WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hand-made sub 1 oz alcohol stove cook systems for sale...maybe?

I have been making alcohol stoves since before my thru hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2001. I make them for friends, coworkers, and people I meet on the trail. They are really well made, efficient, and light. The stove weighs 7-8 grams. The stove, pot stand, wind screen and heat reflector all weigh less than an ounce (25 grams on my scale). I usually make the wind screens out of local beers cans so they look pretty cool.

.75 oz of alcohol boils 2 cups of water in about 6 minutes and burns for about 10 minutes total (every stove will be a little different). I like this style of stove because it needs no priming due to it having a separate pot stand. As soon as the alcohol is lit the flame begins to heat the water. I also like the pot stand not being attached to the stove because I feel safer moving the pot around with less chance of disturbing the stove.

1 ounce of alcohol seems to be the most efficient (I count on using 1 ounce per meal on the trail but I usually have fuel let over). The stoves edges are sanded and I try to give them a really nice finish. They are sturdy (I can stand on one) and simple to use. They are origami style, meaning no glue, adhesive, or JB Weld was used, just folds and creases. The setup works best with 750 ml or smaller pots due to the size of the windscreen. I can make a bigger windscreen but I don't have any put together right now.

I have about 15 complete sets made and I was thinking about selling them for $20 dollars which includes shipping. If anyone is interested I can take more pictures or maybe make a Youtube video of one. I like making the stoves but I'm getting a backlog of them

I guess reply to this thread if you're interested?

Thanks,
    Hipbone
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

I used a tea-light candle holder as a stove. 4 of them together on my scale still did not register any weight on grams. It is a functional stove that weights nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I used a tea-light candle holder as a stove. 4 of them together on my scale still did not register any weight on grams. It is a functional stove that weights nothing.
    Pay the shipping and I'll send you a stove set for free (probably around $5 for the shipping). I think you'll find that the stove is really efficient in alcohol use and boil times. You can leave a post in this thread and tell us what you think of the stove.

If Starchild doesn't want one I'll send someone else a free one if they want to test it out. They're pretty nice stoves

Also 4 tea candle light holders weigh 2.6 grams... I just weighed them, so that's a pretty light option depending on how efficient it is

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    Also 4 tea candle light holders weigh 2.6 grams... I just weighed them, so that's a pretty light option depending on how efficient it is
    Just to add I only use one at a time, usually bring 2 since they are fragile. My scale refuses to measure them (where I got 4 from, which is what I had to see if it could weight a gram).

Journal Entries

Pay the shipping and I'll send you a stove set for free (probably around $5 for the shipping). I think you'll find that the stove is really efficient in alcohol use and boil times. You can leave a post in this thread and tell us what you think of the stove.

If Starchild doesn't want one I'll send someone else a free one if they want to test it out. They're pretty nice stoves
    I'll take you up on this and report back on it. Will PM you.

Aw man. I would have liked one to try too.

Images

I'll try a 5 dollar one as well...

only one $5 stove was available

I made a quick video of the stove that I will send out. Boil time was about 6.5 minutes in a cold garage. Flame out was about 12.5 minutes. .75 oz of alcohol was used. Toaks 550 pot was the vessel.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v8LKRWsbS7AAae312

I'll take you up on this and report back on it. Will PM you.
    You inbox is full...can't send pm you

Journal Entries

You inbox is full...can't send pm you
    OK, just made some room.

Also, if you already have a windscreen I'll sell the stove and the pot stand for $15 bucks (you can make your own heat shield). I can make larger windscreens but it takes more cans and I can only drink beer so fast

Journal Entries

I have received this a bit back but hadn't had time to test it till now, and that just a quick test, in winter I ski so not much time for hiking and testing. It is more powerful then I expected and got a boil of 16 oz water in 4:30 seconds, but could not reasonably extinguish the excess fuel so let it burn out, so have no measure of efficiency. When I have more time I will test it more and perhaps take this on some field tests. Right now it appears impressive compared to the standard caldara 10-12 cone burner, supercat and the Starlite. But again I need time to do this and now my time is spent on other outdoors stuff.

I have received this a bit back but hadn't had time to test it till now, and that just a quick test, in winter I ski so not much time for hiking and testing. It is more powerful then I expected and got a boil of 16 oz water in 4:30 seconds, but could not reasonably extinguish the excess fuel so let it burn out, so have no measure of efficiency. When I have more time I will test it more and perhaps take this on some field tests. Right now it appears impressive compared to the standard caldara 10-12 cone burner, supercat and the Starlite. But again I need time to do this and now my time is spent on other outdoors stuff.
    Good test. 16 oz in 4:30 seconds. That means you used between .40 oz and .45 oz of alcohol to boil 16 oz (based on .75 ml of alcohol flame out = 10 to 11 minutes). For 2 cups of water I usually use .6 oz so that stove you have is pretty efficient...all of them are a little different.

4:30 seconds is pretty fast. Is that counting from when he stove was lit or when it bloomed? Thanks for testing. Hope the stove is useful to you.

Also I have about 10 more full sets of these stoves if anyone is interested. I have about 40 stoves but no wind screens or pot stands made for them yet...

15 bucks plus 5 bucks to ship for a full set.

Journal Entries

Good test. 16 oz in 4:30 seconds. That means you used between .40 oz and .45 oz of alcohol to boil 16 oz (based on .75 ml of alcohol flame out = 10 to 11 minutes). For 2 cups of water I usually use .6 oz so that stove you have is pretty efficient...all of them are a little different.

4:30 seconds is pretty fast. Is that counting from when he stove was lit or when it bloomed? Thanks for testing. Hope the stove is useful to you.
    The pot went into the stove after about 5 seconds after lighting. I usually don't wait for it to bloom as that seems like wasting fuel which also can start it's job, but the delay was getting to the stopwatch on the iPhone. Also I tested with 20g of fuel as I was hoping to extinguish it to get a idea of how much I need, then readjust. The higher then normal fuel level might have contributed to a quick burn time.

Still making these if anyone is interested in trying them out. They really are nice stoves...$15 plus $5 shipping.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Images

How about a trade, Fancee Feest for a Hipbone :-) Fancee Feest is a one piece integrated pot support stove cost $16.00+$4.00 ship

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    How about a trade, Fancee Feest for a Hipbone :-) Fancee Feest is a one piece integrated pot support stove cost $16.00+$4.00 ship

Nice trade! I have a trip coming up as soon as the days are a little longer...It'll go with me

pm me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++