WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fake Knees

Journal Entries

Default Fake Knees

Is there anyone out there that can relate their experience thru hiking with a replacement knee? I'm planning a NOBO TH in 2018 with a 4.5 year old knee and was wondering if there were any known issues to be concerned about. Besides the oil can, has anyone brought along anything to ease the pain and stiffness that will no doubt occur due to the punishment of the trail?

I cannot relate but kudos to you!

Journal Entries

I can't personally relate but there have been post on here in the past years addressing this question. If you use Google and site equals whiteblaze.net, you should locate some answers.

Going off of memory I think you will speed the time frame for which you need a tune-up on your knee. But apparently that's not a huge deal.

My dad ended up rattling his knee replacement loose when he was about your age, just playing golf. When he got the "tune up" he was warned to stop, as he didn't have enough bone left for a second fix. I imagine the replacement technology has changed since then. Your circumstances are going to be slightly different from anyone else's. Your weight, the type of hardware, bone health, all that kind of stuff. See a doctor if you can afford it.

Images

I have not had a knee replacement (yet), but have had 3 ACL reconstructions and 3 separate arthroscopic surgeries on the same knee within a 7 year span. 5 years after the last surgery I completed a NOBO thru hike with the perspective that my chance of success was cut in half due to my weakened knee. That said, I did bring prescription anti-inflammatory medicine, which I took during the first month on trail. It did help, but I still experienced minor swelling for the first month, and again throughout the White Mountains. Stretching in the morning before hiking, and in the evening at camp may have also helped. And at every town stop I would ice my knee for extended periods of time. My doctor says I'm a total knee just waiting to happen, so maybe one day you can throw some advice back my way.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

I’ll need new knees in the future (bone on bone) but for now I’ve been getting the injections of lube for the last couple years, for me they work.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I’ll need new knees in the future (bone on bone) but for now I’ve been getting the injections of lube for the last couple years, for me they work.
    lube? what is it. how long does it last. my right knee is bone on bone. VA will do surgery in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    lube? what is it. how long does it last. my right knee is bone on bone. VA will do surgery in the future
    its an injection of a thick oil (for lack of a PhD) called ’Synvisc One’ I get em about every 6 months and am laid up a day or two with discomfort. If I remember right they inject about 200 cc from a syringe about the size of a thumb and a needle that feel like a two by four goin’ in. Many report no change from treatment, but for me it workin’.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Just make sure your insurance will cover the Injection. It’s verrry expensive, about $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

++ New Posts ++