All the PCT tread is not equal. If I'm recalling correctly somewhere in No Cal the geology turns into volcanic based. Although out of fashion with the get er dun crowd the Wilderness Press PCT Guide Books offer details about the PCT geology and how it changes.

You know how rough lava can be. It comes in different forms with Hawaiians having many different names for it including pahoehoe which has a relatively smooth often ropey texture. The aa at McKenzie is very rough course larger cinders. When aa forms a rough crust and you break through it's similar to breaking through glass or ice on a lake...very ankle unfriendly for humans. A dog's wt isn't always enough to break through.

All the PCT tread is not equal. If I'm recalling correctly somewhere in No Cal the geology turns into volcanic based. Although out of fashion with the get er dun crowd the Wilderness Press PCT Guide Books offer details about the PCT geology and how it changes.

Not far south of Diamond Lake is Crater Lake NP. I strongly suggest you experience the PCT Rim Tr. It's phenomenal. No dogs.

Mention the lava stuff because it can affect a dog's pads. The PCT may be a relatively wide and we'll graded (for equestrians, canines, and people) tread but the various tread characterestics can affect a dog.

It will be hot for both you and your dogs too. Expect to carry extra H2O ESPECIALLY in your anticipated sections. Youll often be up high with water seen below 100's if not 1000's of ft. As Malta said check Halfmiles PCT maps for alternates but not just for around McKenzie/Santiam but possibly in these areas to have greater water access. FWIW these lower elevation area alternates with more water access can be atrocious for skeeters.

Not far south of Diamond Lake is Crater Lake NP. I strongly suggest you experience the PCT Rim Tr. It's phenomenal. No dogs.

Mention the lava stuff because it can affect a dog's pads. The PCT may be a relatively wide and we'll graded (for equestrians, canines, and people) tread but the various tread characterestics can affect a dog.

It will be hot for both you and your dogs too. Expect to carry extra H2O ESPECIALLY in your anticipated sections. Youll often be up high with water seen below 100's if not 1000's of ft. As Malta said check Halfmiles PCT maps for alternates but not just for around McKenzie/Santiam but possibly in these areas to have greater water access. FWIW these lower elevation area alternates with more water access can be atrocious for skeeters.

I have been planning on the alternates for water. I can do 15 miles or so with enough water for us all.

Not worried about the Crater Rim hike...already been there and done that, but thanks

Dune, most won't like this response but it is a reality of the Oregon section... There are strategic water caches that were very well stocked in 2017. As you run into SOBO hikers ask them for details. I looked through my notes but did not record all of the places that had water caches. Send me a pm though and I will try to give you as detailed list as I am able. It won't be complete however...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I have spent a fair bit of time around McKenzie Pass and the Three Sisters with my dog, yeah, the trails can reek havoc on the dogs' paws, but, a well trail adjusted dog that is used to high rough miles can do just fine if you are willing to reduce your miles as needed and/or take an extra rest day somewhere along the way.

The oceans of lava, as noted above, are pretty special part of the Oregon PCT section and would be sad to miss. They are however, pretty hot, dry, exposed, rugged and frankly miserable in their own special way.
    My dog has done fine at times and poorly at others, depending on how much trail time her paws have had prior to the lava.
    Keys to success, if her paws have been otherwise adequately acclimated, have been to:
    - keep her from running on the lava (so leashed or under pretty tight verbal control)
    - limit miles per day to 10 or 15 instead of 15 or 20 (depending on how she is doing)
    - have an exit strategy so that if she is starting to struggle, I can get off the trail and give her some extra time to recover

I've been told that a piece of duct tape placed on the bottom of a dogs paws can also work well as paw protection if booties don't cut it, although I haven't ever tried it. I would love feedback on this idea of others have tried it.

The really rough lava sections aren't all that long, but there are lots of miles of cinder trail tread that is, of course, still much harder on paws than "dirt".
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I have spent a fair bit of time around McKenzie Pass and the Three Sisters with my dog, yeah, the trails can reek havoc on the dogs' paws, but, a well trail adjusted dog that is used to high rough miles can do just fine if you are willing to reduce your miles as needed and/or take an extra rest day somewhere along the way.

The oceans of lava, as noted above, are pretty special part of the Oregon PCT section and would be sad to miss. They are however, pretty hot, dry, exposed, rugged and frankly miserable in their own special way.
    My dog has done fine at times and poorly at others, depending on how much trail time her paws have had prior to the lava.
    Keys to success, if her paws have been otherwise adequately acclimated, have been to:
    - keep her from running on the lava (so leashed or under pretty tight verbal control)
    - limit miles per day to 10 or 15 instead of 15 or 20 (depending on how she is doing)
    - have an exit strategy so that if she is starting to struggle, I can get off the trail and give her some extra time to recover

I've been told that a piece of duct tape placed on the bottom of a dogs paws can also work well as paw protection if booties don't cut it, although I haven't ever tried it. I would love feedback on this idea of others have tried it.

The really rough lava sections aren't all that long, but there are lots of miles of cinder trail tread that is, of course, still much harder on paws than "dirt".
    Thanks for this...good info. My dogs are always directly in front of or behind me on the trail...rarely leaving it except to pee or poop when they have their packs on. They are very different with and without their packs on. They have done a lot of bouldering on granite and do fine. We are currently out in the desert so they are getting tougher by the minute with all the cactus and stickers they step on. My plan is to keep miles low for the first weeks anyway as we won't be super-well trail conditioned by then.

Thanks for this...good info. My dogs are always directly in front of or behind me on the trail...rarely leaving it except to pee or poop when they have their packs on. They are very different with and without their packs on. They have done a lot of bouldering on granite and do fine. We are currently out in the desert so they are getting tougher by the minute with all the cactus and stickers they step on. My plan is to keep miles low for the first weeks anyway as we won't be super-well trail conditioned by then.
    Nothing chews up my trail runners even the most coarse granite than aa lava types. It's my illusion your dog's pads will experience similar. FWIW I've witnessed people(one thru hiker and several day/weekend hikers) carrying their dogs around McKenzie/Santiam and tending to cut and bleeding paws on their animals so I understand your concerns. Same on some of the Three Sisters trails that also contain very rough aa cinder.

FWIW in climbing the south sister a few years ago with my nephew and dog (she was about a year old then, so 7 years ago) I pretty much wore out a new pair of Obos shoe tread in the twelve miles up and back. So yeah, the lava can be brutal, but then, my dogs paws, although sore, were not in seriously bad shape at the end.

nana & faceless herschel on S sister_LI.jpg
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++