WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Lots of people want to have food and beverage simultaneously: coffee with their oatmeal, or whatever.

My mug is an Ozark Trail collapsible job ($1.42 at Walmart), so if you're looking to add a mug to your gear for that beverage-with-meal experience, you can make it a flexible one. And it'll squish down to fit in any mesh pocket on the outside of your pack. Sterilize (and also preheat) with some boiling water when you're making your cocoa at the end of the day's hiking.
    Nice tip, was looking at Sea to Summit mug costing almost 10 times more. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    When using one device for map apps, regular music and high camera usage, always being left on, phone, browsing, watching movies, audio books, weather reports, compass,
    etc etc that equals eggs all in one basket high usage. Then, we blame the device or the solar panel. It's our usage that is most to blame.
    I've been looking for a dedicated MP3 player for my upcoming hike.

The old sansa clips were awesome. The news ones don't have the same positive reviews.

Any recommendations?

I would like to reserve the use of my phone to Guthooks and communication. Mostly riding on airplane mode and conserving battery.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

The old sansa clips were awesome. The news ones don't have the same positive reviews.

Any recommendations?

I would like to reserve the use of my phone to Guthooks and communication. Mostly riding on airplane mode and conserving battery.

I have a Sansa Clip +.....excellent player. It's getting old so I've purchased a Ruizu which is almost a clone of the Sansa. Sounds really good and menus are fairly intuitive. I wanted one with radio as my phone doesn't have such. Here's the model that I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/RUIZU-X50-Blu...3+player&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

Any recommendations?

Since I dont always want to take a eggs all in one basket approach on trail because my camera, audio books, compass, and music usage can be periodically very high and want features of these activities that a "smart phone" isn't yet smart enough to always provide or I'm comfortably old school in some ways at some times I too sometimes want a dedicated MP3 player. I liked the Li AAA battery operated ones by Sansa. It took some hunting and scorns from electronics guru millenials like I was asking where the Model T Fords were located but i recently found a AAA battery RCA mp3 player at Target under tbe dust that cost less than $20 that includes easy rip software for FREE music downloads. It hold 3000 songs and a bunch of books plenty enough for on trail.

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong though.

Have this small, custom-made powerful flashlight which was very useful.

After reversing my decision to head south back to my home state of Florida from Rutland, VT to avoid probate court routed abuse of my basic rights to decisions regarding my own person, I skimmed through the northbound route to the next state over, New Hampshire, surviving on handouts and with only a daypack, some hygiene products, and an discarded mountain dew bottle for water. I was without my ID cards as my then court-appointed guardian had destroyed them all in a fit of rage. Today, I'm back in possession of both my rights and new ID cards. But now with increasing populations of Lone Star ticks and a broken ankle to boot, I think I'll stick with private vehicles and the highways for any future interstate travels. Still, had I been traveling with a full-sized pack and all the resources I could use, the neuralgia I'd developed in my shoulders during my last bug out to avoid my then better half's overstepping judgment would have grounded my flight within a day. Sometimes less is more.

For my first month I wore every stitch of clothing I brought with me because I'm a pansy about the cold, but once in VA by late May, I kept only my bare minimum of clothing. Had a town dress for a few weeks but ended up leaving that at home too (Pearisburg) and just wearing my Toggs for laundry. Also switched out my larger journal for the lightest Moleskin kind because my multi-page-per-night journaling habit died after the first month. Also switched my cheap plastic spork for a long-handled titanium spoon because I was jealous of hikers around me who could eat out of MountainHouse/freezer bags without getting their hands all dirty.

Also enjoyed hot meals/coffee for the cold weeks at the beginning, but happily ditched my cook setup in VA and ate cold-soaked food out of a Talenti jar the rest of the way.

I also never used gaiters but I think I'd get some dirty girls if I was going to do it again, particularly for PA-VT. Every outfitter I'd think about it, but then I'd decide against them because I didn't like the colors/patterns, but before my next long hike I'll probably order some online that I like.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

My wife and I bought Dirty Girls after ditching our old nylon three quarter gaiters at the first opportunity, best couple of ounces I ever invested in, wouldn’t be without them now. We wear only trail runners of course.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    My wife and I bought Dirty Girls after ditching our old nylon three quarter gaiters at the first opportunity, best couple of ounces I ever invested in, wouldn’t be without them now. We wear only trail runners of course.
    Googled "dirty girls" and had some very interesting results, but nothing backpacking related. What are they?

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    Googled "dirty girls" and had some very interesting results, but nothing backpacking related. What are they?
    For real lol.

Dirty Girl GAITERS.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood44 View Post
    books...heavy arse books!!
    I remember a kid whos well meaning aunt gave him several books at his dropoff. His pack was 42 lbs.

He burned those books first night.

Default What did you take and wish you didn't? And vice versa.

if I left now, I'd be takin a couple of hernias with me, and I'd damn sure be wishing I didnt!

