Journal Entries

Default Transportation from Reno to PCT

Anybody have helpful tips on how to get to and from the PCT from Reno Airport?

Here is one resource:
    https://www.estransit.com
    Have you looked at flying into Mammoth Lakes for price and schedule versus Reno?
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Amtrak to Truckee.

There is a bus that serves the Reno Airport and locations in Truckee for a $49 one way fare: https://www.northlaketahoeexpress.com. This will probably be more convenient and timely compared to trying to catch the once-per-day Amtrak which is reaching the end of its Chicago-SF run and can be hours late. There is a hostel in Truckee that might be able to arrange shuttles or one can hitch to Donner Summit or Donner Pass to get on the PCT.

To get to the JMT section of the PCT, use ESTA to get from Reno to Mammoth, Bishop or Lone Pine. https://www.estransit.com. Note that they only run Monday - Friday and there is only one southbound Reno bus per day. You can make a reservation although I never needed one.

I'm note entirely sure that it is complete but you can in theory hike from Reno to the PCT. Can't remember what source I got this quote from. "Rim to Reno Project that will connect the Tahoe Rim Trail to the Thomas Creek Trailhead in Reno." So, hike from Reno to the TRT then circle around, either direction, and connect to the PCT.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Eastern Sierra Transit News,
    ♦ The 395 Routes to Reno and Lancaster now operate Monday thru Friday for both North and Southbound routes. Providing locals and visitors additional connections to the Reno Tahoe International Airport and Greyhound Station and the MetroLink Train in Lancaster. Real-time arrival information for the 395 Routes is available with the Swiftly app available from the Apple App Store, and Google Play.
    There is more news related to the PCT & JMT on the web site linked in my first post.
    Wayne

Images

I have done some different things.

There is a bus that will take you from the Reno Airport with stops in places like Lee Vining, Mammoth Lakes, and Lone Pine. Once, I stupidly flew into Reno on a day that bus was not running and then I rented a car for a one-way drive to Mammoth Airport instead (then I hitched from the airport back to Tuolumne Meadows all in the same day).

My last section I placed an add in Craigslist requesting a ride from the airport to the Donner Pass/PCT crossing for pay and arrangements were made. I was on the trail within an hour after my plane landed for the price of $40 and a terror drive that I won't soon forget. At least the driver was willing to share the endless stream of tall Buds he was chugalugging the entire ride. I downed a few during the drive the just to keep him from consuming any more (and to ease my terror)
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I took a city bus from the airport to downtown, then Greyhound to Truckee; easy hitch to Donner summit.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    Actually, there are many options.

If flying into Reno AP is a done deal I'd suggest accessing the PCT no further south than about Walker Pass and no further north than about Lassen NP. Even then(Walker to Lassen) might be better accessed via a different AP and/or Amtrak.
    Main reasons are the length of additional travel and additional transfers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Easy enough, as said, to pick up the PCT through Truckee, or at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite NP.

Don't count out other AP,s though depending exactly where you might anticipate picking up the PCT...LAX, MAMMOTH LAKES, SACRAMENTO, REDDING, KLAMATH FALLS, ETC. Also, as said don't ignore assistance by reaching out to PCT ANGELS and Hostels

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I'm note entirely sure that it is complete but you can in theory hike from Reno to the PCT. Can't remember what source I got this quote from. "Rim to Reno Project that will connect the Tahoe Rim Trail to the Thomas Creek Trailhead in Reno." So, hike from Reno to the TRT then circle around, either direction, and connect to the PCT.
    Haven't looked deeply into this but seems to be one heluva long pedestrian approach to get to the PCT! Reno is NOT that close to the PCT.

From Reno one could bus to Quincy CA hitching up to the PCT. Easy hitch. This might be acceptable for a SOBO itinerary starting pt. Did this twice. Truckee/Donner thrice(TRT Thru once, PCT section once, Desolation Wilderness once), TM a bunch of times. Carson City NV once(THT Thru).

++ New Posts ++