WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thanks everybody. Great info.

shinnbones. Me and a friend of mine will be section hiking that portion of the trail on last week of march 2108. We will start at Harpers Ferry the last week of march. This thread is very helpful. This section will be our first and we are looking forward to 2 to 4 weeks each year on the trail. We will section it until we are both retired and then be able to finish it. Thanks for every ones information. We elected to forego the Georgia section due to the hordes of people that time of year. Sectioning central/northern parts and puts ahead of the horde. We will go south (were from Maryland) in the September time frame, a few less people. Pleasant weather.

Quote Originally Posted by cs2blue View Post
    shinnbones. Me and a friend of mine will be section hiking that portion of the trail on last week of march 2108. We will start at Harpers Ferry the last week of march. This thread is very helpful. This section will be our first and we are looking forward to 2 to 4 weeks each year on the trail. We will section it until we are both retired and then be able to finish it. Thanks for every ones information. We elected to forego the Georgia section due to the hordes of people that time of year. Sectioning central/northern parts and puts ahead of the horde. We will go south (were from Maryland) in the September time frame, a few less people. Pleasant weather.
    2108? That's a long wait I'd reconsider starting the last week of March, especially if this is your first long hike. Triply so if it's your first hike. Good chance it will still be winter. Don't start until April 15 at the earliest. Starting with the flip flop group about that time in April is a good plan.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I hiked from Harper's Ferry to Wind Gap just a couple of months ago. The southern part wasn't too bad, but some of the boulder scrambles were a little daunting. The Knifes Edge and the boulders at Lehigh Gap outside of Palmerton were really tough going. I have a blog if you want to check out what I had to say. The address is in my signature lines. I started in mid-September. I'm 68 so a young fellow like you shouldn't have a problem .
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Is port clinton hotel actually a hotel or just a bar and grill??
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    It's an actual hotel, but only has a few rooms. 4 or 6 maybe, all with just one twin bed. I split a room with another guy. I lost the coin toss and ended up sleeping on the floor. But it was like 90 out and the room had A/C so it was worth it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    It is a hotel. I stayed there two nights. Just be aware the restaurant and bar are closed in Sundays. I was the only one in the building when I zeroed there on a Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Port Clinton Hotel is both, but both are closed on Monday (I believe), so plan accordingly. It is one of the old time hotels with individual rooms upstairs and a common bathroom. I was there this fall and the bed was ridiculously soft, but survivable. I think there were actually two bathrooms, and probably 8-10 rooms. I was the only one there that night. Really enjoyed a couple of beers and dinner at the bar after a day of hiking.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Cost of room guys? Thanks for the info I will be there in July
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Yeah, the baths are community style. You have to walk out of your room and down the hall to get to the bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Also, about the rocks - I think the main issue is that they slow you down. I think if you tried to keep up your normal pace through them you would be very likely to get hurt, so that is the frustrating part to me. I average 2 mph through most of the trail, but about 1.2 - 1.5 through the rocks. They're mostly on the ridgelines, and there are a lot of ridgelines in the northern half of the state.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    B carefully of your hiking poles if you use them . The tips can get stuck between rocks and bend or worse.
    I had carbon fiber poles. The tips of both poles broke off in the PA rocks.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

The Cumberland Valley has more tree cover than it used to even 10 years ago, many of the little trees that sprouted by the trail after the off-road relocation 20+ years ago have closed canopy and are now big enough to blaze.

Also, many of the views feature monster warehouses now, not just farmland.

Many of the trails further north and west in PA offer better scenery, slightly higher elevation/cooler - and even more rocks.

One could follow the "other trail" network from, say, SNP to Harriman for a different view of the mid-Atlantic without getting too far into days-long roadwalks or choose-your-own-adventure, has anyone ever done this on a repeat thru-hike?

Is it raining yet?
    Images

The southern half of PA is great; north of Duncannon is all rock. It's not the footing I didn't like; it was the fact that the sides of my feet hurt. If you wear something less than a full grain leather boot, the rocks seem to pierce through the sidewalls of the boots and the sides of my feet were very sore as a consequence. Maybe it's just me.

Also, there are many stretches around Port Clinton that are BORING as all get out, as there are miles and miles between overlooks....
    Be Prepared

Northern PA is a bit of a suck.

It’s not really difficult per se, but the rocks are occasionally infuriating. It’s a combination of that and the fact that if you’re a nobo that’s also when you’re hitting some of the worst heat, humidity, and bugs.

Southern Pa, and New Jersey, are both pretty great, however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Northern PA is a bit of a suck.

It’s not really difficult per se, but the rocks are occasionally infuriating. It’s a combination of that and the fact that if you’re a nobo that’s also when you’re hitting some of the worst heat, humidity, and bugs.

Southern Pa, and New Jersey, are both pretty great, however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is my experience as well. Southern PA is some of the easiest walking on the entire trail. New Jersey is still a little rocky but surprisingly pretty.

I am a section hiker and I didn't think they rocks were too terrible. Just a nuisance more than anything. My theory is thru hikers hate them so much because when they get to them it is hot and humid and they have heard so many horror stories about the rocks that their attitude toward them already sucks. So of course they are going to complain about them, I would too. But as a section hiker I'm only out there for a week or so and I'm just happy to be on the trail and not stuck in my office! Mindset makes a big difference.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    The southern half of PA is great; north of Duncannon is all rock. It's not the footing I didn't like; it was the fact that the sides of my feet hurt. If you wear something less than a full grain leather boot, the rocks seem to pierce through the sidewalls of the boots and the sides of my feet were very sore as a consequence. Maybe it's just me.

Also, there are many stretches around Port Clinton that are BORING as all get out, as there are miles and miles between overlooks....
    It's just you. You probably have weak ankles. =)

I hike those stretches in-and-around Port Clinton on a regular basis. There are some good vistas (the Pinnacle, Pulpit Rock, Dan's Pulpit, etc) sprinkled about and the rocks are relatively tame compared to other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    ... My theory is thru hikers hate them so much because when they get to them it is hot and humid and they have heard so many horror stories about the rocks that their attitude toward them already sucks. So of course they are going to complain about them, I would too....Mindset makes a big difference.
    This. Plus, they look at the easy elevation profile and figure they can stride along at 5 mph but the rocks slow them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    This. Plus, they look at the easy elevation profile and figure they can stride along at 5 mph but the rocks slow them down.
    This is a big factor, also.

Mostly though is a confluence of everything.

There are huge stretches in New Hampshire and Maine that are way worse than any terrain in PA; like daily misery and toil, but I still recall northern Pa with a certain level of frustration.

A lot of it was heat and bugs, I think.

NH is brutal but you’re also in the Whites

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    This is a big factor, also.

Mostly though is a confluence of everything.

There are huge stretches in New Hampshire and Maine that are way worse than any terrain in PA; like daily misery and toil, but I still recall northern Pa with a certain level of frustration.

A lot of it was heat and bugs, I think.

NH is brutal but you’re also in the Whites
    Yes.

I've always said that the major, granted not the only, difference between PA and NH is that NH's rocks are on steep, 2-3,000' ups and downs where the hiker's focus is more on gravity than treadway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++