WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

And epic views instead of aggressive bugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it's referred to as " the place where boots go to die" I'd say that it would be a wee bit challenging. Also it's often said the PA has the most and meanest snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    Since it's referred to as " the place where boots go to die" I'd say that it would be a wee bit challenging. Also it's often said the PA has the most and meanest snakes.
    I hadn’t heard either of those, but I like them.

My trail runners were already on their way out before northern Pa but man, those last two days chewed them right up.

That said, not as badly as New Hampshire did

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    Never heard that either but true. I junked my Merrills after hitting DE Water Gap. Saw some snakes too...
    Be Prepared

Images

We have rattlesnakes and copperheads, but they tend to be fairly lethargic.

Images

PA is rocky but not that big a deal. Mainly it's flat easy going.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I repeat what others have said...

I was really paranoid about PA... and then, when I started NB from Penn Mar, thought everyone was wrong... it was a "cake walk" for the A.T. ... a lot of flat areas, cow pastures, etc. - For the FIRST 90 MILES!

Palmerton North - OMG... it got tougher, especially that first 20 miles through the "super site" or whatever they call that mountain that is an environmental devastation.... After that, - ROCKS - that are sharpened to points to hurt your feet!!!!! This is the one major spot on the trail where you want to have SuperFeet inserts!!!!

Images

If you like or are great at rock-hopping, PA will be better but with that said, these are not flat rock, although I have never seen them I heard that there are trail maintainers who go out at night with big rock files and sharpen all rocks.

I live in PA and have no plans of ever hiking North of Boiling Springs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I repeat what others have said...
    I was really paranoid about PA... and then, when I started NB from Penn Mar, thought everyone was wrong... it was a "cake walk" for the A.T. ... a lot of flat areas, cow pastures, etc. - For the FIRST 90 MILES!
    Palmerton North - OMG... it got tougher, especially that first 20 miles through the "super site" or whatever they call that mountain that is an environmental devastation.... After that, - ROCKS - that are sharpened to points to hurt your feet!!!!! This is the one major spot on the trail where you want to have SuperFeet inserts!!!!
    We've done two-thirds of Pennsylvania, from Penn-Mar to Port Clinton, and we've already hiked New Jersey. This coming spring we'll go up and fill in the gap from Port Clinton to DWG. I can hardly wait....NOT!

It isn't
    The rocks are tough on the feet but the terrain allows for big miles.
    Also PA is home to easily one of the best Hostels on the AT, Rock N Sole

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

-

my take on PA:

just nothing to be interested in

not difficult, but not the easy miles of VA

not the easy resupply of NY / NJ

little of interest to see

I regard it as paying the dues to get between north and south

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    We have rattlesnakes and copperheads, but they tend to be fairly lethargic.
    I agree, I saw and heard both. The rattle snake was just letting me know where it was so I would not mess with it.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

When I hiked Southbound in 2012 I did not notice the supposed rocky terrain. Of course, I was fleeing from Hurricane Sandy at the time. We called Sandy the Frankenstorm on the AT. I put in some ludicrous mileage and probably did not notice a lot of things.
    The night before the Frankenstorm hit I walked for eighteen hours to get to Boiling Springs. Those last ten miles were easy enough to keep going while very very tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Goat View Post
    When I hiked Southbound in 2012 I did not notice the supposed rocky terrain. Of course, I was fleeing from Hurricane Sandy at the time. We called Sandy the Frankenstorm on the AT. I put in some ludicrous mileage and probably did not notice a lot of things.
    The night before the Frankenstorm hit I walked for eighteen hours to get to Boiling Springs. Those last ten miles were easy enough to keep going while very very tired.
    The rocks are way worse in areas like the Whites so for a Southbounder PA rocks should not be an issue at all.
    I remember thinking in the Whites "no one should ever complain about PA ever again once they've made it this far, waaaaay worse"

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Images

I live not far from the trail and have done PA and sections of it quite a few times. from PenMar to Duncannon - It is pretty scenic and straight forward easy hiking. From Duncannon to Fort Indiantown Gap, it is a nice ridge walk (several ridges and a few smaller valleys) from FI Gap it becomes simply a series of long straggling toe-jamming, ankle-twistable ridge walks. the ups and downs aren't really bad - infrequent, but jammed with boulder jumbles in spots. I agree with others. Water is a bitch to find in hi-summer. I think what makes some think PA is hard is because the previous 700-750 miles where on fairly smooth trails and here you have to slow down now and pick your footfalls.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by jj dont play View Post
    I remember thinking in the Whites "no one should ever complain about PA ever again once they've made it this far, waaaaay worse"
    That's what my wife said about Katahdin.

For PA, though the A.T. has the name recognition, there are a number of more scenic backpacking trails, including but not necessarily limited to:

Standing Stone
    Black Forest
    West Rim
    Mid State
    Tiadaghton
    Old Loggers Path
    Loyalsock
    Tuscarora
    Quehanna

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    For PA, though the A.T. has the name recognition, there are a number of more scenic backpacking trails, including but not necessarily limited to:

Standing Stone
    Black Forest
    West Rim
    Mid State
    Tiadaghton
    Old Loggers Path
    Loyalsock
    Tuscarora
    Quehanna
    Add to this list the Susquehannock.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Add to this list the Susquehannock.

And the Laurel Highlands.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

PA is a great state. The northern 20 or so miles into DWG aren't my favorite, and the multiple service road crossings near the northern end can feel like the twilight zone, but I'd say everything up to Port Clinton is a real pleasure. I'd recommend hiking BS to Duncannon at night if you have good moonlight and weather. Its really cool to ramble through farmfields and neighborhoods at night, and you may even stumble upon a creepy old graveyard ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++