WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I like the idea of a synthetic quilt on top of my down quilt to take the brunt of the wind/rain/snow/frost weather abuse to give me a layering option depending on the temp/weather.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    all very interesting to me.

about the rating being rubbish..... I don't know, I feel that they are more like a point of reference. Not an absolute thing so much. IN my very limited experience with cheap synthetic bags and quilts, I'd say that whole thing based on 70 degrees being the no quilt datum that things are fairly on the mark (given the fact that 70 degrees is not my "no quilt" temperature). My 20 degree cheap synthetic bag is good for me to down to the low to mid 30's
    My latest quilt is a BA Kings Canyon...I've had it for 2-3 years now and I have some experience with it down to about 45. not rated officially as far as I know but I believe specs were for approx 45 degrees. I've found that for me its good to low 50's.

When I made this post, I wasn't thinking so much of the purpose buy of two matching quilts or bags with the purpose of a layered system. I'm currently considering getting something a bit better, such as maybe an EE quilt, probably 20 degrees. But my mind is spinning on options of combining something like a 30 degree that might actually serve me better, with my Kings Canyon quilt.
    Another point of consideration for me is weather to buy something different for my kids. Two of them currently have only some cheap kids bags that I would guess to be 45 degree or maybe 50 degree...so I was wondering what I might expect if I layered my kings canyon on top of theirs...

That would take up a lot lot of space in your pack. 2 synthetic bags. I can suffer hiking in bad weather but not when sleeping. Better off over bagged then under bagged.

Thom

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    I like the idea of a synthetic quilt on top of my down quilt to take the brunt of the wind/rain/snow/frost weather abuse to give me a layering option depending on the temp/weather.
    I bought quilts with this very thing in mind. I have a 40* synthetic reg/reg that goes over a 40* down short/small for the wife. A 50* synthetic long/wide and a 40* reg/reg for myself. The wife's combo shows 10* on the EE chart 20* for mine, she sleeps cold so 20* might be the actual rating for her based on the chart. Haven't gotten out in cold temps though as we don't have pads for cold atm.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++