WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AL Section in January - Tips?

Hey all. I'm planning on hiking the AL section of the Pinhoti in mid-late January. Expecting lows in the 20s and highs in the 60s. I know snow is possible, but don't expect to be walking in it most of the time. Do I have the right idea? Any tips appreciated.

Last Friday was our largest snow event of the millennium (we got 5-6") and it was gone by Sunday. Unlikely to get any snow but if it does it should be very manageable and perhaps enjoyable. Being cold from rain is much more of a concern.

I hiked the AL portion in January a few years ago and didn’t have any issues. I encountered snow when I got close to GA, but as mentioned it was enjoyable. I may have passed one or two other hikers and water is not an issue.

DSCN0735.JPG Here is a picture of snow on the pinhoti

When was that taken, Echo?

Thanks, everyone.

Just saw you posted twice in a row, so that's from when you hiked it a few years ago, then?

I believe it was in 2012, a lot of nice memories from that trip. I’m planning another hike in February or March. I’ll begin at Flagg mountain, I started that hike at the Horn section that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Hey all. I'm planning on hiking the AL section of the Pinhoti in mid-late January. Expecting lows in the 20s and highs in the 60s. I know snow is possible, but don't expect to be walking in it most of the time. Do I have the right idea? Any tips appreciated.
    Went NOBO starting at Southern PT terminus late Jan about 3 yrs ago. Continued SOBO on the BMT at the northern PT terminus where the PT junctions with the BMT. Finished at Springer Mt where I met a fellow WBer offering a ride back to where he was passing right by my house in Alpharetta. Was initially planning on finishing at Amicalla Falls SP.

Westher experienced was as you are anticipating. A few days may have reached 70*. It snowed 3-4" another day got no trace the next midday. Got freezing/cold rain another 2 days. One other day a dusting.

Appreciate the input from the both of y'all. And merry Christmas!

I've hiked the AL pinhoti in shorts in january, but just like you think it will get cold at night. I think most nights you will be at low 30s, but it certain can get into the 20s.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

++ New Posts ++