Definitely take a buff. Almost didn't take one because I never used one camping and never used one any other time. I remember when I was planning out my gear I kept adding it and then removing it, so happy I had it with me. I found so many totally random uses for it that I never could have predicted it and occasionally found myself wishing I had more than one of them.

As far as what not to take I super over estimated my food and water when I was first starting out. As far as food went I took so much food that I actually didn't need to resupply at the first town I hit. As far as water goes, always know the next place you plan to stop for water and where the next possible stop is after that. Plan on carrying enough water that you think you can make it to the second stop, but you probably don't need more than that.

I had a 22 lbs base weight (35 lbs total) starting out. As I hiked I trimmed here and there (you will need to figure out for yourself as you go what you don't need) and landed around 15 lbs (22 lbs total) after 200 miles. Its okay to start out a bit heavy so long as you recognize that you should trim down as you feel more comfortable and know what you use and what you don't.

Lastly, I would say take a disposable plastic knife and the worlds lightest utility tool instead of a pocket knife. 9 times out of 10 you are going to prefer the lightweight and bigger plastic knife to the pocket knife anyhow, and there is more things (such as scissors) that I ended up using on the utility tool than the pocket knife.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Cutter Snake Bite Kit.

Anyone remember those? People are smarter now.

Just found it earlier this month during a round of de-cluttering. I am throwing out stuff by the car load, but for some reason I could not toss it and so relegated it to a corner of my desk — worse than useless — dangerous.

Right on all counts but now it's a CLASSIC! Is yours green,about the size of a candy egg with cool checkering on it and a little red string and tiny scalpel in it?Man,I sure wish I had not tossed mine.It would be a real conversation piece today...........

While I have bought into the minimalist approach to a modest extent, its seems the trail wont let me hike light.

My first trips were with a 50L Stratos pack and a skin out weight near 50lbs.(but I am supplied for 7-10s with no stops) So I was hiking with a lot of redundant gear, clothes changes for every 3 days etc. even a shower setup(which at 3 ounces I still carry and use).

So then I bought a 58L Exos, ditched the 3 man Copper Spur, the Big Agnes 4.5" foam jumbo pad etc and got into the low 40lb range. Not really noticing the lower weight.Then I hit sections with poor water availability so next thing, I'm carrying a lot water for 10 miles due to 100* temps... then I run into a pear tree with beautiful fruit. Next thing I know I'm back up to 50lbs. but boy was it nice to have fresh fruit and water for cooling off(and yes, a shower).

I trim more gear and head out again, this time at 40lbs for 10 days, I leave the last shelter before 4 Mile Camp(going into Harpers Ferry) and a voice in my head tells me to carry maximum water(6L Dromedary and 4L in bottles-I'm thinking a nice long shower before town and the train ride) so I hump 20lbs of water 4-5 miles and get into camp to find a Boy Scout troop and 8 hikers all of whom thought there was water there and of course there is not. So my monster cache of water turned into barely enough for dinner and getting to HF the next day. True story I swear, it was worth it to see the looks when I offered water to everyone.

The next outing my pack is into the 30's and thinking I'll fly on the trail being so light. Well somewhere along the way to loading up, I inadvertently packed my surplus food stash AND my 10 day intended amount. So the first night not feeling like I had flown with the lower load I discover I have over 17 days worth of food. And I'm not about to throw away that much Mountain House etc so yet again I'm humping 40+ pounds.

Now that I normally start out with a sub 40lb pack weight I still find ways to up it a bit

Last trip I took a Copper Spur HV UL2 Hotel tent somewhat offset by a switching to an Osprey Levity 60L pack. Up till that trip I had switched to a Fly Creek HV UL2, so I pretty much doubled my tent weight. I will say the extra room was wonderful and very nice on rainy days, truly a hotel like experience.

Ready to head out again this year with a "regular" Copper Spur HV UL2 and my only planned extravagance will be a double ration of homebrew Raspberry crumble since MH dropped it from their lineup.

Lessons learned, I just hope the trail does not throw me too many curve balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    . . . Lessons learned, I just hope the trail does not throw me too many curve balls.
    Yeah, but it will. Just keep sharing them so the rest of us can enjoy them as well.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Really nice to hear someone enjoy my experiences. So far I would not change a minute of my trail time and hope to continue to be surprised with the great people I meet and whatever the trail holds for me. When you are out for fun versus the more serious make miles approach it gives you more opportunities for "experiences". The last two trips have been epic in terms of my enjoyment level so I'm really motivated to spend all the time I can this year following that whiteblaze. It will be a sad day when I can't do this any more but as things stand now that will hopefully be after finishing the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Yeah, but it will. Just keep sharing them so the rest of us can enjoy them as well.

I wanted more red gummy bears and less Maruchuan Chicken Flavored Ramen.

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    We wear only trail runners of course.
    Wow, I was thinking of wearing shorts and a tee shirt too, but this approach would really lighten things up, and be a lot cooler.

I wished I brought a pee bottle for the tent, picked one up at Neels Gap and wont go camping without one again.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++